Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:36 PM   #1

What is the best in the $500 price range? Thanks for your help.
ps34109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2006, 7:13 AM   #2

Sigma 10-20 EX DC
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:17 AM   #3

Thank you for the info. Can you tell me the exact modelname and number. I located several, but none specify they are for the KM. Thanks again.
ps34109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:43 AM   #4
Administrator

Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC in Minolta mount at B&H

This is considered to be an "Ultra Wide" lens. On a KM DSLR, it would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 15-30mm lens on a 35mm camera.

There are a lot of choices in lenses, depending on how wide you want to go. My widest lens is the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 "Kit" lens. I've also got a Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5. I don't own anything wider than these two. From time to time, an Ultra Wide would be nice to have.

An ideal lens for me would probably be something like the new Sony/Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 (not shipping yet), giving you the same angle of view you'd have with a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera. Right this minute, my favorite "walk around" lens is the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. But, at times, it's not quite wide enough (hence the new Sony/Zeiss 16-80mm lens would make an atttractive alternative).

You can find user reviews on some of the popular lens choices for KM DSLR models at dyxum.com

Zooms:
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3

Fixed Focal Length (non-zoom):
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=1

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2006, 10:27 PM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC in Minolta mount at B&H

This is considered to be an "Ultra Wide" lens. On a KM DSLR, it would give you the same angle of view you'd have using a 15-30mm lens on a 35mm camera.

There are a lot of choices in lenses, depending on how wide you want to go. My widest lens is the 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 "Kit" lens. I've also got a Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5. I don't own anything wider than these two. From time to time, an Ultra Wide would be nice to have.

An ideal lens for me would probably be something like the new Sony/Zeiss 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 (not shipping yet), giving you the same angle of view you'd have with a 24-120mm lens on a 35mm camera. Right this minute, my favorite "walk around" lens is the Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5. But, at times, it's not quite wide enough (hence the new Sony/Zeiss 16-80mm lens would make an atttractive alternative).

You can find user reviews on some of the popular lens choices for KM DSLR models at dyxum.com

Zooms:
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3

Fixed Focal Length (non-zoom):
http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=1

Thanks Jim for pitching in...

Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2006, 1:40 PM   #6

ps34109 wrote:
Quote:
What is the best in the $500 price range? Thanks for your help.
If you are considering the 10-20mm Sigma, also take a look at the Tamron or KM 11-18MM. Like Jim said the Sigmais considered an Ultrawidezoom as is anything in that range. The trouble with lenses in this range is they are not as bright as lenses with greater focal lengths. Be prepared to add addtional lighting or use a flash indoors. There is also generally some noticeable but tolerable distortion at the wide end. It is generally only noticeable if there are a lot of straight lines at the edges of your photo.I do enjoy the unique perspective lenses in the Ultra range add to a photograph and it is amazing how close you can get to a subject and take in so much area at the same time. Lenses in this range are really fun to use.

It's really hard to tell you what is best since there are so many range choices. I also have a 20-40 Tamron lens that I really like and it is a bit brighter and not as extreme as the ultra wide zooms.

Of course, you could also go with lenses that cover a much wider area for convenience, but I find that lenses with smaller ranges work better for me as far sharpness throughout the entire range. It all depends on your wants and needs. I plan on looking at the new Tamron 18-250mm they are planning to release at the end of the year for those times when carrying one lens is the only way to go.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote