Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sigma dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:13 PM   #1

[align=left]I have been reading about foveon x3, but most of the time I was looking at pictures taken with the Sigma SD10 and SD9 and I MUST tell you that indeed the quality is AWESOME, the sharpness of the image (cause no sharpness needed and no Anti-alising) is A-W-E-S-O-M-E !

I decided right away that I want their new SD14, but I know that we should hold on till we see whats in the box, of course the are many disadvantages that must be taken care of (High ISO performance... etc...etc) but lets hope that it will be a great surprise.

About marketing , I hope that sigma will dive into the right path, because this is the best way to grow your costumers nest, sigma has great sensor, and should be developed their bodies in a way that they can build a long term investment in their technology by grouping with another imaging company to gain more technology to developed competing bodies and improve their marketing, build a friendly-user web site with more information for DSLR photographers that explain to them the advantage of their sensor with examples that will emphasize their lead in the ability to produce images that NO other DSLR in the market today can produce (and believe me it is possible !).

They should developed a user-friendly, yet professional software like any other manufacturer has to arrange, transfer and edit photos from the camera.

Sigma are U-N-I-Q-U-E ! and should invest in their marketing by emphasizing that in many ways, teasers are nice, I like the new teaser from Sigma about the new SD14, and of course it made you expect for something new something unique and I hope Sigma has it in their hands this time, time will tell and I must tell you that I will be there costumer, I don't care if all the world will use Canon or Nikon or whatever, cause I believe in the Technology of their sensor and I believe that they will bring something new and unique to the world of photography ! not just dust cleaners stuff or the Mega pixel war ...etc. We all want IMAGE QUALITY and that is going to be changed soon enough.... enjoy the ride .....

Please take a look at this LINK

picture from the teaser: PIC1 PIC2

teaser's LINK

huge amount of sigma SD10 and SD9 photos at this LINK

[/align]

[align=left]
PLEASE SHARE YOUR OPINION ...[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]

[/align]
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2006, 5:43 AM   #2

I wonder how many mega-pixels will it have.

Which level will it be aimed at.

Looks like a nice dSLR to me.
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 4:03 PM   #3

the camera includes a 4.65MP sensor (13.93MP after X3) in a 1.7 crop factor (20.7mm x 13.8mm).
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:31 PM   #4

I've made a scientific test (he.. he ...):

I took a photograph taken with Canon 30D at full resolution (8 MP). Then I duplicate the photo so I kept the original open in Photoshop, then I took the duplicate one and resize it to half of the resolution (4 MP), after the resizing of the image, I then enlarge it again to the 8MP resolution, now you probably know that photoshop needs to do some interpolations of the pixel to fill them up to fit the new bigger image size because allot of information was lost due to the image resizing at the first step. Then I compared both photos (both enlarged 100%) one near the other and I couldn't believe my eyes, THEY LOOKED THE SAME ! . I suggest that you try it by yourself in order to see what I mean.

I came to a conclusion that is the sameresults the editors ofsigmadslr.com editors came across.

The Bayer CCD does interpolations of colors that uses an advanced algorithm in order to guess the correct color because each pixel of the CCD only measure on color (red, green or blue).

But know this, Foveon sensor doesn't do that it has three layers (for each color), so each pixel get to have the exact color without any guessing and check the links that I post earlier, The Images coming from this sensor are just revolutionary.

Don't trust my words only, search and read and gain knowledge before buying your new DSLR, know your options well.

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:52 AM   #5

Idan wrote:
Quote:
I then enlarge it again to the 8MP resolution, now you probably know that photoshop needs to do some interpolations of the pixel to fill them up to fit the new bigger image size
Photoshop enlarges photos using linear methods of interpolation which gets fuzzy pretty quick. Try using an adaptive interpolation program for sharper image upsizing, that is the kind of upsizing that most digital cameras use too.
SigmaSD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 6:39 AM   #6

So if the camera does fill up the gasp in that manner what is the advantages of a 8MP Bayer sensor over a 4MP Foveon sensor for me ?, taking into consideration that I won't print photos larger then A4 size.

And what is the differences in the color accuracy aspect ?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 5:43 PM   #7

SigmaSD9 wrote:
Quote:
Idan wrote:
Quote:
I then enlarge it again to the 8MP resolution, now you probably know that photoshop needs to do some interpolations of the pixel to fill them up to fit the new bigger image size
Photoshop enlarges photos using linear methods of interpolation which gets fuzzy pretty quick. Try using an adaptive interpolation program for sharper image upsizing, that is the kind of upsizing that most digital cameras use too.
Oh really? I have my Photoshop set to upsample using the bicubic method...
Old Sep 1, 2006, 12:42 AM   #8

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
SigmaSD9 wrote:
Quote:
Idan wrote:
Quote:
Oh really? I have my Photoshop set to upsample using the bicubic method...
Bicubic routines are linear in two dimensions. Adaptive interpolators first analyze the pixels to determine edges and vectors, thenchange routines on the fly to keep them sharp. Different images are upscaled differently by the same program

Old Sep 1, 2006, 1:01 AM   #9

Idan wrote:
Quote:
So if the camera does fill up the gasp in that manner what is the advantages of a 8MP Bayer sensor over a 4MP Foveon sensor for me ?, taking into consideration that I won't print photos larger then A4 size.

And what is the differences in the color accuracy aspect ?
Interpolation, no matter how convincing, is still aguess. I wasn't suggesting that digital interpolation is ever a suitable subsititute for optics. I was saying that your experiments would look even more similar to the camera-interpolated originals if you use an interpolator of the same quality as the camera.

The advantage of full color data isthat you can interpolate it up to four times it's optical size, too. Unfortunately, SPP uses simple bicubic upscaling post-RAW-conversion to record its 14MP images, so they look a little fuzzy compared to intelligent Bayerinterpolations interfacing directly with RAW data.

Complicating matters, there is no known objective truth anyway. Unless you take a picture with an optical camera and compare it pixel by pixel toan interpolated camera,who can say what was originally in the scene at the pixel level? Good adaptive interpolations actually get more and more convincing as they get less and less faithful to the original scene. Think of itlike the Photoshop Clone tool, findingpatterns and filling in gaps. Results can be extremely convincing, but they have nothing to do with optics.

So to answer your last question,Bayer pixel-level color accuracy is not achievable, not even knowable,and not really a goal. But like any statistical endeavor, even though I can't guess whethera penny will landheads or tails, I can say that it will average precisely50/50. So at the macro level, Bayer color accuracy istheoretically unaffected by interpolation.