Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 30, 2006, 3:30 PM   #11

all right whenever i look for

Minolta Auto Focus 70-210 F4 MACRO (55) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

I get 4 lenses which are like 150 dollars...i can't seem to find the vivitar lens you guys are talking about, the one for 89 dollars. I must be really slow....lol. could someone give me a link? also would this lens fit the Maxxum 7000i?
kevavekog258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:23 PM   #12
Administrator

I have not had the opportunity to properly evaluate this lens yet, and I may not be able to test it any time soon due to personal reasons (wife just had surgery, etc.).

So, I cannot offer an unbiased opinon yet.

But, for $89, my suggestion right now would be to buy it. I will say that it's much better than expected, based on my limited use so far. I will also say that Autofocus accuracy is "spot on" (i.e., as good as you could expect from any lens). For the price, it's a steal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160045701263

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:31 PM   #13

Gozinta wrote:
Quote:
So this is pushpull only zoom?
Yes, but I have owned several push/pull zooms, and it isn't that big of a deal to me.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:29 PM   #14

Thank you very much for the info and the link. And I haven't had much experience at concerts, but thankfully most that I go to are usually small venues where I'm beside the stage, or on it, or at least near it. Besides it's all for personal pleasure =) I'm probably going to buy this lens tonight and test it out on the next concert I go to in a few days. Once again thank you very much for the help.
kevavekog258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 4:48 AM   #15
Administrator

In a small club, if you don't have good stage lighting, you may want to try and find a 50mm f/1.7, too.

You'd have f/2.8 on the wide end of a lens like the Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4, and it can maintain f/3.5 through most of the focal range (which is only a half stop down).

But, another stop or so could come in handy (a 50mm f/1.7 is more than twice as bright as you'd have on the wide end of a lens like the Vivitar.

Old Oct 31, 2006, 6:54 AM   #16
Administrator

Gozinta wrote
Quote:
Yes, and this one seems pretty tight (although smooth and well made from what I can tell so far).

But, that's probably a good thing, since it will help limit zoom creep. Only time will tell how well it will work after breaking it in more.

So, you're not going to change focal lengths as fast as you will with a twist type zoom mechanism, unless you work out more than I do. :-)

Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:04 AM   #17

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Gozinta wrote
Quote:
Yes, and this one seems pretty tight (although smooth and well made from what I can tell so far).

But, that's probably a good thing, since it will help limit zoom creep. Only time will tell how well it will work after breaking it in more.

So, you're not going to change focal lengths as fast as you will with a twist type zoom mechanism, unless you work out more than I do. :-)

I have a large pushpull zoom and I find it is actually pretty fast when going to either max focal length. I only find it more difficult when trying to adjust in between focal lengths because it seemseasier to overshoot the desired focal lengthunless I move it slowly.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:11 AM   #18

kevavekog258 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you very much for the info and the link. And I haven't had much experience at concerts, but thankfully most that I go to are usually small venues where I'm beside the stage, or on it, or at least near it. Besides it's all for personal pleasure =) I'm probably going to buy this lens tonight and test it out on the next concert I go to in a few days. Once again thank you very much for the help.
In case the one in the link sells they usually posty another by the next day. They actually have another right now listed for the Maxxum instead of the Alpha but as you know it is the same lens.

Ebay Listing for Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4

There are someVivitars listed that look identical but they are the old Minolta manual mount lenses.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:29 AM   #19
Administrator

I edited the last post and put code tags around the long URL to the listing on Ebay so that it looks like this now:

Ebay Listing for Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4

A long URL will cause the entire thread to be displayed wider in most browsers, since they won't word wrap until they see a space.

If you're not familiar with code tags, here's how:

Code:
Your Description Goes Here

You simply insert the URL (the link to a web page) after  at the end of the URL Then, you end your description with 
For Ebay Listings, you can also do this, ending it with the desired item number.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160045126140