Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 19, 2006, 1:29 PM   #1

I own a Maxxum 5000i with 3 lenses;

Quantaray Tech-10 AF 34 f/2.8

Maxxum AF Zoom 35-80 f/4.0-5.6

Maxxum AF Zoom 80-200 f/4.5-5.6

Is my lens investement worth preserving?

I've got an opportunity to buy a Maxxum 5D with 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 lens (a $59 value) for $599. I canalso buy a 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 for $160.

I'm a little confused by how to 'normalize' the analog and digital lenses when fit on a digital body. If I use a new 18-70 digital era lense and my old 80-200 analog era lens, do I have a small gap from 70-to-80, a bigger gap, or an overlap?

MBryga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:24 PM   #2

Your lens collection sucks. LOL

don't buy that 75-300 its too expensive. You're supposed to buy it for 60 bucks, no more. Other than that for 600 bucks that 5D and kit lens are a good deal.

MBryga wrote:
Quote:
I own a Maxxum 5000i with 3 lenses;

Quantaray Tech-10 AF 34 f/2.8

Maxxum AF Zoom 35-80 f/4.0-5.6

Maxxum AF Zoom 80-200 f/4.5-5.6

Is my lens investement worth preserving?

I've got an opportunity to buy a Maxxum 5D with 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 lens (a $59 value) for $599. I canalso buy a 75-300 f/4.5-5.6 for $160.

I'm a little confused by how to 'normalize' the analog and digital lenses when fit on a digital body. If I use a new 18-70 digital era lense and my old 80-200 analog era lens, do I have a small gap from 70-to-80, a bigger gap, or an overlap?

maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2006, 3:28 PM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the Forums.

All of your lenses will work on the Maxxum 5D.

Do you mean a Quantaray 24mm f/2.8 versus 34mm f/2.8?

If so, 24mm is a good focal length to have on a DSLR. Most Quantaray Lenses (the Wolf/Ritz "House' brand), are made by Sigma. Some are better than others. But, just about any prime (fixed focal length versus zoom) should be a good lens.

As for focal length, because the sensor is smaller in most DSLR models compared to 35mm film, you'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for any given focal length.

With current DSLR models using Sony Sensors (Pentax, Nikon, Konica Minolta, Sony), you need to multiply the focal length by 1.5x to see how the angle of view compares to the same focal length lens on a 35mm camera.

For example, the 18-70mm kit lens with the Maxxum 5D would have the same angle of view that a 27-105mm lens would have on a 35mm camera.

So, your lenses will appear to be 50% longer on a DSLR compared to the same focal lengths on a 35mm camera.

If you were able to use a "made for digital only" lens like the 18-70mm lens on a 35mm camera, the angle of view would remain the same as using a lens designed for a 35mm camera. All lenses are marked by their actual (versus 35mm equivalent) focal length.

But, the iimage circle is smaller with a "made for digital lens", so you'd get vignetting (darkening of corners) trying to use one (especially at wider focal lengths and apertures) on a 35mm camera.

These types of lenses can be made smaller and lighter for a given focal range, since the image circle doesn't need to be as large. But, they're not designed for use on a 35mm camera.

Since lenses for a 35mm camera can be used, and the sensor in a DSLR is smaller than 35mm film, the good news is that you're using the "sweet spot" (center of a lens) where a lens is usually sharpest.

So, I'd give your existing lenses a test drive before spending money on anything else, especially since you'll have the 18-70mm lens to help cover the wide end, along with what I think is probably a Sigma (rebranded as Quantaray) 24mm f/2.8 prime (which should be a pretty good lens on a DSLR, giving you the same angle of view you'd have using a 36mm lens on a 35mm camera).

Again, welcome to the forums, and I hope to see you posting more often. Let us know if you grab the 5D kit (and I'd skip the 75-300mm at that price, especially since you already have what's probably an equivalent or better quality Maxxum 80-200mm lens, giving you the same angle of view on a DSLR that you'd have using a 120-300mm lens on a 35mm camera).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote