Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2006, 3:38 PM   #1

Can anyone help me to find a flash for Sigma SD9 which fully TTL compatible ( other than Sigma EF-500 DG ST or EF-500 DG Super) ? Thanks in advance.
nhh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2006, 9:48 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not aware of anyone other than Sigma that makes a dedicated strobe for it.

Metz makes strobes for many popular brands. But, their web site said they had no plans to make one for Sigma DSLR models, suggesting using one in wireless mode triggered by the camera's flash instead.

I checked Ebay and didn't see any third party strobes dedicated to Sigma DSLR models either. Usually, you see some third party strobes around for other brands.

But, given Sigma's much smaller market share in comparison to other DSLR makers, other strobe manufacturers may not want to spend the effort to design one for it.

Is there a reason you don't want to use a Sigma strobe? They're relatively inexpensive compared to strobes with similar functionality.

If you were willing to go manual exposure on the camera and set it to match a strobe (versus using a dedicated strobe), then you'd have lots of inexpensive options.

You could probably pick up a used Sunpak 333 Auto or similar strobe for around $25 or less on Ebay.

Then, just set the camera to match the aperture range on the strobe and let the flash control it's own output via the amount of reflected light it sees. It's not that difficult to use a non-dedicated Auto Thryistor type strobe if you don't mind using manual exposure on the camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:14 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply. I have Sunpak MZ4000AF (for Nikon) and PZ440AF (for Canon) which I use as a remote flash for my Minolta Maxxum 700si. I think I will try those flashes manually with the SD9. The reasonfor not buying a Sigma flash is because of my budget.
nhh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 2:38 AM   #4
Administrator

Yep... I know how that goes. lol

If you already had a Maxxum SLR, I probably would have tried to get a Maxxum DSLR (you could use the same lenses on one). Some of our forum members have found some pretty good deals lately on KM DSLR models at Circuit City stores (under $500).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

But, I'm biased since I'm shooting with a KM DSLR now (Maxxum 5D).

I spent a total of $48 for a flash system to use with my Maxxum 5D (and that included two strobes). I had to buy newer used strobes, since my old Vivitars have trigger voltages that are too high (it's best to use strobes with lower trigger voltages on many newer digital cameras). lol

* $16 for a third party adapter to give the 5D an ISO standard hotshoe (works like the Minolta FS-1100).

* a Sunpak 222 Auto with tilt and two aperture ranges for a smaller flash unit (GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100) for $7.00 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

* a Sunpak 333 Auto with tilt, swivel and zoom head with multiple auto aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16).

GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting. I got this one for $25 (like new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H).

Total Flash System Investment: $48

Both strobes have nice scales for aperture needed for the selected auto range based on the ISO speed selected

So, used Auto Thyristor strobes are relatively inexpensive on the used market if you don't mind using Manual Exposure.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 8:24 PM   #5
DSG

Both the Metz 40mz-3i and 54mz-3 both work fine in manual mode on the SD10 (You simply set the flash manually).

However, there is just a slightpossibilty that they might also be able towork in full S-TTL mode if you use the Canon EF adapter?...This came to light recently when someone used a Canon off-camera lead and his Sigma flashgun worked fine in TTL mode...And it also means that Canon EF flashgunsmight also work on the SD9 and SD10 in full TTL mode...I dont have a Canon flashgun here to try it myself so I have asked anyone that might have one to give it a try...I'm still waiting for the answer.

Regards

DSG

DSG is offline   Reply With Quote