Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 20, 2006, 4:36 PM   #1

I just purchased a Sony alpha and used it to take pictures at a wedding. It worked well for a month, and then started to give images with unusual color shadings throughout the images, and other images with hoizontal and vertical stripes. I tried upgrading the firmware to 1.02 with no improvement.

I called Sony, and the camera has now been sent to the repair center. Has anyone else had this problem?

Attached Images

kaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:21 AM   #2

kaval wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a Sony alpha and used it to take pictures at a wedding. It worked well for a month, and then started to give images with unusual color shadings throughout the images, and other images with hoizontal and vertical stripes. I tried upgrading the firmware to 1.02 with no improvement.

I called Sony, and the camera has now been sent to the repair center. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't blame you for trying but that looks way past anything a firmware update could resolve.

I have never seen anyone post that problem on a 5D or 7D so it could be unique to the Alpha unless of course someone else has seen it. I'm sure Sony will fix it and I hope this is not the start of a new batch of problems for Sony since it is in all of best interests for us KM/Sony owners that Sony does well.

Keep us posted!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:10 PM   #3

Sony received the camera several days ago. They need to replace the focus plate and something called an SI screen; and decline sending out a new replacement camera despite the camera being slightly over a month old. Apparently the parts have to come from Japan to their repair center in Loredo, Texas. Who knows how long it will really take them to repair although they claim about 2-3 weeks. This is the first new camera I have bought that has had major problems--almost makes me wish I had gone Rebel.
kaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2006, 1:52 PM   #4

kaval wrote:
Quote:
Sony received the camera several days ago. They need to replace the focus plate and something called an SI screen; and decline sending out a new replacement camera despite the camera being slightly over a month old. Apparently the parts have to come from Japan to their repair center in Loredo, Texas. Who knows how long it will really take them to repair although they claim about 2-3 weeks. This is the first new camera I have bought that has had major problems--almost makes me wish I had gone Rebel.
Sorry you are experiencing problems with your new camera, but I'm sure they will fix it. I know your instincts tell you you should have gone with something else, but if look in the Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and other manufacturer threads here and elsewhere,you will find plenty of people experiencing problems with cameras.At least you have some comfort knowing there will be some parts available to fix your camera. The KM owners here are in limbo since we never know if Sony will be able to get parts for our cameras though it seems to have gotten better.It is rather disappointing when you buy something new and you have to get it fixed, Hopefully it will work out for you and I'm quite sure it will.

As a final thought,if you paid by credit card you might want to check to see if your credit card company has some kind of buyer's assurance program. Some credit card companies offer an out if you are not happy with a product. I know American Express does, but I'm not sure about the others. American Express hasa 90 day buyer's remorse program. They will take it back if you are unhappy with it. I know this is is of little help to you if you didn't pay with Amex, but you might want to check out what your card policy is if you paid by credit card. Some other Visa and Master Card Gold or Platinum cards might offer something similar but it varies by bank. I specifically buy everything I can with Amex so that I am protected in that event I'm not happy with a product.They also double the warranty on anything you buy and I believe some kind of theft protection is included. I've never had to use any of these features so I don't know how easy or hard it is to get them to make good on their promises, or what is excluded,but it is good to know the protection is there if needed.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote