Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 29, 2006, 6:23 PM   #1

I like to take a lot of pictures at concerts usually from backstage or between the crowd and the stage. I bought a new camera (Minolta Maxxum 7000i (Film) ) and I'm using an AF 28-70 zoom lens on it, but I want to get a new lens that can zoom in a lot more (So like i can get good close ups of their face and stuff like that) and possibly zoom out more for like a wider angle. I hope I made sense...thanks for the help
kevavekog258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:24 PM   #2

Unless you are wanting to spend a lot on a new Sony fast (constant f2.8 ) wide to 200mm zoom. You will probably need a 2 lens solution. I would look for at least the constant f2.8 in each & check out the reviews on them here:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=3
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:32 PM   #3
Administrator

Welcome to the forums.

I moved this post down to our Konica Minolta/Sony Alpha dSLR Forum so that Minolta shooters will see the post and can give you some tips.

In a zoom lens, you'll probably want to look at an f/2.8 zoom lens if budget permits, depending on how good the lighting is.

Sigma makes a 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO lens that's a popular choice for low light use. It runs around $800 in new condition. They're a bit less on the used market. They're getting a bit scarce right now at dealers though.

An equivalent Minolta f/2.8 zoom is probably going to run you quite a bit more now (dealers have sold out of new lenses like this and they're getting pretty hard to come by on the used market). Also, keep you eyes open for a Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 on the used market. The HS (High Speed) version is more desirable.

Sony has a new 70-200mm f/2.8 SSM lens coming out soon (rebranded Minolta 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM). But, it's probably going to sell for close to list price initially (suggested list will be $2,399).

There are lower cost options, too.

For example, I took some snapshots recently at a Mother's Finest Concert using a cheap Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 lens I paid $79.95 for. lol

It's not going to be as sharp as a higher quality lens, and your shutter speeds won't be as fast as you'd get from a zoom that could maintain f/2.8 througout it's focal range. But, it would work in a pinch if the photos are for personal use.

A better option in a lower cost lens if budget doesn't permit an f/2.8 zoom would probably be a "Beercan" (a nickname given to the Minolta 70-210mm f/4). It's around $150 or so on the used market. If budget permits, an f/2.8 zoom would be a better way to go though.

What kind of budget do you have?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:39 PM   #4
Administrator

I must have been typing while Kalypso posted. lol

I didn't see his comments before I finished.

Zooming out wide enough with a 70-210mm might be an issue, depending on how close you are. So, he's probably on the right track with a 2 lens setup being a better way to go.

You might be able to get away with it OK with just a 70-210mm though with film. With digital, it would appear to be 50% longer (because the sensors are smaller compared to film).

P.S.

You'll find some concert snapshots from my $79.95 Vivitar in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

But, a higher quality lens that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's focal range would probably be a better way to go.

Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:29 PM   #5

you've both been a lot of help. as of right now my budget is kind of tight being a college student and all lol...but I think the "Beercan" would probably be pretty good for me. any idea where I can get that at a good price? Used is fine.
kevavekog258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:13 AM   #6
Administrator

http://www.keh.com has some in stock right now in various conditions.

They're a very reputable vendor of used gear.

Just look for Minolta Autofocus under the 35mm Section.

Then, go to Zoom Lenses uner the Lenses Section and you'll see some listings for it if you scroll through the lenses. Once you get to the first page of Minolta Autofocus Zoom Lenses, you can select "View All" at the top so that you get all lenses on one page.

They have some starting at a bit over $100 in bargain condition. The Listings turn over pretty often. So, they may have more or less of them in stock at any given time.

The listings for it at KEH.com will read like this:

Minolta Auto Focus 70-210 F4 MACRO (55) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS ZOOM TELEPHOTO LENS

You can find some user reviews of it here:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=48

You're probably going to need to shoot with ISO 1600 film to improve your percentage of keepers without too much motion blur shooting at f/4, depending on how good the stage lighting is.

I'd suggest giving Fuji Superia X-Tra 1600 a try if you haven't already. You can find it at your local Ritz/Wolf. Concert Lighting can leave a lot to be desired. lol

Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:12 PM   #7

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I must have been typing while Kalypso posted. lol

I didn't see his comments before I finished.

Zooming out wide enough with a 70-210mm might be an issue, depending on how close you are. So, he's probably on the right track with a 2 lens setup being a better way to go.

You might be able to get away with it OK with just a 70-210mm though with film. With digital, it would appear to be 50% longer (because the sensors are smaller compared to film).

P.S.

You'll find some concert snapshots from my $79.95 Vivitar in this thread:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=5

But, a higher quality lens that can maintain f/2.8 throughout it's focal range would probably be a better way to go.

Looks like they raised the price to 89 dollars on the Vivitar

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:41 PM   #8

Gozinta wrote:
Quote:

Looks like they raised the price to 89 dollars on the Vivitar

I swear the dealers read these forums to set prices.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:49 PM   #9
Administrator

From what I can tell so far, it's really not a bad lens at all. CA seems to be a bit of a problem from a few photos I've taken in daylight with it, probably due to a touch of edge softness. But center sharpness is good from what I can see based on limited number of photos.

For $79 (or should I say $89, now that ths price has gone up), it's one heck of a bargain for a lens with it's focal range and brightness (and sharpness isn't too shabby with it either, even at wide open apertures).

I've got a feeling that the lower than average user ratings I've seen for it have more to do with the dislike for the push-pull zoom design versus optical issues.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:06 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:
From what I can tell so far, it's really not a bad lens at all. CA seems to be a bit of a problem from a few photos I've taken in daylight with it, probably due to a touch of edge softness. But center sharpness is good from what I can see based on limited number of photos.

For $79 (or should I say $89, now that ths price has gone up), it's one heck of a bargain for a lens with it's focal range and brightness (and sharpness isn't too shabby with it either, even at wide open apertures).

I've got a feeling that the lower than average user ratings I've seen for it have more to do with the dislike for the push-pull zoom design versus optical issues.

So this is pushpull only zoom?

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote