Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Maybe this is a byproduct of not needed any more lenses but I am getting this weird craving to buy an Alpha. I don't want to spend any money but since I have 4 cameras I may not have to. I figure I can keep my 7Ds and just sell my 2 5Ds.

One is brand new except for a few test photos and the other has a few hundred shots. The brand new one is a couple months old and I have a transferable Mack warranty, the other was has no accessories but has an addtional 1 year warrnty at Circuit City. I'm not sure it is transferable butI was smart enough to get a gift receipt so who ever buys it should be able to retain the warranty. I figure I can probably get enough for both of them on EBay to buy an Alpha. Question is, do I bother?

It would be nice to have the 10 MP and I think I can live with the extra noise. What I'm not sure of is did Sony fix the problems that were inherent in the 5D. If I knew that there is a good chance that it might end up with the first shot black issues or the AS issue, I don't think it is a smart move except the service/supportmight be a bit better.

Of course I would be giving up an extra camera, but I don't need 4. I like having two2 7Ds, one for backup in case I have a problem andsince a Sony version is still questionable.I figure anAlpha for when I want to travel light like I do now with the 5D would be adequate.

So, if you were me, would you keep the 5Ds or would you take the plunge? Of course I could wait a bit to see if the Sony comes down, if the reliability is better or wait for a 7D replacement, but I don't want the 5Ds to lose value.




meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Note: This is not a serious thought but it does cross my mind. Someone save me from this madness!
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Hawaii Built's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 171
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Note: This is not a serious thought but it does cross my mind. Someone save me from this madness!
yo meanstreak-

not sure if you can be saved :evil:. perhaps all those lenses are driving you bonkers. i can see the only real intervention is for me to e-mail you my mailing address so you can pack all that cursed glass in a box and fed-ex it to me. i'll throw it in the volcano for you.

about your hankering for an alpha. it got me scratching my head... 2 5D's vs. 1 alpha... oh boy, i wish i had that kind of problems...

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Note: This is not a serious thought but it does cross my mind. Someone save me from this madness!
yo meanstreak-

not sure if you can be saved :evil:. perhaps all those lenses are driving you bonkers. i can see the only real intervention is for me to e-mail you my mailing address so you can pack all that cursed glass in a box and fed-ex it to me. i'll throw it in the volcano for you.

about your hankering for an alpha. it got me scratching my head... 2 5D's vs. 1 alpha... oh boy, i wish i had that kind of problems...

~aloha~
Actually, I might be able to sell one 5D and some junk lenses to get 1 Alpha. Then again.... I could just keep the cash or buy 1"G" lens. I just don't think I need 4 cameras. I favour my 7D and Ilike the fact that I have one as backup. Having a 5D is nice too but I don't really need a backup one of those. The reason I have two 5Ds is that I got them dirt cheap after my first 7D. Had the Walmart 7D deal for 599 come out earlier, I would probabaly only own 1 5D.


meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 7:22 AM   #5
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Go for it.

Then, show us lots of photos. ;-)


JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:36 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Go for it.

Then, show us lots of photos. ;-)


I think my best bet might be to try and sell them now and see if a 7D replacement is coming out at Photokina. I would hate to buy a 100 now and then want to upgrade to something higher. Of course, I'll bet that will run almost double. BTW...When is Photokina way?


meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
Go for it.

Then, show us lots of photos. ;-)


I think my best bet might be to try and sell them now and see if a 7D replacement is coming out at Photokina. I would hate to buy a 100 now and then want to upgrade to something higher. Of course, I'll bet that will run almost double. BTW...When is Photokina way?

Photokina is going on as we speak.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

Photokina is underway right now in Cologne, Germany . ;-)

It's running from September 26 through October 1 this year (it's only held every other year).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/photokina2006_index.html

The next major venue where new camera models are often launched is PMA. Of course, manufacturers often announce new models at dates other than when these shows are held, too.

http://www.pmai.org/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 11:57 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Photokina is underway right now in Cologne, Germany . ;-)

It's running from September 26 through October 1 this year (it's only held every other year).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/photokina2006_index.html

The next major venue where new camera models are often launched is PMA. Of course, manufacturers often announce new models at dates other than when these shows are held, too.

http://www.pmai.org/

I'm amazing how well these manufacturers are keeping what's next under wraps until they are ready to release info. I guess if part of theirsurvival tactics.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 12:35 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
tmoreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 477
Default

You definatly have too many cameras, but I do see how you ended up that way. Two 7D's is a good idea, and a 5d/a100 for lightweight sounds reasonable. I think you should sell the 5D's, I doubt thier value is going to increase! Then wait 1-2 months until the christmas discounts start on the A100, price will drop at least $100 I bet.

Certainly Sony will produce another body, they could try to go real cheap (d50/*ist) but I suspect they will target mid-level instead (7D/30D). Too soon to go for full-blown professional, especially with no lenses. I'm thinking if they didnt anounce it at photokina its not coming before christmas. They cant wait too long though, if they still only have the a100 next summer thier sunk.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:29 AM.