Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:14 AM   #11

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Dear Alan,

I try to set the "Memory Set" #:1 to go as you set up...& I really can't or more specific...don't recall how to do it that ONLY the "Zone Matching"...will be ready...instead the ISO also...enter also Exposure/Aperture/ File size; etc... when I ONLY want the "Zone Matching"...to be usefully when I move the knob to Memory #: 1. Sorry Alan...maybe you can explain me better?.

Thank you so much,

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex, you don't need to use one of the three Memory settings. Go to the Menu/Purple* page 4. Scoll down to M set button (it defaults to memory) and scroll right and then scroll up to highlight Menu shortcut. Hit enter and you are set. Whne you next hit MSet, it will take you to the 4th page of the Purple* menu. ISO button set is at the top. Scroll down to it and then scroll right to highlight ISO and then scroll down to highlight Zone MAtching and hit Enter. Now when you push ISO, you get zone matching and can toggle between high and Low. The whole prrocess takes much less time than it took to write this,
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 8:12 AM   #12
Administrator

I use the Hi Key Zone Matching sometimes when I'm in harsher lighting. It helps to prevent blown highlights (at the expense of some shadow detail).

It's basically using a different curve from what I understand. I wish that they would have separated the feature from ISO speed, though. But, they put in a DR Enhancement feature into the Sony DSLR-A100 that probably works better (with more flexibilty).

The fishing photos I took in this thread are straight from the camera JPEGs using Hi Key Zone Matching with my 5D:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=84

The photos from the party in the same thread were not using Zone matching..

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 9:51 AM   #13

Hello Jim,

BTW...this week the newer Sony Alpha, can be acquired here in Israel for exactly $:1,000.00 body only. But for me the KM Dynax 7D is better camera.

I saw your posted fishing & kids photos, like them very much, today I'm using the same originally Minolta zoom 24-85...which I acquired a decade ago. really a lovely one & very sharp also...better build that the kit that I obtain with my earlier Dynax 5D body.:P

I decided to add myself with my "Way" to improve to "Stabilizer" my photos mainly at low light shoots.

Peace,

Akex 007:|
Attached Images

Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:28 PM   #14

Alex 007 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Jim,

BTW...this week the newer Sony Alpha, can be acquired here in Israel for exactly $:1,000.00 body only. But for me the KM Dynax 7D is better camera.

I saw your posted fishing & kids photos, like them very much, today I'm using the same originally Minolta zoom 24-85...which I acquired a decade ago. really a lovely one & very sharp also...better build that the kit that I obtain with my earlier Dynax 5D body.:P

I decided to add myself with my "Way" to improve to "Stabilizer" my photos mainly at low light shoots.

Peace,

Akex 007:|
Onecall has a body only Alpha for about 799 dollars. Not a bad price, but I'm sure it will drop some in a couple of months, especially as the competition heats up. I also like the 7D better and would not trade it for an Alpha 100. I love the extra buttons on the 7D, but for me, the most single most important feature on7D is the larger buffer. I also like the high resolution LCD of the 7D compared to the 5D, but in the Alpha, Sony they addressed that, in fact the Alpha LCD is a little higher resolution. I'm not sure if they improved the viewfinder on the Alpha.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:15 PM   #15

The only problem I've had with my 7D occured using the Hi key setting this past weekend. All the images I shot in this mode will not open in Dimage Viewer. The jpgs are fine and the thumbnails for the MRW show up but I get an error trying to open the acutal MRW file.
jamesdak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 5:40 PM   #16
Administrator

jamesdak

Welcome to the forums. I see that this is your first post here.

I've never bothered to install KM's software. One of these days I may get around to trying it. :-)

But, I think I found the solution. Apparently, there is a "quirk" with opening .mrw files when using zone matching.

Go to File->Color Preference and change the color space from original to one of the presets like sRGB.

You should then be able to open the .mrw files.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:09 AM   #17

Hi Jamesdak,

I saw that you are a new member; welcome!

I use Picasa 2.2 from Goggle, a FREE photo organizer, if you want to try & use maybe a better or more complete one try this also 100% free one http://www.irfanview.com/:idea:

Both opens all the Maxxum/Dynax 7D and other cameras brand files:roll:

Try and inform us your results, please!:!:

Peace,

Old Sep 29, 2006, 12:01 PM   #18

Hi Jim,

Here my today shoot...?:!:

Peace,

Attached Images