Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 2, 2006, 5:21 AM   #1

I'm taking a studio lighting class and using my KM 5D, which doesn't have a place for the sync cord to the alien bee flash unit we're using.* My instructor told me to buy a hot shoe adapter and go with the more expensive one that has surge protection.* I see there's a cheap on on ebay that's the equivalent of the FS-1100 which I understand does not have surge protection.I see that the PCT-100 is no longer available - is there a third party equivalent?* Any thoughts?thanks,Amy
actionwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 7:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Nick (a KM user in Hong Kong) made some of the third FS-1100 adapters with optional voltage protection built in. But, they're pretty rare and he doesn't have time to make any more.

Pete Ganzel has a schematic for adding voltage protection to an FS-1100, and you could probably do the same thing with the 3rd party adapters:

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/fs1100_flash_isolator

Wein also makes a safe sync line of products designed to reduce trigger voltage to an acceptable level.

Here's an example of an inline adapter that would probably work as a solution using the PC Sync port built into the 3rd Party FS-1100 type adapter from Ebay (if you're looking at the one that has both a hotshoe and sync port, as the Minolta FS-1100 doesn't give you a sync port)

Wein Safe Sync for PC Sync Cords at B&H

There are other solutions available, too. For example, you could use a radio trigger in the hotshoe. I'm seeing some mixed reports on triggers that do and don't work. For example, I've seen reports of Pocket Wizards working and some other brands not working.

See this thread for details:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=54

You could also use an optical trigger designed to ignore a preflash and trigger it from you camera's flash (a trigger that's not designed to ignore preflashes will trigger too soon)

Wein makes a "Digital Aware" slave trigger that is designed to ignore preflashs. They run $79.95 a 3 pack at B&H (or $34.95 each).

Wein Digital Peanut Slave Triggers

Or, use an ISO standard flash via an FS-1100 as a trigger for typical optical slaves (a non-dedicated strobe won't fire a preflash).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 9:54 AM   #3

Thanks, Jim - can you tell if this third party hot shoe adapter has a pc synce port? I can't!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-Dynax-So...QQcmdZViewItem
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:10 AM   #4
Administrator

It looks the same as mine, and if so, it has a PC Sync Port (with no voltage protection, so you'd need something like the Wein Safe Sync I mentioned for strobes with higher trigger voltages).

The adapter is made in Hong Kong and they're available for $14.95 plus $5.00 shipping from this vendor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170044448503

I'm not familiar with the other vendor. The adapter appears to be the same though.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2006, 10:46 AM   #5

Thanks again, Jim. Now all I need is the Wein Safe Sync gadget and I'm set.