Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:37 PM   #1

Ona fishing trip we took to the Eastern Sierra last weekend I was hesitant to bring my camera out of fear of destroyingit or the lens. But with the fall colors going off I decided to bring only my 18-70 along just to be safe.

Exposingmy camera to dust, smoke, snow, dirt and powerbaiton my camera/lens I managed to not damage anything. Just got it dirty.

WARNING! never grab your camera with power bait on your fingers. Unless you catch a really big fish you will regret it.

I bought a case of Ziess lens cleaner from Sams Club and wiped the entire camera down and that seemed to do a pretty good job.

Here's some photo's.

This is Lake Sabrina Marina.
Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:39 PM   #2

North Lake, elevation 10,000 feet
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:43 PM   #3

A lot of photographers at Lake Sabrina.
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:47 PM   #4

I caught this 3.75lb rainbow mix in the Owens River and had my friend hold it for me while I took this picture with power bait on the hands. Worth it.

Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:50 PM   #5

Back at camp around the fire.
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:53 PM   #6

Another 3.5lb caught in the Kern River. My friend caught that one.
Attached Images

Old Oct 11, 2006, 8:59 PM   #7

In conclusion I'd have to say that combining a fishing/tent campingtrip with photography you'd probably be better off bringing a good pocket camera.

It's hard to replace a 5D.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:45 PM   #8

Mike, This is one of the nicest phots I have seen in a long time. It would make a great picture for your den wall.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:04 AM   #9

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
In conclusion I'd have to say that combining a fishing/tent campingtrip with photography you'd probably be better off bringing a good pocket camera.

I've taken my camera saltwater fishing andgetting saltwateron my camera worries me a bit more than fresh water riskier. I think you just have to be careful and picky about when you use it. I took most of my photos at the beginning and end of the trip. I did take some inbtween catching fishes but made sure I was careful to prevent the camera from getting wet and made sure my hands were clean when handling the camera. I'm not too concerned about getting a stain and the camera body, but I would hate for anything to get on the buttons, controls, or the lens surface.The tough part is when you are trying to take pictures of seaguls and things while you are on the move and trying to avoid getting splashed, but a good of pictures is worth the risk. I am leaving for a fishing trip tomorrow and have no intention of leaving my 5D home.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:18 PM   #10

Yo meanstreak!

you can go fishing in new york?!! is it safe to eat the fish there? have fun, fish safe, and tight lines.

~aloha~

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
lomitamike wrote:
Quote:

I've taken my camera saltwater fishing andgetting saltwateron my camera worries me a bit more than fresh water riskier. I think you just have to be careful and picky about when you use it. I took most of my photos at the beginning and end of the trip. I did take some inbtween catching fishes but made sure I was careful to prevent the camera from getting wet and made sure my hands were clean when handling the camera. I'm not too concerned about getting a stain and the camera body, but I would hate for anything to get on the buttons, controls, or the lens surface.The tough part is when you are trying to take pictures of seaguls and things while you are on the move and trying to avoid getting splashed, but a good of pictures is worth the risk. I am leaving for a fishing trip tomorrow and have no intention of leaving my 5D home.

Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote