Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 10, 2006, 9:17 PM   #1

what software with work with the sony alpha to control it with my laptop. looking to shot star trails etc.
devilisht2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 5:43 PM   #2

someone must have an idea....
devilisht2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:59 PM   #3
Administrator

Not that I'm aware of.

For shooting star trails with a digital camera, your best bet is to take a series of photos at periodic intervals. Then stack them together later using software.

One product designed for this purpose is Image Stacker , and there are a few other products around, too (as well as some tutorials floating around the net for stacking photos using Photoshop).

It's better to use a series of shorter exposures versus one long exposure, because you'll have too much noise trying to shoot with a single long exposure.

You could use a self timer to minimize camera shake to help out taking the images, or use a cable release with it using Bulb mode (but, I wouldn't make the exposures too long, and you'll need to experiment for best results).

You can find 3rd party shutter release cables for around $20 on Ebay. Here is one example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=43443

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote