Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

Hi,

I need information and (above all) shots (and crops) at full aperture ([email protected] and [email protected]) to judge the quality of this lens...

Based on what I've read on the web, the lens should have nice colors, good bokeh, not-too-slow-AF...
It isn't too heavy, too...

Can someone help me ?

Cartman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2006, 11:41 AM   #2
Administrator

One of our forum members (rduve) has one, and posted some photos from it in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

For $79 (what one of the popular Ebay vendors sells them for new in the box), it looks like a pretty good value, especially since it's stabilized via Anti-shake.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 3:01 AM   #3

Thanks...

But I found it ad about 200$... Where can I find it at 79$ ?
Thaks....

PS: More samples are good accepted :-)
Cartman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:05 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
But I found it ad about 200$... Where can I find it at 79$ ?
cametaauctions (a reputable ebay vendor) lists them often on EBay for a "buy it now" price of $79.95 plus $12 ground shipping (most days, you'll see one listed, and when it sells, they list another one).

I've been meaning to get around to buying one For that price, what the heck.. I'll give it a try. The MTF charts don't look too bad for center sharpness (most of the drop off in sharpness occurs outside the area used by an APS-C size sensor). So, I went ahead and bought this one this morning:.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160032401058

I don't do much on Ebay. But, I bought a couple of lenses from Cameta last year with no problems (other than you need to call them to pay for your purchases versus using Paypal, etc.). You'll find lots of posts in the forums from members that bought from them, too (cameras, lenses, strobes, etc.). They're a well liked vendor with a good reputation.

That was the only one cameta had listed in Maxxum mount when I checked this morning. But, they'll probably have another one listed by tomorrow. They tend to list them very often.

I see a few more listed, too (from other vendors)..

Make sure you buy one for Maxxum mount (Minolta AF mount), as I see some listed for Minolta Manual Focus instead. Ditto for making sure you're getting the f/2.8-4 version (there are some other versions of it floating around, too).

Just search for Vivitar 70-210mm in the main Ebay search box. Then, make sure the listing you go to is for the 70-210mm f/2.8-4 in Maxxum mount.

Cameta will most likely have another one listed in Maxxum mount by tomorrow, or even later today (they tend to list one or two at a time of the same lens). I see another vendor that has one in Maxxum mount for $99.95 right now with $12 shipping ($20 higher than Cameta sells them for).

Sorry for grabbing it for myself. But, I've been thinking buying one for a while now, and I gave up the listing I found the last time someone asked about this lens here. So, you'll have to wait until they list another one if you want one from cametaauctions. :blah:

I don't have anything over 135mm in Minolta Mount (the longest lens I've got in Maxxum mount is my 135mm f/2.8 ). So, a 70-210mm could come in handy every once in a great while, and the price was "right" (I'm really not much of a long lens shooter).

Old Sep 19, 2006, 4:51 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
cametaauctions (a reputable ebay vendor) lists them often on EBay for a "buy it now" price of $79.95 plus $12 ground shipping (most days, you'll see one listed, and when it sells, they list another one).

I've been meaning to get around to buying one For that price, what the heck.. I'll give it a try. The MTF charts don't look too bad for center sharpness (most of the drop off in sharpness occurs outside the area used by an APS-C size sensor). So, I went ahead and bought this one this morning:.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160032401058

I don't do much on Ebay. But, I bought a couple of lenses from Cameta last year with no problems (other than you need to call them to pay for your purchases versus using Paypal, etc.). You'll find lots of posts in the forums from members that bought from them, too (cameras, lenses, strobes, etc.). They're a well liked vendor with a good reputation.

That was the only one cameta had listed in Maxxum mount when I checked this morning. But, they'll probably have another one listed by tomorrow. They tend to list them very often.

I see a few more listed, too (from other vendors)..

Make sure you buy one for Maxxum mount (Minolta AF mount), as I see some listed for Minolta Manual Focus instead. Ditto for making sure you're getting the f/2.8-4 version (there are some other versions of it floating around, too).

Just search for Vivitar 70-210mm in the main Ebay search box. Then, make sure the listing you go to is for the 70-210mm f/2.8-4 in Maxxum mount.

Cameta will most likely have another one listed in Maxxum mount by tomorrow, or even later today (they tend to list one or two at a time of the same lens). I see another vendor that has one in Maxxum mount for $99.95 right now with $12 shipping ($20 higher than Cameta sells them for).

Sorry for grabbing it for myself. But, I've been thinking buying one for a while now, and I gave up the listing I found the last time someone asked about this lens here. So, you'll have to wait until they list another one if you want one from cametaauctions. :blah:

I don't have anything over 135mm in Minolta Mount (the longest lens I've got in Maxxum mount is my 135mm f/2.8 ). So, a 70-210mm could come in handy every once in a great while, and the price was "right" (I'm really not much of a long lens shooter).

He can call and they will sell him one at the same price w/o eBay. They would prefer to do that and save eBay fees.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:40 PM   #6

I know that there were three generations of Series 1 lenses by vivitar, of which only the manual focus ones were of top quality. Subsequent versions (including autofocus lenses) were below par.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 6:28 AM   #7

Cameta doesn't include this link in their new Ebay winner emails, but you can still pay using their internet checkout at- https://secure.cametaauctions.com/ebay_pay/ . This saves you the sales talk, though in my experience they are quite pleasant and low pressure.

Here's a link to an active auction for this lens. Be very careful that you get the Maxxum (minolta AF lens) as Cameta's auctions don't label the mf lenses well sometimes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160031970537

Moderator Note: I edited this post to include shorter version of the URL above to this listing. If you post a long URL, it makes the entire thread wider (the forums software won't word wrap until it sees a space, and a URL won't have one). So, it's a good idea to post shorter URLs whenever possible (or use code tags around one instead).

For Ebay listings, you can post a shorter URL without even bothering to use code tags (just post it like this one with the correct listing number at the end).

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:46 AM   #8
Administrator

I figured that they'd list another one immediately. That's been the pattern with this lens so far (they've been selling them that way for quite a while, with only one or two listings at a time on Ebay).

cope probably has a better idea (just call them, so it will save them the Ebay listing fees).

They'll run out eventually though.

Of course, if enough people like it, the price could go up, too. We've already seen that on some other lenses recently from Cameta.

For example, the Sigma 24-135mm jumped from $179 to $359 from Cameta after I noticed a lot of posts from users praising how good this lens is on a KM DSLR.

I tried to do my part when calling Cameta to help keep prices down, though.

When the salesperson mentioned "hey, that's a pretty good price for an f/2.8 lens", I said "it's only f/2.8 on the wide end, and I doubt a cheap Vivitar is going to be very sharp wide open". :-)

I forgot to mention that I'd recently noticed some photos taken at wide open apertures from it on another forum that I thought looked pretty sharp, too (these were at around 1/45 second, at f/3.5 at around mid zoom from a KM DSLR owner).

Of course, they'll go by demand. If the demand increases, they'll get smart and raise the price.

I'll test drive it when I get it and let you guys know what I think about it (color, sharpness, contrast, etc.).

Old Sep 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I figured that they'd list another one immediately. That's been the pattern with this lens so far (they've been selling them that way for quite a while, with only one or two listings at a time on Ebay).

cope probably has a better idea (just call them, so it will save them the Ebay listing fees).

They'll run out eventually though.

Of course, if enough people like it, the price could go up, too. We've already seen that on some other lenses recently from Cameta.

For example, the Sigma 24-135mm jumped from $179 to $359 from Cameta after I noticed a lot of posts from users praising how good this lens is on a KM DSLR.

I tried to do my part when calling Cameta to help keep prices down, though.

When the salesperson mentioned "hey, that's a pretty good price for an f/2.8 lens", I said "it's only f/2.8 on the wide end, and I doubt a cheap Vivitar is going to be very sharp wide open". :-)

I forgot to mention that I'd recently noticed some photos taken at wide open apertures from it on another forum that I thought looked pretty sharp, too (these were at around 1/45 second, at f/3.5 at around mid zoom from a KM DSLR owner).

Of course, they'll go by demand. If the demand increases, they'll get smart and raise the price.

I'll test drive it when I get it and let you guys know what I think about it (color, sharpness, contrast, etc.).

My hunt for zooms is over but for 79 dollars I may cave in on this one based on what you report. I have the beercan and the newer 75-300mm KM for this range, but the Vivitar would be a nice lightweight alternative and if itis usable at 2.8 that would certainly by a plus.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 3:36 PM   #10
Administrator

maxxum7d should do a comparison with the Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 for us to see what a lens that usually runs 10+ times the cost of the Vivitar does for you. :-)

I noticed the posts about getting both of them in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=84&page=7

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
So I picked up the 80-200mm APO G lens from adorama on sunday. Its heavy but the colors and sharpness blew me away. I had the beercan for a few days as well but I wasn't happy with the results. Now I can finally wait for a few years before buying the 70-200 SSM!!!!!
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
And today I bagged the Vivitar 70-210 f/2.8-4 lens from Cameta. It should be arriving shortly. Just to find out if the f/2.8 actually lives up to its hype. With tax and shipping it came to 103 bucks. Not bad, huh?