Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-34/)
-   -   [Recovered Thread: 88637] (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-34/%5Brecovered-thread-88637%5D-86513/)

shakim Apr 12, 2006 12:46 PM

I am thinking about buying either the T9 or the new T30. Besides the megapixels, what are the major differences between the two? I read that the t30 is suppose to have this huge improvement on blurry images. Well doesn't the t9 have that as well. Something called image stabilization? Which is the better camera to buy?

ss5469 Apr 12, 2006 4:55 PM

T30's battery life is sooooo good!also it has 1000 iso speed.and about body? it is sooooo beatuful!^^much better than T9.^^

shakim Apr 13, 2006 10:54 AM

What is this double anti-blur protection I read in the t30's press release? Is it the same as image stabilization feature found on the t9? Correct me if I'm wrong isn't the following things the only difference between the two.

Mega Pixels, ISO, and a little change on the physical design.

ss5469 Apr 13, 2006 1:29 PM

I guess T9 and T30 use the same image stabilization system.According from dcresource,T30 is similar to T9, adding higher resolution CCD, high sensitivity mode, and more powerful batteryThe Super Steady Shot technology minimizes blur caused by shaky hands, while the new camera's high light sensitivity (ISO 1000) mode reduces blur resulting from shooting at faster shutter speeds. There's even added defense with Sony's Clear RAW™ noise reduction system, which kicks in to counter picture noise associated with high-sensitivity shooting.This is Sony's first T-series model to feature selectable color modes. Choose natural mode for subtle color variations or vivid mode for more intense colors, depending on how you want to preserve the mood from your night on the town.

kimberly175 May 1, 2006 1:17 AM

I just bought a T9 and a friend of mine bought a Japanese version of the T30 on ebay. The T30 battery lasts a little longer, but comparingpics at thesame ISO, the T9 has less image noise in low light. I've been very satisfied with my T9 so far and it blows away my old T1!

shakim May 1, 2006 1:19 PM

Yeah I owned the T1 as well. It sucked. Now I own the t7. This is better but it is too tiny to get stable pictures. I see the t9 and t30 are bigger in size so I am thinking about which to buy. My main concern is picture quality and blurriness. Most of the pictures I took in low lights either came out dark or blurry. Which do you feel has better solved this issue the t9 or t30?

mweb May 2, 2006 11:11 AM

T7 is quite capable in low light, no better or worse than any equivolent model IMO. + image stabilisation on a mere 3X optical zoom lens smacks of overkill!!.

T7 matches T9 & T30 95% of the time and is smaller, lighterand cheaper to boot.

shakim May 2, 2006 11:20 AM

I'm just trying to buy the best of the 2 T9 or T30. I get lots of blurry and yellowish pics with the T7. I hear the T9 and T30 fixed all that. So, which do I buy?

kimberly175 May 2, 2006 6:10 PM

I just bought a T9 and a friend of mine bought a Japanese version of the T30 on ebay. The T30 battery lasts a little longer, but comparingpics at thesame ISO, the T9 has less image noise in low light. I've been very satisfied with my T9 so far!

shakim May 2, 2006 11:59 PM

How about blurry pics and saturated images? Do you get lots of them when just point and shoot? Have you tried taking pics in low light? Is the flash better?

kimberly175 May 3, 2006 1:49 AM

The only time I get blurry pictures with my T9 is when I take pictures of moving objects without a flash, such as my dog. The colors seem very accurate, alot better than my old T1. The flash seems to be alot better on the T9 than the T1, but still causes alot of red-eye.

Everyone will have their opinion on which camera they like best, but I chose the T9 over the T30 because the images seem less noisy and it was cheaper. I'm very happy with my T9 and as long as the LCD doesn't get broken like it did on my T1, I think I'll have it for a very long time.

macboy May 4, 2006 12:51 PM

Here are the main differences that I have been able to learn, mostly by reading the user manuals:

Megapixels: T30 shoots in 7M, 5M, 3M, 2M, VGA, 16x9. T9 shoots in 6M, 3M, 1M, VGA, 16x9. (16x9 is 1920x1080 for HDTV). The T30 has a better selection of useful resolutions.

Movie mode: T30 can zoom in movie mode while filming, butthe T9 can not. Both can do 640x480 at 30 fps, with steadyshot, which makes movie mode actually useful.

Battery life: approximately doubled for the T30 over the T9.

Editting: [updated] Both the T30 and T9 can crop pictures, re-size to a lower resolution and rotate.

LCD: 3.0" for the T30 vs. 2.5" for the T9 (both 230k pixels). It may not seem like much difference, but it is 44% bigger.

Size and weight: The T30 is both bigger (95 mm x 56.5 mm x 23.3 mm thick vs. 90 mm x 55 x 20.6 mm thick) and heavier (168 g vs 159 g).

Bottom line: I bought the T9 last week and I am very impressed with it overall, especially the amazing SteadyShot, but I will be returning it and buying a T30 as soon as I can get my hands on one.

shakim May 4, 2006 1:24 PM

Reading all the differences you stated what would be your main reasons for returning the t9 and getting the t30? Is it more of a physical thing or some new or improved features. Doesn't the t9 take good pictures and doesn't have most of the important features of the t30 like image stabalization and anti blurr.

macboy May 4, 2006 1:45 PM

I am mostly after the vastly improved battery life. The 7 vs 6 MP is not a concern. I do like the bigger LCD and the ability to zoom in movie mode. You are right though, the T9 has almost all the same features as the T30.

akismei May 4, 2006 5:57 PM

i wouldnt recommend you any of those two.

chech this review :http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=2673

for sony t-9.

it says that :One unexpected abnormality I noticed while using the camera is that the flash, possibly due to the close proximity to the lens, often illuminates floating dust particles, which can ruin your shots. Often, white spots, most likely particles of dust floating by the lens appear in the picture. These spots were present in many of my pictures taken with the flash. I found this very disappointing.

here is what he means : http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/5259.jpg

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/assets/5262.jpg

i am an owner of the sony t5 and i too have the same probl

so why to bother buying it?

i forgot to mention that my sony center says that this is absolutly normal.!!!!:mad:

so i paid 350 euros to take pictures with dust that are not worth printing.

so why to bother buying it?

macboy May 9, 2006 10:11 PM

OK, so I bought a T30 today, and tomorrow the T9 goes back to the Sony Store. It was a fun couple weeks with the T9 but the T30 is the keeper.

I chose the T30 for its bigger screen, much much better battery life, and the ability to zoom in movie mode, which I actually intend to use a lot.

Other differences:
The T30 is notably larger than the T9. The specs indicate a mm or two here and there, but the difference is definitely not lost when you see the two side by side. The battery in the T30 is much bigger (thicker), so I suppose that had something to do with it.

The T30 has a feature called "Function Guide" which displays much more useful information on the screen when you are adjusting camera parameters, like shooting mode, flash mode, etc. It really is useful, especially for the wife/girlfriend who will use the camera, but will not have studied the manual.

The T30 is notably faster as well: you can flip through pictures much more quickly, t transferring to the computer is faster too (6.75 MB/s vs 4.75 MB/s for the T9, with the same Sandisk stick).

The T30's controls are smaller, due to the lack of space next to that huge LCD. The T9's controls are a little easier to use purely by feel, without hitting the wrong button.

Both are great cameras, but the T30 is my choice.

shakim May 10, 2006 12:01 AM

Great comparison but what about comparing the most important thing, image quality. How are the images in different environment, sunny, dark, indoor, outdoor, moving? Does the t30 have less blurriness and ghostly images than the t9. The reason i ask is that the t9 is about $150 less, and if there isn't alot of improvent in the images quality I can overlook the other minor improvements like MP and screen size.

macboy May 10, 2006 10:40 AM

So far my impression with image quality is that they are about the same. Given that the T30 is capable of higher ISO (1000 vs 640) it should be able to do a little better in low light without a flash, but how much better remains to be seen. Sony literature boasts: "Sony Clear RAW NR original algorithm system reduces colour and luminance noise, enabling shooting with significantly higher sensitivity (up to ISO1000)." Hopefully this will help reduce the noise associated with high ISO enough to make ISO 1000 actually usable. But we all know that you have to take marketting claims with a grain of salt. Consider this one: "This is Sonys first T-series model to feature selectable color modes. Choose natural mode for subtle color variations or vivid mode for more intense colors, depending on how you want to preserve the mood from your night on the town.". All that they did was remove the "saturation" menu itemand added "natural" and "vivid" to the list of effects (previously only B&W and Sepia). The result is the same; nothing was added,but the marketting department can claim a new feature.

mweb May 10, 2006 1:56 PM

shakim wrote:
Quote:

Great comparison but what about comparing the most important thing, image quality. How are the images in different environment, sunny, dark, indoor, outdoor, moving? Does the t30 have less blurriness and ghostly images than the t9. The reason i ask is that the t9 is about $150 less, and if there isn't alot of improvent in the images quality I can overlook the other minor improvements like MP and screen size.
You have complained about blur in most of Sony T series cameras, (something 99% of users do not experiance) I suggest you buy something with a much wider aperture range and something physically more substantial to counteract that problem.

samcheshire May 16, 2006 7:31 AM

The atrocious red eye problem on the Sony T9 due to lens and flash proximity can be a real annoyance. Do you find the problem is any better with the T30 ? :?

Considering buying the T9 OR T30, I do prefer the sleeker T9 unless the T30 has overcome to any large extent the red eye problem.

coronare Jun 3, 2006 9:29 AM

hi all

maybe it is not the place to ask, but if you have any sugestion pls dont hezitate

I bought a t9 from Dubai without warranty and the camera fell from a 1 meter-high wall :mad:while taking night pictures in Budapest. The autofocus just does not work corectly anymore. the software tests were performed at the sony service (but they are unexperienced in Romania). They sugested to change the whole lens-pack, which will cost aprox 300 euros, more than I paid for the camera in Dubai. Any sugestion where I can get cheaper and reliable service or order lens-pack?????

pls... Tks. Bye

rrgg Jul 13, 2006 5:54 PM

I realize the thread is getting old, but the T30 also has a better flash, which some people complained about with the T9.

To me, if the image quality is the same, then the T9 size outweighs the other factors like LCD & battery. Still haven't decided though.

macboy wrote:
Quote:

Here are the main differences that I have been able to learn, mostly by reading the user manuals:

Megapixels: T30 shoots in 7M, 5M, 3M, 2M, VGA, 16x9. T9 shoots in 6M, 3M, 1M, VGA, 16x9. (16x9 is 1920x1080 for HDTV). The T30 has a better selection of useful resolutions.

Movie mode: T30 can zoom in movie mode while filming, butthe T9 can not. Both can do 640x480 at 30 fps, with steadyshot, which makes movie mode actually useful.

Battery life: approximately doubled for the T30 over the T9.

Editting: [updated] Both the T30 and T9 can crop pictures, re-size to a lower resolution and rotate.

LCD: 3.0" for the T30 vs. 2.5" for the T9 (both 230k pixels). It may not seem like much difference, but it is 44% bigger.

Size and weight: The T30 is both bigger (95 mm x 56.5 mm x 23.3 mm thick vs. 90 mm x 55 x 20.6 mm thick) and heavier (168 g vs 159 g).

Bottom line: I bought the T9 last week and I am very impressed with it overall, especially the amazing SteadyShot, but I will be returning it and buying a T30 as soon as I can get my hands on one.

buliev Jul 26, 2006 7:58 PM

I was at the Sony shop today, looking on the T9 and T30 and trying to choose which one to buy as a present for my wife. I went almost convinced that T30 will be the winner but as I saw the two cameras next to each other I am not so sure anymore.

After reading reviews, forums, I could summarize the following: T30 has a bit more pixels 7.2M vs 6M; many people say it has a stronger flash but no one comments if it improves significantly the red eye reduction ability; T30 has almost double battery life - it has a 1200mAh NP-FR1 Li-Ion battery vs. 780mAh NP-FP1 Li-Ion of T9 (440 vs. 250 shots); T30 has zooming during video capturing, T9 doesn't; the SuperSteady Shot feature seems to be similar for both of them or at least no one observes significant difference; they say T30 the 3" LCD is 44% brighter than the 2.5" of T9, however is this a significant difference since the human eye has logarithmic intensity sensitivity; everybody says that the quality of the photos is roughly similar; some guy had written that there is a difference between the black covering of T9 (mat) and T30 (glossy like)and there was a question concerning the durability against scratching of this black covering but no one shared experience.

Today in the shop, I looked at a black T9 and silver T30. Although the difference in size is not big – few mm only, T9 looked much more compact. It looked also more stylish and mechanically well manufactured than T30. The front cover was moving smoothly, exactly as I expected no matter where exactly you push it. In contrary, you have to push the cover of T30 in the middle in order to obtain the same smooth motion and it is still not so smooth. I have the feeling that if I press it aside, something will bend and break. I did not like the large black frame with the camera controls on the silver model. On the black model, at least on the photos of T30 I have seen, it complies much better. Since the quality of the photos is similar, the battery life for me remains the main advantage of T30. The higher quality of the mechanical design and manufacturing of T9, as well as the compactness are however things that I like very much in T9.

T9 is sold for 350EU while T30 for 440EU. All Sony cameras are offered with a second battery at a half price till the end of the month. The one of T9 costs normally 70EU while I somehow missed to ask about the price of the T30 battery.

Can you give anything else against T9 and towards T30 so that to buy the newest and more expensive camera and to remain satisfied?

:?