Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:21 AM   #1

Just thought I'd share a recent phone conversation with Sony. I had ordered a used KM 3600HS on e-bay and didn't realize until I got it that it was missing the little "feet" thingy to stand it up in wireless mode. So, I called Sony and asked for a replacement part. They told me it was out of production and no longer available. So, I asked if it was the same part that comes with the Sony HVL-F36AM. He said no. I said I wanted to order it anyway because I know it was just rebadged and there's no way Sony redesigned the feet. He cautioned me that he could not guarantee the part was compatible. I really didn't feel like he was trying very hard to be helpful. This concerns me as a KM owner.

Anyway, I got it yesterday and it's the exact same part and it works like a charm!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2

You forget that unlike the staff at Konica Minolta, the Sony employees are not photographers!

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
Just thought I'd share a recent phone conversation with Sony. I had ordered a used KM 3600HS on e-bay and didn't realize until I got it that it was missing the little "feet" thingy to stand it up in wireless mode. So, I called Sony and asked for a replacement part. They told me it was out of production and no longer available. So, I asked if it was the same part that comes with the Sony HVL-F36AM. He said no. I said I wanted to order it anyway because I know it was just rebadged and there's no way Sony redesigned the feet. He cautioned me that he could not guarantee the part was compatible. I really didn't feel like he was trying very hard to be helpful. This concerns me as a KM owner.

Anyway, I got it yesterday and it's the exact same part and it works like a charm!
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:18 AM   #3

You make a very good point. One hopes that in such a competative market like DSLRs that the customer no-service reps would be specialized in that field. Sony is SO BIG and diverse I can't imagine their reps are familiar with EVERY product they offer. Especially when they would have to be trained on out of production KM models...I can see why that's just not a priority for them.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:29 PM   #4

I called sony the other day asking a few questions about km, well i had better luck looking it up on the net myself.

very poor customer relations.
joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:47 PM   #5

joee wrote:
Quote:
I called sony the other day asking a few questions about km, well i had better luck looking it up on the net myself.

very poor customer relations.
joee, Sony is Sony, not a branch of Minolta. The people who answer the phone probably can't tell you too much about Sony, much less Minolta. Good luck with your lens search.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2006, 6:48 PM   #6

DrChris wrote:
Quote:

BTW, it is available from KEH if you need another one.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote