Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1

Hi There,

I have recently been suffering from an annoying intermittent fault on my Konica Minolta 5D.

When the camera is turned on, there is a 'chugging' sound (like a cross between an electric motor and a steam train) and the whole camera vibrates. When I try to take a picture, I find that the whole anti-shake graph in the viewfinder flashes, the AF will not work, and neither will the shutter release. If I switch it off and on again, it will do it again and again. Then, if I leave it for a while, and try it again, it's back to normal and working perfectly.

In the instruction book, it says that a flashing anti-shake scale indicates a 'CCD setup error'. The reccomended remedy is to turn the camera off and on again. That doesn't seem to be working, and I'm a bit worried that it might be the precursor to something more serious.

I would be grateful to hear if anyone else has had this fault with their 5D?

Thanks,
Chris

cjchambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Administrator

That's not a good sign.

I'd check your lens contacts to make sure they're clean, and remount your lens in case it's just a bad connection, or lens not mounted correctly causing it.

Try all switches, dials and buttons to make sure they're making a good connection, too (and not just stuck in the middle somewhere), making sure to get the AS on/off and MF/AF switch on the front, too.

Hopefully, it's just a bad connection or switch not all the way in the correct position somewhere causing it.

If you've got a different battery and memory card, I'd make sure to try them, too (just in case you've got a bad battery, or a defective memory card that's pulling too much current or something).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 12:47 PM   #3
RJR

My son had the same problems with his camera and had to send it in for repair. Another sign of the anti-shake failure is the buffer shows zero instead of the normal number of buffer shots available.

After about a month they notified him that it cannot be repaired (they have no parts) and they are in the process of refunding his original purchase price through Sony. His check for the full purchase amount is scheduled to be issued this Wednesday the 13th.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:56 PM   #4

Now you mention it, I do sometimes notice that the buffer shots display thing shows a zero . . . . That's great, thanks.

Now I know it's a definite fault, I'll be sending it off to the service centre as soon as I can. I just hope that they are being as generous in the UK as they are in the USA!

Thanks again for your help,
Chris
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:39 PM   #5

Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:40 PM   #6

I tried most of those things - not the memory card, though! Nice one. I'll try and remember that for future reference.

Whatever's wrong with it, I think it's going for a trip to the service centre pretty soon! I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something normal.

Thanks for your help,
Chris
Old Sep 11, 2006, 8:03 PM   #7

It seems that some cameras with this issue are indeed being repaired. Good luck.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 8:18 AM   #8

I've just responded to someone over in the KM non-slr forum who's having the same issue. A lot of other KM owners have experienced this fault.

It looks like a common KM problem (I believe that it's a design flaw/inherent fault that could be covered by the various sale of goods acts - which give you rights up to 6yrs for such faults).

Do you also get 'vertical shift' or vignetting? I did on my Z3.

Now I wonder how long it will be before Sony A100 owners start reporting similar faults?

Clive
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:45 AM   #9

Clive Egginton wrote:
Quote:
It looks like a common KM problem (I believe that it's a design flaw/inherent fault that could be covered by the various sale of goods acts - which give you rights up to 6yrs for such faults).

Clive
Sony is using a 7 year pro-rated warranty on out of warranty units, and a full buy back on those under warranty.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2006, 2:31 PM   #10

Clive Egginton:
Quote:
I certainly hope so - I don't much care what happens, as long as I don't end up £500 out of pocket. I hadn't noticed any vignetting, but I've never been convinced that thr anti-shake is actually working properly . . . . .

cope:
Quote:
Sony is using a 7 year pro-rated warranty on out of warranty units, and a full buy back on those under warranty.
Mine is still under warranty. A buy back would be good, but I'm not going to get too excited yet. Sony may end up regretting buying KM cameras if they have to pay out refunds on every 5D sold!