Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:26 PM   #1

After going through a 7D return fiasco, I find myself with a sony a100. The problem I have is that I do mostly indoor, lowlight shooting, but Minolta/Sony does not seem to have a standard bright wide angle lens. All my nikon and canon friends have super sharp 17-35(or 50) f2.8 lenses that are remarkable and exactly what I need, however I am having a hard time finding an eqivalent lens in the alpha mount. I would just go for the new zeiss 16-80 but its just too dim of a lens for my needs. Any suggestions?

I had a minolta 28-75 f2.8 but it just wasn't wide enough for me. PLEASE HELP!
NeoHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:11 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd keep an eye out for the new Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and see what users think of it. AFAIK, nobody actually has them on the shelves yet, though.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/1750_diII_a016.asp

It looks like B&H is going to sell it for $449, and you can request E-mail notification when they get them in:

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II Lens at B&H

Reports on the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC AF lens have been a bit mixed on AF accuracy with KM DSLRs (I've seen some reports of backfocus on it's wide end). So, I'd personally be inclined to avoid that one.

You can see some user reviews of popular lenses from KM DSLR owners here (you'll see a link to reviews if anyone has reviewed a lens in the lists there).

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3

Other than the kit lens, the widest zoom I've got is a Tamron SP 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 (only losing a half stop to an f/2.8 zoom on it's longer end). This is an older discontinued model. An Ebay vendor was selling them for only $164.95 a while back (new in the box). But, they tend to run more than that used.

For indoor low light shooting without a flash, more often than not, I'll go to a brighter prime (with my Minolta 28mm f/2 being used the most for that purpose, although at times, f/2 isn't really bright enough).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 3:26 PM   #3

NeoHC wrote:
Quote:
After going through a 7D return fiasco, I find myself with a sony a100. The problem I have is that I do mostly indoor, lowlight shooting, but Minolta/Sony does not seem to have a standard bright wide angle lens. All my nikon and canon friends have super sharp 17-35(or 50) f2.8 lenses that are remarkable and exactly what I need, however I am having a hard time finding an eqivalent lens in the alpha mount. I would just go for the new zeiss 16-80 but its just too dim of a lens for my needs. Any suggestions?

I had a minolta 28-75 f2.8 but it just wasn't wide enough for me. PLEASE HELP!
I also have the 20-40mm Tamron Jim mentioned. It works well, but is a rather limited range. I have the KM 11-18mm, but as you know, like most ultra wides it isn't the brightest. It is a great lens though and it serves my needs. I believe there are some decent bright primes out there if you can live with a few stepsforward or back.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:22 PM   #4

The frustrating thing is that there seems to be a shortage of good lenses. There have been a few lenses that I've been interested in, but I have not been able to find them. Ebay auctions have been more scarce as of late, KEH seems to only have that dumb kit lens for sale whenever I visit the site, and the good lenses on adorama and b&H are either out of stock or not what I'm looking for... meanwhile nikon and canon don't seem to suffer from the same problem

I went the Minolta/Sony route because i was convinced that I could get great lenses for a good price that would bring my overall cost of owning a dSLR down, but now I'm having trouble finding these great lenses...

*siGh*

to date, my only victories are my beercan and the 50mm f1.7

but its hard not to drool over my friends' stuff like 17-50 2.8 TACK sharp, or 85 f1.2 L glass or 135 f1.8 L (my friend says it's "only" 1.8) (yes, i know the new zeiss lenses fill these two gaps, but who knows when they will finally be available to the market, or even if they will have enough to satisfy demand)

Hopefully this zeiss-sony synergy will bring more sexy glass to the table... and hopefully sooner than later...
NeoHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5

NeoHC wrote:
Quote:
The frustrating thing is that there seems to be a shortage of good lenses. There have been a few lenses that I've been interested in, but I have not been able to find them. Ebay auctions have been more scarce as of late, KEH seems to only have that dumb kit lens for sale whenever I visit the site, and the good lenses on adorama and b&H are either out of stock or not what I'm looking for... meanwhile nikon and canon don't seem to suffer from the same problem

I went the Minolta/Sony route because i was convinced that I could get great lenses for a good price that would bring my overall cost of owning a dSLR down, but now I'm having trouble finding these great lenses...

*siGh*

to date, my only victories are my beercan and the 50mm f1.7

but its hard not to drool over my friends' stuff like 17-50 2.8 TACK sharp, or 85 f1.2 L glass or 135 f1.8 L (my friend says it's "only" 1.8) (yes, i know the new zeiss lenses fill these two gaps, but who knows when they will finally be available to the market, or even if they will have enough to satisfy demand)

Hopefully this zeiss-sony synergy will bring more sexy glass to the table... and hopefully sooner than later...
It can only get better... I predict good things from the Sony camp. Patience, which most of us don't have is the key. Right now KM/Sony stuff is in demand because of the transition from KM to Sony, but also because of a self induced shortage. Between theexisting KM owners buying every lens in sight, the new consumers cashing in on the remaing 5D and 7D deals needed glassand the influx of new Sony customers, the KM lenses are at a premium. Many thought once the Alpha was introduced that it would cause a crash in the market, but that could only happen if Sony flooded the market with lenses. That is not going to happen any time soon. I am surprised that companies like Tamron, Sigma and Tokinaare not pumping out lenses like crazy to take advantage of all this new business.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:16 AM   #6

Try the sigma lens, they have wide selction of lens for the minolta/sony mount. just make sure you have a good copy. I currently own 4 Sigma lens and i'm very satisfied with it...

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote