Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:54 PM   #11

Well I've kind of thought about just holding off. Sony will be working with Carl Z for new lenses also. I won't be really needing a long lens until next summer. So I may wait also.....and as more people buy the sony more lens will be made.

Iwas hoping that maybe I would be able to pick up a lens cheap but they just seem to be climbing up and up.

I really appreciate all the help I've had on this!

I've never met a nicer bunch this this group:G
Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:58 PM   #12

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Well I've kind of thought about just holding off. Sony will be working with Carl Z for new lenses also. I won't be really needing a long lens until next summer. So I may wait also.....and as more people buy the sony more lens will be made.

Iwas hoping that maybe I would be able to pick up a lens cheap but they just seem to be climbing up and up.

Tamron is coming out with an 18-250 specifically for the APS sizesensor that should be an ideal walk about lens. It is physically a bit smaller than the 28-300, I think the same size as the current 18-200, except it will have a SS mounting area.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 8:58 PM   #13

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:

Sorry about the double post, here is a link to Pop Photo's write up on the 18-250:

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/31...red-glass.html

Old Oct 20, 2006, 9:09 AM   #14

Oh thanks for the link!

Oh man this sounds like it might be the perfect lens. I know I'm going to hold off now
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:41 PM   #15

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Oh thanks for the link!

Oh man this sounds like it might be the perfect lens. I know I'm going to hold off now
Its going to be awhile! The tamron 17-50/2.8 announced early this year or late 2005 shipped in may for canon mounts but STILL isnt availible in minolta. I'd say you should expect at least a year wait on the 18-250.

Plus, there is no Perfect Lens.
tmoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:05 PM   #16

I can wait I have my kit lens and my old 200-400 which takes decent pictures at 200 and muddy at 400 so I'm ok for the time being
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:49 PM   #17

tmoreau wrote:
Quote:
Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
Oh thanks for the link!

Its going to be awhile! The tamron 17-50/2.8 announced early this year or late 2005 shipped in may for canon mounts but STILL isnt availible in minolta. I'd say you should expect at least a year wait on the 18-250.

Plus, there is no Perfect Lens.
I'm hoping you're wrong. Though I don't need any lenses in a hurry, I would love to give up my 28-300 Tamron to get the 18-250. Of course I only want it if it can provide similiar results to the 28-300. The 28-300does a decent job considering it is almost an 11x lens. Unfortunatly in order to get decent sharpness results I find the lowest tolerable aperature setting is 4.5 so itdoesn't live up to my expectations indoors.For use around the house, I have better options since there is no need for the tele endof this lens and it isn't wide enough anyway. Another thing that bothers me about this lens as I take more pictures with it, is that I notice that the focus is not always on the money. Occasionly I get slightly soft results, which I thought might have been aperature related but I noticed that if I take several consective shots of the same subject, some shots come out better than others. Overall, I still like this lens and it's great when only one lens will do.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2006, 7:56 AM   #18

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I'm hoping you're wrong. Though I don't need any lenses in a hurry, I would love to give up my 28-300 Tamron to get the 18-250. Of course I only want it if it can provide similiar results to the 28-300. The 28-300does a decent job considering it is almost an 11x lens. Unfortunatly in order to get decent sharpness results I find the lowest tolerable aperature setting is 4.5 so itdoesn't live up to my expectations indoors.For use around the house, I have better options since there is no need for the tele endof this lens and it isn't wide enough anyway. Another thing that bothers me about this lens as I take more pictures with it, is that I notice that the focus is not always on the money. Occasionly I get slightly soft results, which I thought might have been aperature related but I noticed that if I take several consective shots of the same subject, some shots come out better than others. Overall, I still like this lens and it's great when only one lens will do.
I agree, the 28-300 is no indoor lens, but I never bought it for that. Indoors it is easy to have all your lenses avaiable, on a long walk or trip, not so easy, and the 28-300 works great as a go to lens. My 18-70 has proven to be a good indoor lens with on board flash.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:40 AM   #19

I just want to say thank you...you have all been so helpful with all the information. I've learned a lot just reading through all of the threads.

You are an awesome group of photographers
Old Oct 22, 2006, 8:31 PM   #20

cope wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I agree, the 28-300 is no indoor lens, but I never bought it for that. Indoors it is easy to have all your lenses avaiable, on a long walk or trip, not so easy, and the 28-300 works great as a go to lens. My 18-70 has proven to be a good indoor lens with on board flash.
Quote:
Indoors settings such as my house or houses I visit, I used to run mostly the 28-75mm 2.8. Lately I run with the Tamron 20-40 F2.7-3.5. I find the range just right and if I need to shoot wider or closer I can usually just take a few steps in either direction. It is usually bright enough, but if I need a little light, I can resort to the onboard flash or the 5600. If I have room to work with the 50mm 1.7 is really the best option since I almost never need to use the flash except as fill. If I really need wide I can also break out the KM 11-18, but I generally don't need ultrawide in a household setting and as with all zooms in this range, it is not bright enough. I love it for outdoors though, it really is great having a lens that goes down to 11mm. I hate to say this, but sometimes I wish I had less lenses since it is sometimes difficult to choose. That's why I can't wait to see the results of the 18-250 because I think that will be the perfect walk around lens.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote