Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 18, 2019, 1:17 PM   #1

Default Sony A6000 Focal Length

Greetings,

Can someone help me understand how the focal length of a lens doubles using a Sony Alpha 6000 camera? I heard that if you put a 150 - 600mm lens on this camera body that it will double the focal length using 'Clear Image' zoom to 300 - 1200mm. I have not used this feature yet and started doing online research. From what I have read it seems to be used for video. I am not interested in video but rather photos of wildlife. Has anyone used this feature for wildlife? How does this 2X focal length work? Am I understanding this correctly that it can be done? A friend told me it was possible she has a Sony A68 and says it has doubled her focal length on her Tamron 150 - 600mm lens.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.
Tangula
Old May 18, 2019, 5:28 PM   #2

TCav

One that seems up your alley ... over to you matey -

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 9:15 PM   #3

1. 1. The focal length of a lens is a physical property of that lens, and doesn't change with the camera it's attached to.
  2. The A6000 uses an APS-C size image sensor, which reduces the angle of view of whatever lens is mounted on it, so the 35mm equivalent focal length is 1.5X what the lens itself show.
  3. The 'ClearImage Zoom' feature in many Sony interchangeable lens cameras is an elaborate digital zoom, that claims to have less image deterioration than conventional Digital Zoom. ClearImage Zoom is capable of 2X the angle of view of using the camera without it.
It's not a shortcut to greater zoom range without at least some image degradation, and you probably won't want to use it for everything, but it can be useful when used occasionally.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 9:25 PM   #4

TCav,

Thank you so much for your reply. I want to shoot wildlife, birds, fox, misc animals. I have a friend who has the Sony A68 and she says it multiplies the focal length by 2X. I am wondering if that is the same for my camera as well?

Last edited by Lotuslady; May 18, 2019 at 9:35 PM.
Lotuslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 12:22 PM   #5

ClearImage Zoom can go as far as 2X on the A6000.

It won't be as sharp as just the optical zoom, but it might be better than just cropping.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:22 PM   #6

G'day TCav + Tangula

I was not sure about the Sony 'doubling' reference - so that's why I left it to you .... thanks
The thing you describe sounds identical to the Panasonic 'Ezy-zoom' feature that is claimed to increase image size "without any decrease in image quality". On the Panasonic cameras, I have the choice of a 1,4x or 2x Ezy-zoom option

Tangula - I have used the Panny Ezy-zoom option on many occasions and it is very effective. My Panny cameras are both m4/3 sensor SLR and the small-sensor superzoom jobs, and I have no issues with printing a nice sharp image as 8" x 12" to an occasional 24" wide print

Hope this helps
Phil
Old May 20, 2019, 7:31 AM   #7

Thank you both for your responses. I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to answer my question. I cannot wait to use my lenses on my Sony now that I know this. While I know it is best to get as close as possible to an object for best results. I do on occasion, with birds, need to take photos at distances that require a bit more camera/lens reach. I don't want to be disturbing some animals and others I simply cannot get close enough too.

Ozzy I am glad that you have had good luck with your Panasonic Ezy-zoom. Too bad the big long reaching lenses are too expensive. I never thought I would be whining about that once I got my 150 - 600 ha ha. But it is what it is. I have missed quite a few photo opportunities due to not getting close enough. As I type this who am I kidding I miss photo ops with a bird sitting next to me too. LOL

You both have a wonderful week!
Tangula
Old May 20, 2019, 5:44 PM   #8

G'day Tangula

It is well known here that I enjoy the superzoom cameras for their convenience and great handling
I prefer the Panasonic FZ-100, 200, 300 bodies for their excellent constant-aperture 24x zoom lenses ~ here's some samples

The target is a communications tower "about 1/4-mile away"

1x zoom

10x zoom

24x zoom extended via Ezy-zoom to 35x zoom

a 100% crop from the above image

Now- if I can do this with a small sensor $us350 all-in-one camera, imagine what you can do with a damn good lens bolted onto an equally damn good camera !!
Phil
Old May 23, 2019, 10:46 PM   #9

Ozzie,

Thank you so much for sharing these examples. That is truly amazing how much zoom you have with that camera. I will be working with my Sony Alpha 6000 to see if I can use the Clear Image zoom to capture some of these little song birds passing thru once I get my Metabones. I will be sure to let you know how it goes. I am hoping by the time I am ready for an upgraded camera someone will have developed a super zoom lens that is not a monster in weight.
Old May 24, 2019, 3:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuslady View Post
... I am hoping by the time I am ready for an upgraded camera someone will have developed a super zoom lens that is not a monster in weight.
Good luck with that.