Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 17, 2006, 5:33 PM   #1
RJR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 42
Default

I purchased my first Minolta AF SLR film camera about 20 years ago and have carried ithat tradition on untill yesterday. I just could no longer wait for something to come along from Sony that would satisfy my needs. I have owned two 7D cameras and a 5D.

I went for the double rebate program and I ordered a Canon 30D for less than a grand after rebate and a couple of lenses yesterday. I'm now starting my lens collection all over again.

I already had sold my year old 7D and the 5D. This coming weekend I'm putting my last remaining 3 month old 7D and my rather substantial collection of lenses including the 70-210 Beercan and the crossed x 50mm up for sale on Ebay. I need to get some things sold so I can start buying all over again.

I feel kind of sad about it but all good things have to come to an end.:sad:

Update: It appears that the market for Konica-Minolta equipment is still very strong. I put all my equipment up for sale on 10 different Ebay auctions on 10 day buy it now and within 2 days all but two items have sold. I was very pleased and I hope my exoerience with Canon is as good as it was with Minolta.

RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
tmoreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 477
Default

Why Canon? Any other brands you considered?

Other than not fullfilling your compulsive buying daydreams, where or how is the Minolta/Sony system leaving you out in the cold?
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:38 AM   #3
RJR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 42
Default

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Why Canon? Any other brands you considered?

Other than not fullfilling your compulsive buying daydreams, where or how is the Minolta/Sony system leaving you out in the cold?

I looked at most everything available including full frame models and I had it narrowed down to either Nikon or Canon. After playing around with the Nikon 200 and the Canon 30D I wasn't sure untill the new double rebate program at Canon made me an offer I couldn't refuse and there was something about the Nikon that left me a little cold. I also felt very comfortable shooting with the Canon and I found the learning curve on the controls was very quick and the camera was nice to work with.

I really like my 7D but at this point I can sell my equipment for what I have in it and in the case of some lenses even more. If Konica Minolta was still in the picture I would most likely have not switched and after 20 years with Minolta it is kind of fun to try something new.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

RJR wrote:
Quote:
tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Why Canon? Any other brands you considered?

Other than not fullfilling your compulsive buying daydreams, where or how is the Minolta/Sony system leaving you out in the cold?

I looked at most everything available including full frame models and I had it narrowed down to either Nikon or Canon. After playing around with the Nikon 200 and the Canon 30D I wasn't sure untill the new double rebate program at Canon made me an offer I couldn't refuse and there was something about the Nikon that left me a little cold. I also felt very comfortable shooting with the Canon and I found the learning curve on the controls was very quick and the camera was nice to work with.

I really like my 7D but at this point I can sell my equipment for what I have in it and in the case of some lenses even more. If Konica Minolta was still in the picture I would most likely have not switched and after 20 years with Minolta it is kind of fun to try something new.
I sent you a PM.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
tmoreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 477
Default

Are you saying that you switched because the price to value ratio on your minolta gear was favorable and you wanted to try something new? For fun, or as an investment in future upgrades (when a switch would be less financially favorable)?

I'm still curious what the next two years will bring, Pentax has a good SLR line and I keep hearing about medium format. Canon has a good SLR line, the top of which dabbles in medium format. Nikon is pretty complete, but is at or past the limits of its pixel size and has noplace to go but full frame. That they dont act interested makes me weary of them, they have the resources to go to the next step but choose not to. We know Canon is already holding new stuff up its sleeve.

Sony hasnt gotten rolling yet, but has the resources to play hardball, no telling what thier lineup will look like. Oly/Pano/Lecia is a jumbled mess, but put together ought to be able to come up with something decent. I have my doubts about the overall viability of 4/3rds, but they could turn it around. The 1999-2004 DSLR market was practically a industry-wide prototype stage, now things are getting into production for real and competition is digging in. Canon was way out front, way ahead of everybody, but thats due to change (not that I think they are going anywhere, but its time that everyone else catches up).

Anyway, seems that were due for some heavy turnover in the market in the coming years. Not a time I want to be banking on anything long term, but if I had to pick a brand based on this kind of market analysis I'd have to go with Canon. I'm almost thinking that Sony is in a better place than Nikon right now (looking ahead two years, not back).

tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2006, 10:30 PM   #6
RJR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 42
Default

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Are you saying that you switched because the price to value ratio on your minolta gear was favorable and you wanted to try something new? For fun, or as an investment in future upgrades (when a switch would be less financially favorable)?


I think that is as close to anything as to why I'm doing it now. I do not feel that it is too much of a gamble and if something else comes along that I cannot do without I will most likely do it all over again.:-)
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Default

Do you have any interest in giving us a peek at your lens collection about to be sold? Or possibly post it at dyxum.com before ebay???

Just wondering...
revdocjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

revdocjim wrote:
Quote:
Do you have any interest in giving us a peek at your lens collection about to be sold? Or possibly post it at dyxum.com before ebay???

Just wondering...
Please do not attempt to conduct business in the forums (and that includes trying to "bend" the rules by making posts about items that you're wanting or selling in order to try and conduct business with another member).

We don't allow it here.

The confirmation e-mail that all users receive and agree to points out that wanted and for sale posts are not allowed in the forums.

Thanks.

Jim C.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:10 PM   #9
RJR
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 42
Default

Well the last of my Konica Minolta gear sold last night so that era has come to an end. I hope that I get as muchenjoyment from my new equipment.

It certainly seems that the Minolta market is still strong as it only took 5 days to sell everything and all but one lens were sold in the first two or three days so between the existing Minolta people and the new Sony people the market value of the high quality used equipment seems to be on the rise.

It has been a joy following this forum.
RJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2006, 6:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

Bob,

Lets stay in touch. I haven't had a chance to really try out the 17-35, but it's on my mind.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:21 PM.