Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:54 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 197
Default

Well I've kind of thought about just holding off. Sony will be working with Carl Z for new lenses also. I won't be really needing a long lens until next summer. So I may wait also.....and as more people buy the sony more lens will be made.

Iwas hoping that maybe I would be able to pick up a lens cheap but they just seem to be climbing up and up.

I really appreciate all the help I've had on this!

I've never met a nicer bunch this this group:G
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:58 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Well I've kind of thought about just holding off. Sony will be working with Carl Z for new lenses also. I won't be really needing a long lens until next summer. So I may wait also.....and as more people buy the sony more lens will be made.

Iwas hoping that maybe I would be able to pick up a lens cheap but they just seem to be climbing up and up.

I really appreciate all the help I've had on this!

I've never met a nicer bunch this this group:G
Tamron is coming out with an 18-250 specifically for the APS sizesensor that should be an ideal walk about lens. It is physically a bit smaller than the 28-300, I think the same size as the current 18-200, except it will have a SS mounting area.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:58 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Well I've kind of thought about just holding off. Sony will be working with Carl Z for new lenses also. I won't be really needing a long lens until next summer. So I may wait also.....and as more people buy the sony more lens will be made.

Iwas hoping that maybe I would be able to pick up a lens cheap but they just seem to be climbing up and up.

I really appreciate all the help I've had on this!

I've never met a nicer bunch this this group:G
Sorry about the double post, here is a link to Pop Photo's write up on the 18-250:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/31...red-glass.html


cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:09 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 197
Default

Oh thanks for the link!



Oh man this sounds like it might be the perfect lens. I know I'm going to hold off now
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
tmoreau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 477
Default

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Oh thanks for the link!


Oh man this sounds like it might be the perfect lens. I know I'm going to hold off now
Its going to be awhile! The tamron 17-50/2.8 announced early this year or late 2005 shipped in may for canon mounts but STILL isnt availible in minolta. I'd say you should expect at least a year wait on the 18-250.

Plus, there is no Perfect Lens.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:05 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 197
Default

I can wait I have my kit lens and my old 200-400 which takes decent pictures at 200 and muddy at 400 so I'm ok for the time being
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:49 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Oh thanks for the link!


Oh man this sounds like it might be the perfect lens. I know I'm going to hold off now
Its going to be awhile! The tamron 17-50/2.8 announced early this year or late 2005 shipped in may for canon mounts but STILL isnt availible in minolta. I'd say you should expect at least a year wait on the 18-250.

Plus, there is no Perfect Lens.
I'm hoping you're wrong. Though I don't need any lenses in a hurry, I would love to give up my 28-300 Tamron to get the 18-250. Of course I only want it if it can provide similiar results to the 28-300. The 28-300does a decent job considering it is almost an 11x lens. Unfortunatly in order to get decent sharpness results I find the lowest tolerable aperature setting is 4.5 so itdoesn't live up to my expectations indoors.For use around the house, I have better options since there is no need for the tele endof this lens and it isn't wide enough anyway. Another thing that bothers me about this lens as I take more pictures with it, is that I notice that the focus is not always on the money. Occasionly I get slightly soft results, which I thought might have been aperature related but I noticed that if I take several consective shots of the same subject, some shots come out better than others. Overall, I still like this lens and it's great when only one lens will do.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:56 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
cope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 718
Default

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I'm hoping you're wrong. Though I don't need any lenses in a hurry, I would love to give up my 28-300 Tamron to get the 18-250. Of course I only want it if it can provide similiar results to the 28-300. The 28-300does a decent job considering it is almost an 11x lens. Unfortunatly in order to get decent sharpness results I find the lowest tolerable aperature setting is 4.5 so itdoesn't live up to my expectations indoors.For use around the house, I have better options since there is no need for the tele endof this lens and it isn't wide enough anyway. Another thing that bothers me about this lens as I take more pictures with it, is that I notice that the focus is not always on the money. Occasionly I get slightly soft results, which I thought might have been aperature related but I noticed that if I take several consective shots of the same subject, some shots come out better than others. Overall, I still like this lens and it's great when only one lens will do.
I agree, the 28-300 is no indoor lens, but I never bought it for that. Indoors it is easy to have all your lenses avaiable, on a long walk or trip, not so easy, and the 28-300 works great as a go to lens. My 18-70 has proven to be a good indoor lens with on board flash.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:40 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 197
Default

I just want to say thank you...you have all been so helpful with all the information. I've learned a lot just reading through all of the threads.

You are an awesome group of photographers
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:31 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
meanstreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,234
Default

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I'm hoping you're wrong. Though I don't need any lenses in a hurry, I would love to give up my 28-300 Tamron to get the 18-250. Of course I only want it if it can provide similiar results to the 28-300. The 28-300does a decent job considering it is almost an 11x lens. Unfortunatly in order to get decent sharpness results I find the lowest tolerable aperature setting is 4.5 so itdoesn't live up to my expectations indoors.For use around the house, I have better options since there is no need for the tele endof this lens and it isn't wide enough anyway. Another thing that bothers me about this lens as I take more pictures with it, is that I notice that the focus is not always on the money. Occasionly I get slightly soft results, which I thought might have been aperature related but I noticed that if I take several consective shots of the same subject, some shots come out better than others. Overall, I still like this lens and it's great when only one lens will do.
I agree, the 28-300 is no indoor lens, but I never bought it for that. Indoors it is easy to have all your lenses avaiable, on a long walk or trip, not so easy, and the 28-300 works great as a go to lens. My 18-70 has proven to be a good indoor lens with on board flash.
Quote:
Indoors settings such as my house or houses I visit, I used to run mostly the 28-75mm 2.8. Lately I run with the Tamron 20-40 F2.7-3.5. I find the range just right and if I need to shoot wider or closer I can usually just take a few steps in either direction. It is usually bright enough, but if I need a little light, I can resort to the onboard flash or the 5600. If I have room to work with the 50mm 1.7 is really the best option since I almost never need to use the flash except as fill. If I really need wide I can also break out the KM 11-18, but I generally don't need ultrawide in a household setting and as with all zooms in this range, it is not bright enough. I love it for outdoors though, it really is great having a lens that goes down to 11mm. I hate to say this, but sometimes I wish I had less lenses since it is sometimes difficult to choose. That's why I can't wait to see the results of the 18-250 because I think that will be the perfect walk around lens.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:53 AM.