Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:36 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Hi All,

Was just out shooting some moto-x and the camera all of a sudden stopped working. I thought that it was that I had run out of memory but I still had 56 to go then looked and it was not showing an aperture setting on the back.

I removed the lens and put it back on a gain but still the same issue. Then tried another lens and nothing at all!!! Has anyone had this problem, any suggestions or do I get it sent away for repair?

Has anyone experienced the repair service (in the UK) since Sony took over?

Here is one of the pics taken before the problems.

Thanks,

Mark.

www.photographysmith.co.uk

Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 9:57 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd try the "usual" fixes, just to make sure it's not something simple:

* Make sure the contacts are clean (if you've tried other lenses, that's probably not the issue).

Given your symptoms, I'd also check the little spring loaded focus drive screw (as well as the pin on one side) of the camera's lens mount to make sure they're not dirty or sticking (I think that they should should press in and out without binding without a lens mounted, and snap into the lens when you do mount one).

* Make sure the battery is good, fully charged, and making a good connection (contacts are clean). Try another one if you have one.

* Use all switches, dials and buttons to make sure one isn't just stuck in between positions and/or not making a good connection from a bit of oxidation under a switch contact.

* Try a different memory card, too (just in case something failed in it, shorting out the camera or pulling too much current.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Hi Jim,

Tried everything (have4 other cards and 2 batts), moved all/both dials, checked the focus drive etc but still nothing!!

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Mark.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:31 AM   #4

http://www.dynaxdigital.com/index.php?topic=1765.0

this may help you out
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:43 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks Brett.

At the moment it seems to be working properly again which I think is good, although I now have that feeling in the back of my mind that it might all go horribly wrong while out shooting again.

I have decided that I need to have 2 cameras with me so either looking at getting a 2nd had 7D, waiting to see what Sony do to replace the 7D or jump ship to Canon and get a 30D with 350D as backup!!

Just can't decide at the moment what to do!!
Old Sep 19, 2006, 7:06 AM   #6

Mark, from what I have seen, repairs have been going better in the UK and Europe than in the states. Just within the past week or two, stateside repairs seem to have become better. before, sending your camera in meant getting a refund weeks later. Now it seems that cameras are actually being repaired for the most part. Good luck.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:31 PM   #7

Brett wrote: That is a different problem than the one posted.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote