Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums >

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 6, 2019, 2:15 AM   #1

Default Sony DSLR, Canon-mount lenses?

Given the possibility that Canon may flip the bird to millions of 7D Mk II users and go off down the mirrorless rabbit hole, or try to foist of a glorified 80D in lieu of a 7D Mk III, I'm considering options. I suppose I could just keep buying used 7D Mk II's until there aren't any decent ones left, but that doesn't seem like a viable long-term strategy. I'm considering switching systems in the event that Canon chooses to screw over all the 7D2 users out there, but jumping to Nikon is a hugely expensive proposition I can't afford on a fixed income. I've heard that Sony has adapters that will allow use of Canon lenses on their Alpha DSLR bodies such as the a77 II that use the A-mount system. If true, that might be a viable option... if those adapters will allow me to use 3rd party Canon-mount lenses like the Tamron 150-600. Does anyone know A) if such adapters do exist, and B) whether they work with Tamron lenses?

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2019, 4:46 PM   #2

G'day Rocky

To the best of my knowledge - via DP Review mostly - both Canon & Nikon say that "legacy" systems with mirror mechanism will be with us for many years to come. I presume from this that the beloved 7D series will continue and that the mirrorless systems will primarily be aimed towards 'consumer' level cameras

As to your other Q re- tamron lenses etc - I'll leave that to others who will know more on the topic

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2019, 9:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Rocky
To the best of my knowledge - via DP Review mostly - both Canon & Nikon say that "legacy" systems with mirror mechanism will be with us for many years to come. I presume from this that the beloved 7D series will continue and that the mirrorless systems will primarily be aimed towards 'consumer' level cameras
As to your other Q re- tamron lenses etc - I'll leave that to others who will know more on the topic
Hope this helps
Phil
Thanks, Phil! From what I've been hearing - it's all hearsay at this point - Canon is trying to push consumers toward the mirrorless models, and have been talking about merging the 7D and 80D into some sort of bastardized offering that's heavy on gimmicks and light on serious imaging improvements like better low-light performance, faster AF with better tracking, etc. There are a bazillion wildlife/sports/action photographers out there like myself, who really would like to see the 7D Mk III released with some real improvements in dynamic range, high-ISO performance, AF tracking and sensitivity, etc. I just hope Canon is listening!

Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering...
~ Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 5:21 AM   #4

You can't mount a Canon EF Mount lens on a Sony A-Mount body (2 and 3 digit model numbers).

The adapters you've been hearing about are for Sony's E-Mount, mirrorless bodies (1 and 4 digit model numbers. And, while Sony doesn't make them, many others do, and Metabones and Sigma seem to make the best of them.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 5:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
Thanks, Phil! ..... There are a bazillion wildlife/sports/action photographers out there like myself, who really would like to see the 7D Mk III released with some real improvements in dynamic range, high-ISO performance, AF tracking and sensitivity, etc. I just hope Canon is listening!
Yes mate - the 'togs who cover the Olympics + similar sports need the super fast focus &other things that are built-in to the current high end cameras, and that sort of stuff is where the makers are talking about 'legacy systems with mirrored bodies' being around for many years to come. The "us everyday comsumers" who don't need that technology [coz the baby doesn't go that fast] will be expected to enjoy the more sedate focussing available by other means

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 12:54 PM   #6

Rocky,

I know that you are not interested in the mirrorless cameras. However, a while back I bought a Sony Alpha 6000 and LOVE it. The Metabones Gen 5 works very well allowing the use of the Tamron and Canon lenses. I myself think the Sony has much better color than my Canon cameras. I cannot say that has anything to do with the mirrorless portion but you really should rent one of these cameras and give it a try. I was skeptical also and bought my camera used as I had someone who fixed a motor on one of my Canon lenses encourage me to try the Alpha 6000. After using it I am SERIOUSLY considering switching to Sony and perhaps upgrade to a better Sony camera.

Now to be honest, I don't have the Metabones as of today, but a friend had it on his Sony with a Canon and Tamron lens on each of his Sonys and I got to play around with it one afternoon. I will be ordering one as soon as I am able to swing the expense. Once I get one I will let you know my thoughts on the quality I get taking wildlife photos. I agree with you that I would never sell my Canon 7D Mark II and will buy another one if something should ever happen to mine. But the photos I have taken with my Sony (landscape, indoor portraits, flowers) do have amazing colors and I am very happy with it.

Good luck!
Tangula