Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 17, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1

If i want to use the 3600 HS D wirelessly with HSS, do i then have to use one 3600 on the hotshoe (or with off-shoe cord) tomake the wireless function to work with HSS on the other flash.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What i want to know is if i could use one external flash wirelessly? As i understand it the built in flash will only sync at 1/125 (1/160 without anti shake)

And yeah how does the wireless system work, is it a slave system or a IR?
mossberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:49 PM   #2

You can use a 3600 or 56oo qalone or with another flash; if used alone, you must have the on-board flash on.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:51 AM   #3

yes, but does it work with HSS, using lets say a 3600 and the built in flash? Or will it only sync at 1/160?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:51 AM   #4

oops dubble post, sorry...
Old Sep 18, 2006, 7:06 AM   #5

mossberg wrote:
Quote:
yes, but does it work with HSS, using lets say a 3600 and the built in flash? Or will it only sync at 1/160?
Yes it will. Instructions say to put flash on camera and set camera for HSS to set flash, but I don't see why it wouldn't work setting flash independantly also.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 9:44 AM   #6

All functions should be availible using the built-in flash as a controller, unless the manual says something different.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 10:15 AM   #7

Because once i pop up the built in flash it automaticly sets the sync speed to 1/160 no matter what mode im in, and i can't see why this would be any diffrent when having an external flash around... can you?

I mean it would be great if it worked but how will the camera know that i have another flash besides me... (changing flash mode in the menu does not enable HSS)

Maybe there is just one way to find out
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:42 AM   #8

mossberg wrote:
Quote:
Because once i pop up the built in flash it automaticly sets the sync speed to 1/160 no matter what mode im in, and i can't see why this would be any diffrent when having an external flash around... can you?

I mean it would be great if it worked but how will the camera know that i have another flash besides me... (changing flash mode in the menu does not enable HSS)

Maybe there is just one way to find out
It will depend upon what mode and what lens is attached where the camera sets shutter speed. I can manually override in S mode all the way to 1/4000.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 12:20 PM   #9

Yes, i have now read the manual and so now i know how it works, and now i know that i shouldhave listend to you guys,thanks for the help.

Oh and one more thing; how well does the signal from the camera to the flash work? Does a very light enviorment make it harder for the flash to recieve the signal? What type of signal is it exactly?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:41 PM   #10

mossberg wrote:
Quote:
Oh and one more thing; how well does the signal from the camera to the flash work? Does a very light enviorment make it harder for the flash to recieve the signal? What type of signal is it exactly?
The camera communicates with wireless 3600/5600 through the on-board flash. Dark room or well lighted should not matter as long as the front of the wireless flash can see the discharge from the on board.