Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 19, 2006, 12:19 PM   #1

I read the recent post that touched on the Tamron 28-300mm and was intrigued by the notion of a lens with such range. So, upon further research I came across the Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG. Adorama has it for $279.

A recent trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom is what prompts my curiosity. Being a zoo-like park I figured I would need my zoom, and I didn't want to carry my whole bag. So I only brought my Sigma 70-300mm. Big mistake! Sure, the telephoto was great, but I couldn't even get a decent photo of my kids at 70mm without backing up 50 yards.

I'll chaulk this up to inexperience. But a 28-300mm would have been perfect for that scenario. And, it's a smaller package to lug around.

Any thoughts, input, experience is greatly appreciated!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2006, 2:47 PM   #2

Not the greatest in my lens collections, but works ok if you have good light. Don't even thinkaboutrusing itindoors.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 6:07 AM   #3

I bought one recently, and whilst not as good as my 28-75 F2.8, it does a pretty good job. In fact I'd say it is easily on a par with my 75-300mm Minolta that I'm about to get shot of as the 28-300mm does what it does and more.

A good walkaround lens and it can be used indoors, though if you have a lower light lens I'd recommend changing to that.
Adambrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 9:03 AM   #4

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
I read the recent post that touched on the Tamron 28-300mm and was intrigued by the notion of a lens with such range. So, upon further research I came across the Sigma 28-300 F3.5-6.3 DG. Adorama has it for $279.

A recent trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom is what prompts my curiosity. Being a zoo-like park I figured I would need my zoom, and I didn't want to carry my whole bag. So I only brought my Sigma 70-300mm. Big mistake! Sure, the telephoto was great, but I couldn't even get a decent photo of my kids at 70mm without backing up 50 yards.

I'll chaulk this up to inexperience. But a 28-300mm would have been perfect for that scenario. And, it's a smaller package to lug around.

Any thoughts, input, experience is greatly appreciated!

Why not go withTamron's 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3.?

Cameta has it on EBay for 169.00 The only reason it is so inexpensive is that it was replaced by a new model that sells for over 300. It was going for less but even at 169 it is still a great bargain. I'm not exactly sure how it compares to the Sigma but a lot of us here own one. I find it is pretty good as long as you don't shoot wide open. I use 4.5 as my minimum aperature and get great results. I don't generally use it indoors without ample lighting or a flash, but that should also apply to the Sigma.

There is also a used one on EBay if you want to try your luck but for 169, I would get new.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote