Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 8, 2006, 3:26 PM   #11

Thanks guys, I did the original post. My flash was only 2 or 3 months old since I bought it new, so I will advise the group when I get my pro-rated refund, and we'll see how much they send me. It will be interesting.

I don't understand myself why they could not get parts or fix my flash. If they can be selling flashes with SONY on them, and they're the identical flash units, then what could be the problem?

I just want to be "whole" again, as they say in the insurance business. It was bad enough for it to go bad so soon after purchase, but being a working photographer, it really put me in a bind being without it.

I do feel fortunate that I was able to get it for $300 when I bought it, because it was hard enough to find anyone who even stocked them. It was purely by accident and diligent internet searching that I even found a supplier.

My main concern is that both KM and Sony have done a lousy job of informing everyone of just what Sony was signing on for in this whole deal, and what we as KM customers should expect in situations like this. It'sa real PR problem and Sony needs to address it. Sony's real payoff will be in the Alpha, which is the hottest DSLR out now. And, it's my natural upgrade path, with all the lenses I've spent big bucks on.
orbitcorbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:32 PM   #12

orbitcorbett wrote:
Quote:
I do feel fortunate that I was able to get it for $300 when I bought it, because it was hard enough to find anyone who even stocked them. It was purely by accident and diligent internet searching that I even found a supplier.
I must have gotten mine a week or so before you did. Mine came from digital photo for around $285. I paid the same for one in EX* at KEH the other week. Good luck on the refund.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:57 PM   #13

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I kind of agree, but only on conditions. If the pro-rate is 100% for the first year, then I'd call customer service 'acceptable', since the warranty should be in full effect. Anything less is not acceptable. Ideal would be either fixing and returning his flash, or replacing it with a sony rebadged one.

Personally I wouldn't expect any free service after one year, so I wouldn't expect the pro-rate to period to extend past that. If the warranty is one year, to me that says a failed unit will be fixed or replaced free for the first year of ownership. After that, it's my responsibility to pay for anything I need. I'm cool with that, just don't offer a warranty that isn't a warranty.

I have no idea why Sony would pro-rate out to 7 years.My warranty doesn't even imply anything after 1 year. But in that first year, I do expect stellar service for items which cost what these do. To say 'that's how [company x] does it' is not relevant to how Sony does it, or then we all accept the lowest form of customer service that there's a [company x] for. I don't care if Canon doesn't fix their warranted products, because I bought a KM (which is now Sony's responsibility).

I still do not understand the term 'not fixable'. The flash was manufactured, so it is fixable. Did electronics manufacturing cease, or did the only person in the world who understands the intricate circuitry inside have a closed head injury? What is not fixable about a product that was in manufacture last year? (and actually still in manufacture today) Call down to the plant and order a resistor?Impossible. It's perhaps more cost efficient to not fix them when you can implement a pro rated warranty policy.

It's simply cheaper to send him part of his money back and Sony is betting on the idea that poor customer service is not going to impact sales. It's too bad that they're likely right.
I believe the reason they prorate out to seven years is because parts for a discontinued product must be available for a certain amount of time depending on the type of part. For examplefunctional parts must be available for a longer period thanappearance parts. I don'tremember the exact amount of years for each. If amanfacturergoes completely out of business and no one takes over, you are completely out of luck since no one is around to continue the service. When someone buys or takes over acompanythey assumethe same liablities as the previous comapny. Sony assumed responsibility for KMs liability and when they tell people parts are not available they covering themselves against legal action for not making or having the parts to cover the legal timeframe. I'm not sure this applied to all theaccessories for the KM cameras, but it appears they are picking up responsibilty for the flash.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:07 PM   #14

Well, folks, as an end to this saga, I just got a check from Sony for $328 and change, which was exactly what I paid including tax for my Minolta 5600 d flash. It arrived within 2 weeks of making the request by phone (apparently, the time of month when they cut checks makes a difference). I guess I'm happy with that. Now I have a used 3600hs flash to use instead from Ebay, and I can take the money and figure out what to do next.

I don't like not having a flash backup unit; if one goes out during a wedding that I'm getting paid $2K for, it would be a real pain to have to use the pop-up flash instead. I'll comb Ebay and see what I can find out there.

Thanks to all who responded to my posts!
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:56 PM   #15

orbitcorbett wrote:
Quote:
Well, folks, as an end to this saga, I just got a check from Sony for $328 and change, which was exactly what I paid including tax for my Minolta 5600 d flash. It arrived within 2 weeks of making the request by phone (apparently, the time of month when they cut checks makes a difference). I guess I'm happy with that. Now I have a used 3600hs flash to use instead from Ebay, and I can take the money and figure out what to do next.

I don't like not having a flash backup unit; if one goes out during a wedding that I'm getting paid $2K for, it would be a real pain to have to use the pop-up flash instead. I'll comb Ebay and see what I can find out there.

http://www.stevecorbett.com
I'm happy for you; it probably would have been easier for you if they had given you the Sony flash, but if you wait a bit, I suspect the price will drop to the point where you can buy it, or catch a deal on a Metz.I just hope my two continue to work OK.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 7:39 AM   #16

orbitcorbett wrote:
Quote:

http://www.stevecorbett.com
So it was as I suspected...since you were under warranty they gave you full price.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:04 PM   #17

This makes me a bit nervous, as my KM 3600HSD flash recently developed a slight crack at the hot shoe on the rail. The flash still attaches correctly and works fine, but the crack makes me weary and I am very, very carefull when it's on the camera. It's less than a year old and am considering sending it to Sony for repair. I would think this is an easy fix for them as the whole base is a solid piece of plastic with four screws holding it on. However, posts like this and the thought of waiting possibly months to get it back are keeping me from doing so, at least until after the holiday picture taking season is over. I can't afford to go buy another one as a temp while it's away at Sony. What would really suck is if they can't fix it and offer me a refund, since I only paid $159 new at B&H and the Sony version is now $100 more. I'll keep using it as is until it breaks (which it may never do) if that's what Sony offers. And knowing Sony's pricing scheme just to buy the part outright from them (if they even do that) would probably half the price of a new flash.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 11:45 PM   #18

I'm the original poster, so I understand your trepidation about sending your flash off. Depending on where the crack is, you might try gluing it with a good 2-part epoxy (the syringe type that sets in 5 min.) Once it's good and hardened, you can carve away any excess with an exacto knife and shape it so that everything fits right. This might buy you some more time.

Another suggestion: Only use the flash on the camera's hotshoe when absolutely necessary. Instead, get the KM sync cord and the KM off-camera shoe (you need both). This will set you back about $70, but allows much more freedom of where you point the flash. I use mine this way and bounce the flash off the ceilingor even off the wall behind me by handholding it. This will put less stress on the flash shoe itself, and is much better for indoor work, weddings, receptions, etc.

B&H and many others can supply these items. Try Ebay first.

Good luck!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:12 AM   #19

gipper51 wrote:
Quote:
This makes me a bit nervous, as my KM 3600HSD flash recently developed a slight crack at the hot shoe on the rail. The flash still attaches correctly and works fine, but the crack makes me weary and I am very, very carefull when it's on the camera. It's less than a year old and am considering sending it to Sony for repair. I would think this is an easy fix for them as the whole base is a solid piece of plastic with four screws holding it on. However, posts like this and the thought of waiting possibly months to get it back are keeping me from doing so, at least until after the holiday picture taking season is over. I can't afford to go buy another one as a temp while it's away at Sony. What would really oops is if they can't fix it and offer me a refund, since I only paid $159 new at B&H and the Sony version is now $100 more. I'll keep using it as is until it breaks (which it may never do) if that's what Sony offers. And knowing Sony's pricing scheme just to buy the part outright from them (if they even do that) would probably half the price of a new flash.
Contact KEH and see if they can repair the flash.

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx