Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:00 PM   #11

You just said 'blades stuck', some pictures, and then 'opinion needed'. I still say they look cool. This lens is a keeper, IMHO.

joee wrote:
Quote:
yes i'm looking for what could be the problem with this lens, see my other post lens problems.

bought this off of ebay & now the guy is saying there was nothing wrong with it when he sold it.
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:02 PM   #12

That guy was b.s.ing you. Maybe this is why he sold the lens in the first place. You may try to dispute the sale or something. Because lens apertures don't get stuck in shipping/handling. If that was the case all our lenses shipped from around the world would have stuck aperture blades.

Ask for a refund. How much did you pay for it?

joee wrote:
Quote:
I need a lens guru, i've got a lens that's really messed up.

i took some shots & allmost every shot was way overexposed (35-105 lens), if i use say F4.5- shutter speed 160 it does ok, now as i use aperture priority gradually going from f4.5 to f20 shutter speed of 15, adjusting shutter speed per aperturechanges, itjust keep getting more & more over exposed until f20 there solid white.

iso set at 200, no contrast brightness adjustments made, white balance set in auto.

now if i take the lens off & manually move the blades with the lil trigger by the mount they open & close but not real smooth, plus they will not spring back.

i'll put rough quick pics up on another post so you can see them change compared to a 35-70 lens.

bought it off ebay & guy is saying it was perfect when he sold it, well my opinion is hogwash.

opinions needed.

maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:07 PM   #13
Administrator

Pete Ganzel has some galleries on repairing some lenses. Here's one for the 35-105mm. Click on any thumbnail to see more detail/instructions.

http://www.pbase.com/pganzel/disasse...xum_35105_zoom

If you're good with small parts, you may be able to take it apart and clean the aperture blades and get it working if they're just oily causing them to stick. I've seen a number of users report doing that with the 50mm f/1.4 and f/1.7 (it's a common problem with them) by following Pete's galleries (he's got them for several lenses).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:12 PM   #14
Administrator

P.S. -- I merged the two threads on this subject so that all replies about it would be in the same thread.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:14 PM   #15

thanks jim, it'l make more sense now lol.
joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:52 PM   #16

well i don't have that much in it but still i could apply that money to another lens.

the story goes he said he used it on a film camera & shot a roll of film with it right before it was sold & didn't have a problem 1. (lens is an AF correct 1 for 7D).

for the benefit of doubt it could be possible that what he shot atwas in the f4-6 range, plus if he used the program mode the camera would have compensated for the over exposure therefore the pics would look ok,

or if he sent the film out they mayby took it upon themselves to process the over exposure a stop or sodarker.

i don't know anything about film so i'm just guessing.

joee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:09 PM   #17
Administrator

He may not have known it had a problem. Negative Film does handle overexposure quite well. Positive Film (transparency/slide) doesn't

If it was being used inside, the camera would have probably been keeping the aperture opened up anyway.

You take your chances with Ebay, unless it's a very reputable vendor with a stated return policy in the listing.

Your best bet if you want to be safer buying used is to go with a vendor that warrants the gear for a limited time. My favorite two are http://www.keh.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Both have a decent return and warranty policy on used gear.

For example, KEH has a 14 day return policy and 60 day warranty (from invoice date) on most used gear:

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aWarrantyPolicy

B&H has a 14 day return policy on most non-digital photo gear with a 90 day warranty:

B&H Warranty on Used Gear

The 35-105mm lenses generally don't bring much (it's not a very popular focal range on a DSLR, since most users want a lens starting out wider than 35mm with digital). I see some starting out at around $29 at KEH.com right now.

Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:34 PM   #18

I'd check your local camera shop for CLA pricing, it's not really that expensive. I had sticking aperture blades on my Minolta 50mm f1.7 and my local minolta dealer CLA'd it for $65 US. Now, on a simple lens like that I could likely buy a replacement for a similar cost but I'm sentimental and I like the images it produces. I doubt that a zoom lens is quite as cheap to fix, but if it's a good lens for you it may be worth fixing.

I've also considered buying a broken lens to see how hard it is to repair- I'm not looking to tear into my good lenses.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:42 PM   #19

joee wrote:
Quote:
well i don't have that much in it but still i could apply that money to another lens.

the story goes he said he used it on a film camera & shot a roll of film with it right before it was sold & didn't have a problem 1. (lens is an AF correct 1 for 7D).

for the benefit of doubt it could be possible that what he shot atwas in the f4-6 range, plus if he used the program mode the camera would have compensated for the over exposure therefore the pics would look ok,

or if he sent the film out they mayby took it upon themselves to process the over exposure a stop or sodarker.

i don't know anything about film so i'm just guessing.
I don't see how Program mode or any other mode would not compensate for bad blades. The settings that the camera chooses are based on metering and available light before you snap the shutter.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:26 PM   #20

the aperature arm may be bent ......if the lens responds properly
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote