Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:19 PM   #11

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Lots of 7D owners have a 50mm lens. It's a popular lens for low light use, portraits, or anytime you need a bright and sharp lens in it's focal length.

Whether or not it will be very useful to you depends on the conditions you'll want to shoot in more often. A 50mm lens is pretty much a "standard" prime on a 35mm camera.

With a Digital SLR, you have a narrower angle of view for any given focal length compared to a 35mm camera. So, a 50mm lens on your 7D will give you the same angle of view you'd have with a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera. That can limit it's usefulness a bit for close quarters indoors.

But, if you have space to use it, a bright (f/1.4 or f/1.7) 50mm is a good lens to have in your bag, and can let you take photos in conditions where you may need a flash with most zoom lenses.

I tend to use my 28mm f/2 more than my other primes. But, someone else may use a longer lens more often instead.

No one lens is going to be perfect for all conditions. ;-)
Following Jims advice, I found an older Minolta 3000i on Ebay with a Tamron 38-105mm/f2.8 lens attached. It cost WAY less than the lens alone (about $150.00-US) & this is my main lens now...........Sharp, Fast & Great colors!!! You can also use it as a club, but the performance-per-buck can't be beat!
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:01 AM   #12

Well i've got a 50mm/1.7, that will get me up & running, kicking the idea around of going with the old beercan 70-210.

just curious if there's anything else that would hold a close second to the 70-210, 100mm mayby.

joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 7:12 AM   #13

joee wrote:
Quote:
Well i've got a 50mm/1.7, that will get me up & running, kicking the idea around of going with the old beercan 70-210.

just curious if there's anything else that would hold a close second to the 70-210, 100mm mayby.

The 70-210 f3.5-4.5 is 1/2 the size and nearly 1/2 the cost of the beercan, and is a great lens. I have read quotes from several who own both lenses who state that they love the beercan, but carry the 3.5-4.5 on longer walks. Stay away from the 4.5-5.6, it isn't nearly the lens.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 9:36 AM   #14

28mm f2.8
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:37 PM   #15

Is there a lens under $100 that will give me sharpness similar to the Beercan? I have it, but need a wide-angle lens that will compare to it.

The 18-70 kit lens produces pics worse than my Canon point-and-shoot.

I've heard good stuff about the 50mm/1.7, but it's not wide enough.

Vince5D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:13 PM   #16

Vince5D wrote:
Quote:
Is there a lens under $100 that will give me sharpness similar to the Beercan? I have it, but need a wide-angle lens that will compare to it.

The 18-70 kit lens produces pics worse than my Canon point-and-shoot.

I've heard good stuff about the 50mm/1.7, but it's not wide enough.

For under a hundred and sharp about the widest out there is28 F2.8, but that is usually not wide enough on aDSLR. Wide and sharp is possible, but not for less than a 100 is impossible unless someone gives something away.

The closest I haveto that category is a 20-40 F2.7-3.5 Tamron You can get one for 149 at KEH in EX condition, 165 in EX+ or 189 in "like new". Truthfully their EX condition stuff is pretty good. "Like New" means it is in perfect and includes original box and instructions and any manufacturer provided accessories.They were getting abiut 170 for EX used but seemed to have dropped the price.

I paid 160 dollars for a new one on Ebay from a retail store, but they don't have any more and other retailers get closer to 300 for the lens.

I think it is a great lens, but many shy away from it because it doesn't zoom veryfar. It's a question of what is more to you. Ihave no problem giving up focal length but I have a lot of lenses I can switch to.

If you want more focal range, you might consider the Minolta 24-85mm F3.5-4.5. Not quite as bright as the Tamron, but it is reasonably sharp. I don't know that I would say it is as sharp as the beercan, but I haven't used it that much yet since I only picked that up recently. You can get on of those in decent shape for a little over 100. I got one in EX+ condition from KEH for about 140. They don't have any right now but I see a 24-50mm F4 for a little over a 100 dollars. I don't know much about it, but I see mixed reviews on it at Dyxum.com and truthfully since it only goes to 50mm, I feel you are better off with the 20-40mm Tamron or the 24-85mmMinolta.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:10 PM   #17

finally got a few pair of glasses for the 7D, so far i've got

minolta prime 50mm

minolta 35-105 f 3.5-4.5 haven't got a chance to use it yet

minolta 35-70 f 3.5-4.5 no chance to use it yet

minolta 100-200 f 4.5

even gotta few pics to show

joee is offline   Reply With Quote