Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 5, 2006, 6:40 PM   #1

I fell in love with the Sony booth as i got try on the G and white lenses on my 5D, though they were all named Sony.

The Zeiss lenses are great, and are rather big. The 85mm f1.4 was probably the most popular one, but there were so many lenses and they allowed me to try on any one i wanted.

Neat things I liked about the A100D is Dynamic Range (derived from their digital cameras) when taking shots of light and shadows as with dynamic range it reduced overexposure in the highlights and underexposure in shadows, you could see a difference, but this could be done in Photoshop and with better effectiveness. The system the rep told me is better than Nikons similar system since Nikon compares the photo to the exif photo data of a large number of similar photos and adjusts it to that, and sony doesnt (i found it hard to understand).

No word on any new Sony Camera, i got answers from if i told you I'd have to kill you, and I'm bound by a NDA, but overall i had the impression that a new one is coming out just that if they told me theyd lose their jobs. One note is that they would have to create a totally new CCD since none of their digital cameras have a CCD higher than 10.

Another neat feature I thought was that it uses Memory Sticks, so it would work with a SONY PSP for when i go overseas, load them onto the PSP then erase the memory stick. The PSP can take memory stick and has a mini hard drive unit that plugs into the memory stick drive (both having a max of 4 gigabytes as far as i know). But then i dont think i could leave many photos on it since it only has internal memory (not hard drive) as far as i know
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:29 PM   #2

Finally, a generation of video game photographers! I am sold to Sony now!!! Can't wait to buy the PS3/PSP/Alpha Combo!!!!

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
Another neat feature I thought was that it uses Memory Sticks, so it would work with a SONY PSP for when i go overseas, load them onto the PSP then erase the memory stick. The PSP can take memory stick and has a mini hard drive unit that plugs into the memory stick drive (both having a max of 4 gigabytes as far as i know). But then i dont think i could leave many photos on it since it only has internal memory (not hard drive) as far as i know
maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:51 PM   #3

maxxum7d wrote:
Quote:
Finally, a generation of video game photographers! I am sold to Sony now!!! Can't wait to buy the PS3/PSP/Alpha Combo!!!!

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
Just imagine if Sony can do to the DSLR industry what it has achieved inthe video game industry.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:57 PM   #4
Administrator

I don't play video games, but the PS3 has got my interest up.

It's cell processor design should be incredibly fast compared to a typical PC, and Terra Soft will have a Linux distribution ready to run on it this month.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

So, I'm wondering how practical it would be to use it as a desktop versus a gaming machine. You could probably process image files incredibly fast on it using existing applications that already run on Linux (DigiKam, UFRaw, Cinepaint, Gimp, Krita, etc.).

I'm setup in a triboot configuration right now (running Windows XP Pro, SimplyMEPIS 6.0, and Kanotix 2006-01-RC4), and I'm spending more time in the Linux distros than I am in Windows XP lately.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:40 PM   #5

I used to be a video game programmer, and worked on the prototype for the PS3. Its a pain in the neck to program for and not much different than the non-intel Mac G5s. Infact video game companies who started advanced development for the PS3 were using macs to get their code up and running before they distributed their debug consoles.

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't play video games, but the PS3 has got my interest up.

It's cell processor design should be incredibly fast compared to a typical PC, and Terra Soft will have a Linux distribution ready to run on it this month.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/

So, I'm wondering how practical it would be to use it as a desktop versus a gaming machine. You could probably process image files incredibly fast on it using existing applications that already run on Linux (DigiKam, UFRaw, Cinepaint, Gimp, Krita, etc.).

I'm setup in a triboot configuration right now (running Windows XP Pro, SimplyMEPIS 6.0, and Kanotix 2006-01-RC4), and I'm spending more time in the Linux distros than I am in Windows XP lately.

maxxum7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:00 PM   #6
Administrator

Interesting.. I've never owned a Mac before. My last Apple was a IIe.

I've still got a II+ somewhere (and loads of software for Apple II type products, provided the floppies are still readable after all these years). lol

My wife asked me if I still needed them when we moved to Savannah a couple of years ago, and I told her not to dare throw away any boxes of my old software. You never know. I may get real bored one day and want to try it. lol

I guess it makes sense that the PS3 would be similar to the non-Intel Macs. I'm wondering how fast it would be running a Linux distro, though.

I'm sure there will be loads of reviews out soon from people doing just that. So, time will tell. Perhaps Sony has bigger plans for it than meets the eye.

Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:35 AM   #7

Sony also has a cell phone with the Cybershot moniker on it, with stuff like White Balance, damn i could go on and on.

Also, i realized that the Sony A100 has 40 metering segments whereas the Canon Marks have 35, and entry level cameras generally have in the low 10s. The 5D though has only 11
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:54 AM   #8
Administrator

I think you're trying to confuse metering segments with AF points (and still getting the numbers wrong).

Most manufacturers don't go into a lot of detail on the metering sensors. Some give more than others. For example, the KM 5D and 7D use a 14 Segment Metering System (compared to a 40 Segment metering system in the new Sony). But, they really don't go into much detail on the specifics of how they derive those segments (type of sensors being used).

A model like the Nikon D50 uses a 420 pixel RGB sensor for metering. The D70 uses a 1005 Pixel RGB Sensor for metering.