Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:27 PM   #21
Administrator

Yes, I'd expect them to list more since this one didn't sell (listing expired earlier today):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160045701263

Hopefully, the price won't keep going up. I still haven't had a chance to use it much.

But, it seems like a pretty good bargain for it's focal range and brightness, with acceptable sharpness for the types of photos I'd use it for.

I remember seeing some CA in a couple of shots I did take in daylight. I also noticed a bit of flare in some of the night shots.

But, I get that with a lot of lenses. Considering that it would cost me 10 times as much to go with a higher quality lens that's brighter with it's focal range, I think it will work for as little as I'd use one.

If you don't care about having f/2.8 on the wide end, the beercan (Minolta 70-210mm f/4) would probably make a better choice from user opinions I've seen. But, you'll have faster shutter speeds at anything below about 140mm with the Vivitar if you need a low light lens at higher ISO speeds using it wide open.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 2:42 PM   #22
Administrator

If you really wanted one, you could probably just call them and they'd sell it to you for the same price (especially since it would save them the Ebay listing fees). Cope suggested that a while back when we were discussing their listings.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:08 PM   #23

I'm a great fan of anti-shakein general (why wouln't I be!)but of the in-body system in particular. When it is on (and there is a little time in which to shoot) I find the LED indications to be a pretty good bio-feedback mechanism and I can hold the camera much steadier than when they are not on.

With a bit of practise I can usually get even my 400mm Sigma down to 1 sometimes 2 indicators on when it is 4-5 when I start. Anyone else "hooked in" to their camera?

Chris

cclondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:50 PM   #24

yeah definitely, and with taking photos right inbetween breaths helps a little too.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:09 PM   #25

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you really wanted one, you could probably just call them and they'd sell it to you for the same price (especially since it would save them the Ebay listing fees). Cope suggested that a while back when we were discussing their listings.
I intend to call them in the morning since I don't see a relisting yet. I also got a lead that they might be selling another lens they no longer sell on EBay that they still have. Maybe they can sell me both and combine shipping.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:43 PM   #26

Regarding CA, I've seen noticable CA in both my 100/2 and my 80-200 f/2.8 HS APO, it all depends on just how hard you look!!!

But, the CA in both my 100/2 and 80-200 is about one quarter or lesser than what I saw first in the circuit city lens. I kept the CC just so I can compare any new lenses against it.

The vivitar although a light and cheap piece of plastic is somewhat better than the CC lens in terms of CA. The trade off is, you don't go all the way to 300 with it either.

Flare is a common problem, I think at this point I have some of the best lenses made by minolta and they all have minor noticable problems related to flare. I used to think better lenses don't have flare issues. Wrong! They all do, just some deal with it better than others. I was surprised to see a strong flare with my 100 f/2.8 macro!!!

I still regret spending all this money in the quest for the perfect lenses, when I could have simply done what you did and be satisfied with a small number of good glass...

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I remember seeing some CA in a couple of shots I did take in daylight. I also noticed a bit of flare in some of the night shots.

But, I get that with a lot of lenses. Considering that it would cost me 10 times as much to go with a higher quality lens that's brighter with it's focal range, I think it will work for as little as I'd use one.

If you don't care about having f/2.8 on the wide end, the beercan (Minolta 70-210mm f/4) would probably make a better choice from user opinions I've seen. But, you'll have faster shutter speeds at anything below about 140mm with the Vivitar if you need a low light lens at higher ISO speeds using it wide open.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:50 PM   #27

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
I still regret spending all this money in the quest for the perfect lenses, when I could have simply done what you did and be satisfied with a small number of good glass...
You should have no problem recuping most or all of what you spent if you decide to dump some of the lenses you don't need or want.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:57 PM   #28

The problem is, I want to keep them all! Like sit on top of them and admire them, and what not, take some pictures and put them online and look at them to see which one does what..guess which picture is from the 100/2 and which from 100/2.8 games.

The only ones I want to sell are the cheap plastic lenses.

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
You should have no problem recuping most or all of what you spent if you decide to dump some of the lenses you don't need or want.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:04 PM   #29

Yeah, and the cheap ones won't bring any money, which makes it a waste of time to sell those even. (and I do sometimes use those lenses when I'm going somewhere dirty or allowing the kids to run amok with the camera. ) I do think that Minolta A mount lenses will continue to increase in value for quite some time as the Alpha is selling pretty well.

Now if Sony could get a handle on the price of Sony glass.....
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote