Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 13, 2006, 4:06 PM   #11

cjchambers wrote:
Quote:
cope:
Quote:
Sony is using a 7 year pro-rated warranty on out of warranty units, and a full buy back on those under warranty.
Mine is still under warranty. A buy back would be good, but I'm not going to get too excited yet. Sony may end up regretting buying KM cameras if they have to pay out refunds on every 5D sold!
The warranty laws in the US and abroad will dictate what Sony can and can't do.

FYI, it seems from what I see in the forums that Sony has been reparing more cameras than buying back except in the US. Maybe it's the repair facility, and maybe it's the replacementparts level.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:14 PM   #12

I filed a repair ticket at sony webpage for my 5D first-shot blackout and a sticky shutter button, and shipped my 5D to precision camera 9/8. Checked the sony webpage today 9/15 and they say its repaired and on its way back, no other details.

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:27 PM   #13
RJR

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
I filed a repair ticket at sony webpage for my 5D first-shot blackout and a sticky shutter button, and shipped my 5D to precision camera 9/8. Checked the sony webpage today 9/15 and they say its repaired and on its way back, no other details.
My son sent his 7D in and the website said his was repaired and shipped back but when he called to check on the shipping information they informed him that they wanted him to fax his origional receipt and they called the next day to let him know they were going to issue a full refund check on 9/13.

If there was no tracking information on the precision camera website link when you check the Sony site for your camera repair info you may want to call and follow up over the phone to make sure it really is being sent back.

He was happy because he is getting almost eleven hundred bucks and he already purchased a new one with a kit lens for seven hundred and fifty.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 1:23 AM   #14

This could be disastrous for Sony. There quite a fewKMs needing repair that are getting bought back.Makes wonder how long before people who paid a lot for their KMs fake the death of their camera or abuse it hoping it fails so that they get a refund. Lucky for Sony, most KMers especialy 7D owners don't want to jump on the Alpha otherwise I could see the flood gates opening up.

BTW... I thought KMs were experiancing major problems but I was wandering around the Nikon forum and their seem to be a lot of dying D70s. I'll bet all of these DSLR manufacturers are having issues. The difference is the others are probably getting repaired.

All in all, despite the hassle, at least Sony is doing something even if it only is because they are legally bound. I reccomend everyone that can buy a second body cheap do so. Simply because if your solo KM breaks, it may be a while before you get an answer on repair or replacement. That was not one of my original reasons for buying backup bodies but now I'm glad I did.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 5:23 PM   #15

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I thought KMs were experiancing major problems but I was wandering around the Nikon forum and their seem to be a lot of dying D70s. I'll bet all of these DSLR manufacturers are having issues.
It's no surprise to me. MostDSLRs are so complex, it's ridiculous. I can'thelp thinking thatIf my camera had noanti shake CCD, it wouldn't have broken!

They should cut down on the silly gimmicks and make a good, well made, decently priced back-to-basicsDSLR!
cjchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2006, 11:26 PM   #16

cjchambers wrote:
Quote:
They should cut down on the silly gimmicks and make a good, well made, decently priced back-to-basicsDSLR!
Like the new Lecia M8, but for $399. Revive the old MD lens format or better yet the konica mount with its adapters. Of course there isnt much incentive for that, but its neat to think about.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:40 PM   #17

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
"Like the new Lecia M8, but for $399."
You had me extremely excited for a split second, until Icame to the conclusionthat '$399'must bea typo. Apparently, it's about £3000 GBP.I'd have to sell a kidney to get that kind of money, lol. Seriously nice camera, though. Phwoar!

Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:46 AM   #18

Yes, but one kidney will only cover the cost of the camera. You'll still need to sell the other if you want a lens. Ye-owch!
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:14 PM   #19

It would be worth it . . . . . . . . . . :G