Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:53 AM   #1

thinkin about upgrading from my 5d, i love the camera but not sure if i want to keep investing $ in flashes, lens', etc if i am not happy with the alpha. I have shot for about 7-8 years and i was hoping to continue on with minolta thinking they would continue to bring out some mid to high end digital slr bodies. i have already invested a ton in minolta equip and love it so i wont just up and quit using it but i dont want to continue to purchase stuff if the upgrade body isnt going to be worth it. hoping for some opinions on this issue. thinkin about possible switch to nikon d200 or possibly d80 if results appear to be good.
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2

I'm not sure about the flashes. I read that they are supposed to be compatible. But as far as lenses go everything is supposed to be compatible with very few exceptions.

Others may have more insightful comments and recommendations but for what its worth I don't know that you want to switch from the 5D to an A100. It wouldn't truly be stepping up. You'd gain a couple features but in some respects you'd end up with more noise depending on what ISO your used to shooting at.

Its anybodys guess as to when Sony might release the next dslr. Some say this fall. Others say not for some time.

I've contemplated switching over to over to Nikon or Canon as well. The A100 doesn't suite my needs and I don't know if I care to wait a long time for a 7Dii or 9Dii Sony. However do your homework if you are preparing to switch. I hear mention that the D200 has issues with it as well. And I think I heard mention that Canon should be releasing there next dslr around the holidays.
Kumakichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 1:01 PM   #3

I had a few moments of frustration recently regarding the availibility of some lenses, and the fact that most minolta telephoto lenses are fetching a huge premium right now compared to the other brands. I sat down and did my homework for a switch and found some interesting things.

Canon and nikon each were missing a lens or two in thier lineups that I would like to have, and each had at least one lens that I wanted which was prices WAY over what I could spend on it. Considering what I could sell my stuff for, what I'd have to spend, and how little that situation is going to change in two or five years, I realized I have no reason at all to switch. If I have reason to later, I can address it then.

However, I did decide to ditch the minolta flash system. I bought a hot-shoe adapter and some radio triggers so that I can use cheaper obsolete flashes. Its more flexible for me, but of couse dosent allow auto TTL operation. For what I sold my Sigma EF500DG Super for I bought two flashes, radio triggers, an umbrella, and other goodies.

Flashes seem to lose compatibility every few years and then immediatly lose thier value. Minolta, Nikon, and Canon all seem suceptible. You have to buy them expecting to get your money back in usage. Lenses are a good investment because there will be a second-hand market for them for a long time.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 2:24 PM   #4

I really doubt the Alpha is the only DSLR Sony is going to release. I am using my 7D (& continuing to buy lenses, etc. for it) untill they come out with a Pro quality body. That's when I'll consider upgrading...
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5

Thanks for the info.

My concern is that i have read some articles that sony is focusing their attention on the entry level dslr which concerns me that they arent going to release a mid to high end dslr. hate to keep buying lenses if i am not happy with future bodies. definately would not go canon. do like nikon though.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:19 PM   #6

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
I really doubt the Alpha is the only DSLR Sony is going to release. I am using my 7D (& continuing to buy lenses, etc. for it) untill they come out with a Pro quality body. That's when I'll consider upgrading...
I agree, Sony is in it for the long haul. They might even change things to the extent thatfuture models have little left to remind us it used to be a KM product except for the mount, but the Alpha 100 is just the beginning. I think the Alpha will sell despite the noise complaints, I just hope they improve their customer service.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 1:39 PM   #7

that is the answer i was hoping to here. i would hate to to have to start collecting equipment all over again. thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 2:33 PM   #8

ecap wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

My concern is that i have read some articles that sony is focusing their attention on the entry level dslr which concerns me that they arent going to release a mid to high end dslr. hate to keep buying lenses if i am not happy with future bodies. definately would not go canon. do like nikon though.
I have read, and believe, that entry level is where the money is, due to volume. Sony had to start somewhere, and entry level makes the most financial sense, even though we who aklready own 5D/7D bodies hoped for a more advanced camera.

As Meanstreak and Kalypso have stated, Sony is around for the long haul, and they have years of experience with pro-level equipment on the video side.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 7:57 PM   #9

I agree with the above, mostly.

The entry level DSLR market is where the money is and since Alpha is their first offering it makes sense to start there.

Oddly though, thier lenses don't reflect any entry level prices. There is no 50mm 1.7 available and their 50mm 1.4 is priced over $300. I'm sure it's a sharp and bright lens, but having no 50mm prime selling under $300 does suggest that they're marketing lenses over entry level. The cheapest lens (the 17-80 'kit' lens) is selling for $199, which it's performance simply doesn't command. (the KM badged ones aren't selling over $100 in the open market) Is anyone buying a $900 body going to invest into a $4000-8000 APO G lens? My question wouldn't be 'why no pro bodies?', but rather 'why no consumer lenses?'. It does imply that Sony intends to impress us at some point with their bodies.

I don't know if that strategy pays off,and for right now Alpha buyers can avoid buying Sony glass by buying used Minolta lenses. If you were looking to switch to another system, it's a pretty good time to sell Minolta glass. ( I think it'll get even better soon)

Of course, Nikon and Canon gear isn't really any cheaper. The benefit to buying into their systems are guaranteed upgrade path, and solid support (which Sony has not yet proven)

If I was in the market for a new system today, Sony would not be on my short list. I do believe they will offer a higher level body but the support issue must be answered before I'd buy into a system that doesn't offer lenses at consumer grade prices. I'd be worried about taking a beating on the lenses down the road if the pro-level cameras are not well accepted.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:22 PM   #10

They just entered the DSLR market. I'm not surprised that they don't have the lens selection of Canon, Nikon (or Minolta for that matter). I have a Minolta 50mm/f1.7 & I paid less than $60.00 for it (& it will work on the Alpha just fine).