Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 8, 2006, 5:14 PM   #1

well i finally landed on a minolta 7D, so now comes the question of that first lens.

mostly landscape probably for now so i'm thinking what i need is wide angle, am i right on that part.

i could get a zoom or could just go primes, going zoom which 1.

going prime a good starter.

saw on here someone had tamron sp 20-40 & 35-105, pics looked really good but those will probably have to wait.

i know the list o lenses could go on and on but i gotta pick something.
joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:00 PM   #2
Administrator

Congratulations! That's a very nice camera.

From your previous "What Camera Should I Buy" threads, I thought you were leaning towards a Nikon.

It's good to have another KM shooter here.

Quote:
saw on here someone had tamron sp 20-40 & 35-105, pics looked really good but those will probably have to wait.
I've got both of those lenses. The 20-40mm isn' t used very much though. My usual "Walk Around" lens lately is the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, since I prefer the range it gives me and I don't need anything wider very often. You can probably find a one like it for a bit over $100 on the used market. It wouldn't start out that wide though (it's 24mm wide end would have the same angle of view as a 36mm lens on a 35mm camera)

In a budget lens, the Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (KM 5D and Sony DSLR-A100) kit lens) could probably get you by for landscapes, as it starts out a bit wider than most if you need it.

In a higher end lens, the new Carl Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 is likely to be very nice. I don't know when it will ship, but SonyStyle.com is taking pre-orders for it now (at $699).

What kind of budget do you have? There are many lenses available, and no one choice is going to be just right for everyone in all conditions.

If you don't have a "feel" for what you need yet, you may want to start out with something with a bit more focal range instead of a single prime or a wide zoom with a limited range like my Tamron 20-40mm. I personally find it's zoom range to be a bit limiting for the types of photos I usually take.

There are pros and cons to any of them (focal range, size, weight, optical quality, brightness, flare resistance, cost, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:29 PM   #3

A lot of people here are also liking the KM 28-75 f2.8, which can be had for about $300. It could be a bit long for landscapes, depending on your style. I've really taken a liking to my 35-70 f4 lens for landscapes, it's great optically and relatively bright for a zoom. (plus it can be had for about $40 used if your on a budget) There are a lot of bright primes, Sigma has a couple of them around 30mm and f1.8, they're just over $400 if memory serves me correctly.

I do think the KM 18-70 wouldn't be a bad place to start, but it's not a bright lens and it gets some bad reviews. If you know how much you want to spend and have an idea of how wide you need to go (remember to add the 1.5x multiplier to any lens) we could be more helpful.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 7:39 PM   #4

Hi,

Great choice for a camera, I love my 7D. I find that almost all my pics come from my digital lens, my 18-70 and my 55-200 (Sigma). They are both small and easy to carry.

My 35mm lenses sit around and collect dust. They seem to big and too heavy.

I thoughtif I hadone more digital lens, the Tamron 11-18, itwould be a perfect addition.

Bob
bsteaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5

I would recomend Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5...very nice lens for landscape and as general walkaround lens....very sharp too....since I bought it for my KM5D I never used KM 18-70 again...there is no comparison....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Read reviews here: http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=241
Steve101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6

There are three good general purpose zooms that come to mind, two arent availible quite yet. Both the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and Sony 16-80 would serve many roles well, good for 'general purpose' like the kit lens but with better quality and more speed. The sigma 17-70 is availible now, and seems to get good reviews.

As to primes, I'm working with a three lens kit right now. Tokina 17mm, Minolta 28mm f/2, and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. This is a pretty diverse range not only covering various focal lengths, but also low light and macro ranges. My 24mm and 50mm are sitting out for now while I get familiar with this three lens setup, so far I dont miss them much. If I were to get one prime to start with it would be the 28/2, this thing is amazing wide open (better than many lenses are at the optimal f/8) and the focal length is vary useful. I also like the 24mm, but its just a touch too wide for everyday use (according to my style) and not as bright or sharp.

I dont like zooms that start at 28mm, though I could perhaps live with one that went to 24mm. If you dont have any preferences yet, you would probably do well to start with the kit lens and replace it once you have an idea what you want. The minolta 24-50 f/4 sounds interesting and is pretty cheap, very light and compact too. It might be a decent start since it will be able to serve other purposes if you replace it later (ie, as a light travel lens). I'd be more inclined though to get something good and stick with it, rather than go cheap and have to replace it later.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:37 PM   #7

well so far here's my lens search results.

LENS ON A BUDGET

With all the lens on the market were better to look than ebay, it should be simple, they tell us any lens with the "AF" will work with your minolta.

I'll use the minolta maxxum 7D as an example, I may be putting more into this than need be & turning it into the needless lens nightmare it need not be.

I start my search for that first lens, wanting versatility in my lens I chose the zoom lens.

In my quest for these lenses trying to understand how these creatures work I came upon this circle of confusion, well they hit the nail on the head with this, I'm so confused I'm going in circles.

Now back to the AF mount, I figure ok should be simple enough all I need to do is find those lenses with AF, all others being of no use to me.

Well much to my surprise the biggest majority of them say AF so I'm thinking oh boy I'm having field day with all these to pick from.

With being the cheapskate(budget minded)person I am, I go for those cheap priced, "I'm going to get a heck of a deal lenses".

First thought, I'll buy an old film camera cheap & use the lens off of it if it's an AF mount, well not that many out there & not saving anything either, so scrap that brainstorm.

So I come across one (20-80 AF) great price, states brand new, then I notice it also says xi on it, come to find out the xi are old outdated lenses that didn't work very well so no bargain.

During this search I also notice some pics of these lenses aren't even in focus, but yet it states lens is excellent shape, no scratches, no fungus, etc, then I get to thinking, if they can't get the pic in focus how the heck do they know no scratches, dust or fungus.

On to my next lens I come across a different twist, this time AF-MD,hmmmm what's this, so now is it worth the expense to get the adapter for it and use MD/MC lenses & just do all manually, nope that won't work.

Keep in mind also this whole time with each mouse click brings yet another lens up, the mighty 7D tightening it's grip on the lens cap. :shock:

Then that brings me to the zooms that state macro, are these the lenses they use to shoot bugs & close up flowers, well got that 1 figured out macro & macro capable.

Well by now choosing a lens ranks right up there with how to become a space shuttle pilot(9.95 ebay)

Now granted it would be simpler to just pay the big bucks & get the correct lens no problems, but with being the budget minded person there's no challenge to that.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:06 PM   #8
Administrator

joee wrote:
Quote:
First thought, I'll buy an old film camera cheap & use the lens off of it if it's an AF mount, well not that many out there & not saving anything either, so scrap that brainstorm.
Don't scrap that idea.

I got two of my lenses that way.

I bought a Maxxum 7000 with a 50mm f/1.7 AF Lens and a Minolta 1800AF Flash (works with the film body but not a KM DSLR) for a "Buy it Now" price of $49 on Ebay. The lens alone is worth that much or more.

These types of listings come up very often. Just search for a camera model (for example, Maxxum 7000) and then look at what's included (sometimes they forget good descriptions of the lenses and so others miss these listings). They come up a lot. They just don't stick around for very long (someone will notice the listing and buy them). So, check the listings often. ;-)

I bought yet another Maxxum 7000 with a Minolta 35-70mm f/4 Macro lens on it for $52 from http://www.keh.com . It was under the Camera Outfits choice (35mm Cameras, Minolta Autofocus, Camera Outfits).

Don't over analyze. There is no one right choice. Almost any lens can take good photos in the right conditions, and there are pros and cons to all of them.

I'd get yourself a relatively inexpensive lens to get started with and get out and start using your new camera.

For example, I see a Minolta 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 in bargain condition for only $49 at http://www.keh.com right now. That would make a decent lens to start out with (and I'd trust a bargain condition lens from keh, as they have very conservative ratings).

Then, shoot for a while so that you get a better understanding of what you really need in lenses. Consider the $49 a tuition fee (and you could always sell it later if you don't like it). You may even decide that it's perfect for what you like to shoot.

My favorite walk around right this minute is the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. But, it's going to set you back a little more to get the extra 4mm on the wide end. But, I'd probably be OK with a 28-85mm in most conditions, too.

Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:28 PM   #9

I maytry a 50mm prime then just use a zoom from there, i've heard others really like the 50s, just wondering if anyone has tried them with there 7Ds & how they like them.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:24 PM   #10
Administrator

Lots of 7D owners have a 50mm lens. It's a popular lens for low light use, portraits, or anytime you need a bright and sharp lens in it's focal length.

Whether or not it will be very useful to you depends on the conditions you'll want to shoot in more often. A 50mm lens is pretty much a "standard" prime on a 35mm camera.

With a Digital SLR, you have a narrower angle of view for any given focal length compared to a 35mm camera. So, a 50mm lens on your 7D will give you the same angle of view you'd have with a 75mm lens on a 35mm camera. That can limit it's usefulness a bit for close quarters indoors.

But, if you have space to use it, a bright (f/1.4 or f/1.7) 50mm is a good lens to have in your bag, and can let you take photos in conditions where you may need a flash with most zoom lenses.

I tend to use my 28mm f/2 more than my other primes. But, someone else may use a longer lens more often instead.

No one lens is going to be perfect for all conditions. ;-)