Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1

I'm rather new to photography and this is my first post on here; I have a Minolta 800si (and had a Minolta 5) before I bought the 5D. I have a Quantaray QTB-9500A flash (Promaster 5700) that I used a lot with the film cameras. My question: Has anyone tried using one of these with a 5D? From what I've seen on voltage sites it has a 5 or less trigger voltage, and since it worked on my film cameras I was assuming the minolta module wouldn't harm the 5d. Is that a correct assumption?

If the trigger voltage is less than 6v it means I can hook it upwith the minolta si module on it and it will not do any damage so I can play around with it right?

Everyone else.. keep up the good posts. I've been reading stuff on here for a while, and I've gotten some great tips
charlemeign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:30 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Sionce even the new Sigmas which were designed for the 5D/7D don't always perform as planned, i would suspect your Quantary will work like the older Minolta 5400HS, in full power only. You may be able to work around it, but a better solution would be a 5600 or Metz.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 9:51 AM   #3

I tried a Promaster 5550dx on my 5D and it only shot at full power:angry:. Not sure about the 5700. I'm pretty sure the 7500dx is compatible, but for less $ I picked up a used Minolta 3600HS on E-Bay and I love it. Great exposures almost every time and the wireless capability is awesome.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4

Have people successfully used the promaster 7500dx with a 5d? Promaster told me the 7500dx was compatible with all minolta digitals except the 5d....

charlemeign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:16 PM   #5

charlemeign wrote:
Quote:
Have people successfully used the promaster 7500dx with a 5d? Promaster told me the 7500dx was compatible with all minolta digitals except the 5d....

I have read several positive reports on the 7500, but I cannot remember if the users had 5D or 7D.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote