Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt-77/)
-   -   Thinking of selling my 5Ds and getting an Alpha (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt-77/thinking-selling-my-5ds-getting-alpha-102209/)

meanstreak Sep 27, 2006 11:21 AM

Maybe this is a byproduct of not needed any more lenses but I am getting this weird craving to buy an Alpha. I don't want to spend any money but since I have 4 cameras I may not have to. I figure I can keep my 7Ds and just sell my 2 5Ds.

One is brand new except for a few test photos and the other has a few hundred shots. The brand new one is a couple months old and I have a transferable Mack warranty, the other was has no accessories but has an addtional 1 year warrnty at Circuit City. I'm not sure it is transferable butI was smart enough to get a gift receipt so who ever buys it should be able to retain the warranty. I figure I can probably get enough for both of them on EBay to buy an Alpha. Question is, do I bother?

It would be nice to have the 10 MP and I think I can live with the extra noise. What I'm not sure of is did Sony fix the problems that were inherent in the 5D. If I knew that there is a good chance that it might end up with the first shot black issues or the AS issue, I don't think it is a smart move except the service/supportmight be a bit better.

Of course I would be giving up an extra camera, but I don't need 4. I like having two2 7Ds, one for backup in case I have a problem andsince a Sony version is still questionable.I figure anAlpha for when I want to travel light like I do now with the 5D would be adequate.

So, if you were me, would you keep the 5Ds or would you take the plunge? Of course I could wait a bit to see if the Sony comes down, if the reliability is better or wait for a 7D replacement, but I don't want the 5Ds to lose value.





meanstreak Sep 27, 2006 12:46 PM

Note: This is not a serious thought but it does cross my mind. Someone save me from this madness!

Hawaii Built Sep 27, 2006 12:55 PM

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

Note: This is not a serious thought but it does cross my mind. Someone save me from this madness!
yo meanstreak-

not sure if you can be saved :evil:. perhaps all those lenses are driving you bonkers. i can see the only real intervention is for me to e-mail you my mailing address so you can pack all that cursed glass in a box and fed-ex it to me. i'll throw it in the volcano for you.

about your hankering for an alpha. it got me scratching my head... 2 5D's vs. 1 alpha... oh boy, i wish i had that kind of problems...

~aloha~

meanstreak Sep 27, 2006 1:01 PM

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

Note: This is not a serious thought but it does cross my mind. Someone save me from this madness!
yo meanstreak-

not sure if you can be saved :evil:. perhaps all those lenses are driving you bonkers. i can see the only real intervention is for me to e-mail you my mailing address so you can pack all that cursed glass in a box and fed-ex it to me. i'll throw it in the volcano for you.

about your hankering for an alpha. it got me scratching my head... 2 5D's vs. 1 alpha... oh boy, i wish i had that kind of problems...

~aloha~
Actually, I might be able to sell one 5D and some junk lenses to get 1 Alpha. Then again.... I could just keep the cash or buy 1"G" lens. I just don't think I need 4 cameras. I favour my 7D and Ilike the fact that I have one as backup. Having a 5D is nice too but I don't really need a backup one of those. The reason I have two 5Ds is that I got them dirt cheap after my first 7D. Had the Walmart 7D deal for 599 come out earlier, I would probabaly only own 1 5D.



JimC Sep 28, 2006 8:22 AM

Go for it.

Then, show us lots of photos. ;-)



meanstreak Sep 28, 2006 11:36 AM

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Go for it.

Then, show us lots of photos. ;-)



I think my best bet might be to try and sell them now and see if a 7D replacement is coming out at Photokina. I would hate to buy a 100 now and then want to upgrade to something higher. Of course, I'll bet that will run almost double. BTW...When is Photokina way?



cope Sep 28, 2006 11:47 AM

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Go for it.

Then, show us lots of photos. ;-)



I think my best bet might be to try and sell them now and see if a 7D replacement is coming out at Photokina. I would hate to buy a 100 now and then want to upgrade to something higher. Of course, I'll bet that will run almost double. BTW...When is Photokina way?


Photokina is going on as we speak.

JimC Sep 28, 2006 11:49 AM

Photokina is underway right now in Cologne, Germany . ;-)

It's running from September 26 through October 1 this year (it's only held every other year).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/photokina2006_index.html

The next major venue where new camera models are often launched is PMA. Of course, manufacturers often announce new models at dates other than when these shows are held, too.

http://www.pmai.org/


meanstreak Sep 28, 2006 12:57 PM

JimC wrote:
Quote:

Photokina is underway right now in Cologne, Germany . ;-)

It's running from September 26 through October 1 this year (it's only held every other year).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/photokina2006_index.html

The next major venue where new camera models are often launched is PMA. Of course, manufacturers often announce new models at dates other than when these shows are held, too.

http://www.pmai.org/


I'm amazing how well these manufacturers are keeping what's next under wraps until they are ready to release info. I guess if part of theirsurvival tactics.

tmoreau Sep 28, 2006 1:35 PM

You definatly have too many cameras, but I do see how you ended up that way. Two 7D's is a good idea, and a 5d/a100 for lightweight sounds reasonable. I think you should sell the 5D's, I doubt thier value is going to increase! Then wait 1-2 months until the christmas discounts start on the A100, price will drop at least $100 I bet.

Certainly Sony will produce another body, they could try to go real cheap (d50/*ist) but I suspect they will target mid-level instead (7D/30D). Too soon to go for full-blown professional, especially with no lenses. I'm thinking if they didnt anounce it at photokina its not coming before christmas. They cant wait too long though, if they still only have the a100 next summer thier sunk.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.