Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:00 AM   #11

i thought the second photo was of a giant beam aimed straight at the sun at first look lol. great pictures, ive had great experiences with my photos at night
Attached Images

DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:02 AM   #12

a second, this was reaaaallly a slow shutter, at mos 1/10 of a second (and i think slower). hence the natural lighting (the olde lampposts) gave the houses that light (a little tweaked with photoshop, yes as is the other). it still has a slight blur though
Attached Images

Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:03 AM   #13

what noise reduction software do you use anyway (provided that its free )
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:11 AM   #14

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm... I wonder if maybe blur from mirror slap isn't as much of an issue at a slower 1/3 to 1/2 second, since the mirror vibration is a lower percentage of total.

Or, should I try mirror lockup with hand held photos, too? lol
ive never heard of mirror slap and mirror lockup, im assuming mirror blur occurs right after the shot is taken and the mirror comes back down, but this sounds like its negligible so hence my second question in what situations would mirror blur blur photos?
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:17 AM   #15

theoretically it will add some 'shake' to any shot, however imperceptable

ANY hand held shot will have 'shake' - however slight it may be
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:41 AM   #16
Administrator

I actually took a few hand held shots like that Saturday night (self timer with mirror lockup). I haven't had a chance to go through them yet.

I was using ISO 3200, shooting at 1/10 second for a number of them. Many are a bit underexposed though (I used Shutter Priority and let it underexpose at 1/10 second when the aperture was already wide open, since I was shooting moving subjects and figured that the underexposure and increased noise was the lesser of the two evils). So, they're going to be a bit noisy, and most are going to have some motion blur.

They were just fun shots of people outside at night during a party, and figured I'd see what I could get away with. When I have a chance to go through them, I'll try to post a few later.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:23 PM   #17

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I was browsing through some of the snapshots I took a few weekends ago at a Mother's Finest Concert and found some at pretty slow shutter speeds, while I was bracketing shots of the scenary while walking around before the concert.

Hmmm... I wonder if maybe blur from mirror slap isn't as much of an issue at a slower 1/3 to 1/2 second, since the mirror vibration is a lower percentage of total.

Or, should I try mirror lockup with hand held photos, too? lol

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, ISO 1600, Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 at 70mm, one stop down from wide open at f/4, hand held at 1/2.5 second according to Irfanview (rounds toa faster1/3 secondusing IExif). Cropped and Downsized using Irfanview. EXIF in image.

It's sharper than you'd expect for shutter speeds that slow.

Anti-Shake was on of course. :-)
Jim, at what focal length does the Vivitar start to lose F 2.8 ?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:35 PM   #18
Administrator

It's a relatively gradual change.

It can shoot at f/2.8 from around 70-85mm, then f/3.2 from around 85-120mm, then f/3.5 from about 120-140mm, with f/4 available from around 140-210mm.

So, you're within a half stop of f/2.8 through much of the zoom range.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:52 PM   #19

JimC wrote:
Quote:
It's a relatively gradual change.

It can shoot at f/2.8 from around 70-85mm, then f/3.2 from around 85-120mm, then f/3.5 from about 120-140mm, with f/4 available from around 140-210mm.

So, you're within a half stop of f/2.8 through much of the zoom range.

I think I waited too long. I don't see the Vivitar listed anymore and they normally have one posted fot the Alpha and one for the Maxxum. Unless they just sold and are just between listings.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:21 PM   #20

I just checked the links and it looks like the listing for the Minolta sold but the Alpha listing didn't and that was today so they will probably relist