Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-34/)
-   -   The Sometimes Forgotten HX1 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-34/sometimes-forgotten-hx1-181891/)

mtclimber Dec 24, 2010 9:27 PM

The Sometimes Forgotten HX1

When a super zoom is considered, it seems like the names Canon and Panasonic come to mind instantly. People should also think of the excellent 20X optical zoom HX1 as well.

It has recently come down in price. That might increase the interest in that fine camera. Here is a recent HX1 photo sample.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...52_Tz5CK-L.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce

Marawder Dec 25, 2010 4:45 AM

Merry Christmas Sarah ! :)

Is the IQ of the HX1 better than that of the HX5 ?

Does is also use NR ? :(

mtclimber Dec 25, 2010 9:29 AM

Merry Christmas, Marawder-

It is just my opinion, but yes, I feel that the HX1's image quality is considerably better than the HX5. As an added bonus you also get HD video, 20X optical zoom, and numerically high ISO settings that retain full color saturation, which the HX5 does not.

Sarah Joyce

Frank B Dec 25, 2010 8:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1182060)
Merry Christmas, Marawder-

It is just my opinion, but yes, I feel that the HX1's image quality is considerably better than the HX5. As an added bonus you also get HD video, 20X optical zoom, and numerically high ISO settings that retain full color saturation, which the HX5 does not.

Sarah Joyce

I have not compared image quality, but I think for many we are talking Apples and Oranges. I switched from a DSLR to a compact camera because I wanted a camera I could carry in my pocket. The HX5 meets that requirement and I have been pleased with its image quality. Also the 25mm wide angle is very important to me. I am not sure if I could live with 28mm.

I

mtclimber Dec 26, 2010 10:27 AM

Frank-

Everyone of us as camera users have different priorities. I am glad to hear that the HX5 meets your need quite nicely. I purchased and sold off the HX5 as it did not work well for me.

The HX1 is not my only camera. I active shoot with 18 different cameras, including DSLR cameras. So we each have to be true to our own personal requirements. 'Not to worry.

Sarah Joyce

FiveO Dec 26, 2010 4:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marawder (Post 1182005)
Is the IQ of the HX1 better than that of the HX5 ?

Does is also use NR ? :(

So far I only have image samples posted by others to compare to my own HX5V images but I think the HX1 photos look considerably better. The HX1 seems to use much less aggressive NR than the HX5V and you can turn it down further in-camera, which you cannot do on the HX5V.

costa Jan 4, 2011 11:30 AM

i prefer the iq of my hx5 over the of of my hx1

babya Jan 5, 2011 5:56 AM

I've had my HX1 and it's one of the best Sony superzooms-I like the SLR like styling and the handheld twilight, sweep panorama and the HD movie recording are some of the features I most.

The titlting 3" screen is fantastic.

sprig9an Jan 16, 2011 9:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babya (Post 1185992)
I've had my HX1 and it's one of the best Sony superzooms-I like the SLR like styling and the handheld twilight, sweep panorama and the HD movie recording are some of the features I most.

The titlting 3" screen is fantastic.

these are the strongest features.. :) I love this camera.. Its more than a year since I bought mine..

texasmom Jan 26, 2011 7:50 PM

I just bought the hx1 and have discovered that my computer does not have a slot for the produo stick. I don't want to use the battery to download my photos to my computer.
What does anyone use to download the photos off hx1? I have a mac and a pc.
My sandisk image 8 in 1 reader does not support the produo stick .
I din't know how many small investments and trips I would be making to use Sony hx1.
Thanks for any advice.

sprig9an Feb 1, 2011 2:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasmom (Post 1194654)
I just bought the hx1 and have discovered that my computer does not have a slot for the produo stick. I don't want to use the battery to download my photos to my computer.
What does anyone use to download the photos off hx1? I have a mac and a pc.
My sandisk image 8 in 1 reader does not support the produo stick .
I din't know how many small investments and trips I would be making to use Sony hx1.
Thanks for any advice.

i only use the supplied usb/av cable to transfer the photos/videos from hx1 to pc.. you can buy a card reader for produo..

mtclimber Feb 7, 2011 8:31 AM

sprig-

Card readers are really inexpensive now. Consider the advantages:

1. if the HX1 battery fails during the download, some or all of the photos in the download are lost, that does not happen with a card reader.

2. Depending on your computer, a card reader is actually fasted than downloading via cable.

3. Using a car reader there is less wear and tear on the HX1.

Sarah Joyce

sprig9an Mar 1, 2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtclimber (Post 1198125)
sprig-

Card readers are really inexpensive now. Consider the advantages:

1. if the HX1 battery fails during the download, some or all of the photos in the download are lost, that does not happen with a card reader.

2. Depending on your computer, a card reader is actually fasted than downloading via cable.

3. Using a car reader there is less wear and tear on the HX1.

Sarah Joyce

yup.. thanks! :) but i don't have one lol.. lazy to buy one haha..