Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 3, 2006, 9:48 AM   #21

JimC wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
so whats the review Jim?
I haven't used it yet. I just got around to opening it yesterday to make sure it arrived intact.

I was out taking a few photos last night. But, a 70-210mm would not have been my lens of choice for a small indoor birthday dinner. I used my Minolta 24-85mm for that, along with my "expensive" Sunpak 333 Auto (purchased for $25 in "as new in box" condition from the used dept. at B&H). lol

This Vivitar won't get much use. The longest lens I normally use is my Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8. Before this Vivitar, my longest lens in Maxxum mount was my Minolta 135mm f/2.8, and it's rarely used (too long on a DSLR for what I normally shoot).

I was hoping I'd go fishing this morning and bring this new Vivitar along to test drive. But, I wasn't able to make it. Unfortunatley, I'm playing "chauffeur" for my wife right now (she tore a tendon in her foot and can't drive).

Yeah, 70mm is way to much to start out at indoors unless of course you own one of those new McMansion type houses. I like my 28-75 2.8 indoors because it is fairly bright and the range is decent. The 24-85mm is a better range though in tight quarters. Truthfully, the 20-40 Tamron is probably a good alternative since it is wider than both and starts out at 2.7

I haven't had an indoor need as of late, but I will be experimenting with all three at the next opourtunity.

Hope your wife gets better soon! That sounds painful for her and inconvenient for you. I recall when I was laid up for several after my motorcycle accident and surgeries how I had to rely on my wife for almost everything and couldn't go anywhere by myself.

Bummer about missing your fishing trip too, since it seems like you enjoy that a lot. I'm going sea fishing next week and I can't wait to catch some big ones and take some pictures. On a trip like that, I like to take the 28-300 Tamron since it has the range, but Iwill probably take somethinga little higher quality with me so it will probably be a two lens trip.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:03 AM   #22
Administrator

We're getting ready to leave to see her doctor in a few minutes. The surgeon wants her regular doctor to clear her for surgery on it.

She'll probably have to stay off of it for 4-6 weeks after surgery, then wear a boot for another 4-6 weeks from what the surgeon told us.

As long as her regular doctor says it's OK to proceed, the surgery is probably going to be either this Friday or this coming Monday. Fun, Fun, Fun. So, I'm not sure when I'll have time to get out and take some photos.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 10:59 AM   #23

JimC wrote:
Quote:
We're getting ready to leave to see her doctor in a few minutes. The surgeon wants her regular doctor to clear her for surgery on it.

She'll probably have to stay off of it for 4-6 weeks after surgery, then wear a boot for another 4-6 weeks from what the surgeon told us.

As long as her regular doctor says it's OK to proceed, the surgery is probably going to be either this Friday or this coming Monday. Fun, Fun, Fun. So, I'm not sure when I'll have time to get out and take some photos.

Yeah... they call that pre-op testing. They don't do much on the surface, but they do get a piece of the action. Of course it is important to make sure a person is fit for surgery. Good luck.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 2:13 PM   #24
Administrator

Well, my brother-in-law asked if I wanted to tag along with him to see a free concert at Tybee Island last night, and I decided to grab the Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 and use it to take some snapshots of the band (Mother's Finest).

I haven't taken the time to go through all of the images yet. But, I downsized and uploaded 30 or 40 snapshots and posted a handful of them in this thread.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 2:24 PM   #25

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3846325...7634017041293/

OK, I burned a roll of Portra 400 (rated @ 320) with this lens today. I shot mostly on the longer (210mm) end of it at f/5.6. Harsh midday sun with no fill-flash. Some slight cropping on a few but otherwise, no post processing. Shot through a B+W, KR-1.5 filter.

This lens seems to respond to the Nikon F-100 auto-focus quite quickly. No issues with focusing. It's much smaller and more compact than the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8AF APO lens.

Flickr just overhauled their site, and it's kinda funky and different now. It does go full screen and into slide-show mode too.

Russ
Kiron Kid is offline   Reply With Quote