Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:05 AM   #21
Administrator

garykohs

Welcome to the Forums. I see that you joined last May and just started posting this morning.

Yes, your comparisons with the Beercan are the ones I was referring to.

I did get a chance to use the Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 outside yesterday (just a few shots in my front yard while company was visiting), and loss of contrast from flare did seem a bit worse than desired shooting in bright light. I don't have a beercan to compare it to.

But, for $79.95 (what I paid for mine), I'm not going to complain too much about it. :-)

For 1/10 the cost of a brighter lens with it's focal range, it's a steal at that price (and sharpness seems better than expected at wider apertures, too). I probably wouldn't use this lens much anyway, except in artificial lighting (where it seems to do pretty well).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:06 PM   #22

Thanks.

I don't have your expertise. But I do prefer the beercan in most situations, but the difference is not dramatic. I think that makes the Vivitar a great bargain, especially when you factor in the extra speed.
garykohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:30 PM   #23

garykohs wrote:
Quote:
I'm jealous of that 100-400. I bid on a couple - considerably more than the $60 you paid - lost the auctions and gave up. Maybe I'll try again. I can use the extra reach for baseball shots, although mounting a 2X converter on my Series 1 70-210 works also. I'd like to see some shots from the 100-400 if you get a chance to do that.

I'm the guy who JimC mentioned posted some beercan/Viv 70-210 comparison shots on another forum. Those pics are at http://kleinoak.org/pics/vivitar_vs_...s_beercan2.htm

I'm expecting to get some use out of the Vivitar for basketball pictures also. So far, though, we haven't been in a gym big enough to need that much reach. [I'm loaning my 5D out to parents to shoot and they often want to shoot from the stands.] I have used, instead, my new Vivitar Series I 28-105 f2.8-3.8. It's fast, but otherwise it has been disappointing - not very sharp. I can't tell too much, though, as these basketball parents aren't very good photographers. [I have lots of shots of the rafters!]
Here is a shot I took with the Vivitar 100-400 at the full 400mm focal length at 1/500 f6.3 and -1/3rd EV correction. Not a very exciting subject, but it shows that this lens is a very capable performer.

Attached Images

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:12 PM   #24

I decided to part with my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 2.8-4. I got my hands on a beercan through an ebay auction ($115 with a Maxxum 7000, flash, and 50mm prime lens), kept the beercan and still made a profit.

When my KM5D returned from the repair today (Precision Camera handled the "First Black Shot" issue satisfactorily), I took two quick test shots and it confirmed what has been bugging me about the Vivitar. It is soft and blurry in the wider aperture, unacceptably so.

Here are the comparison shots (and they are no fluke, I have been complaining about the issue before as you see in my earlier posting). It is pretty obvious which is which (both at 210 mm f4)

Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:16 PM   #25

...and the Vivitar
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:19 PM   #26

So how happy are you with the 100-400 Series 1?
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:29 PM   #27

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
So how happy are you with the 100-400 Series 1?
Much happier. It is a GREAT lens. Very crisp. Scroll up a little to the picture of the roof tile. I could not get such a sharp shot with the 70-210.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:21 AM   #28

Here's a few shots I took with my 70-210.

Attached Images

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 11:53 AM   #29

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Here's a few shots I took with my 70-210.

Thanks, to me this looks a little hazy and overexposed, which is the problem I have had with the Vivitar. Pretty sharp though. I have many more misses that hits with the Vivitar. The beercan appears to be right on all the time.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:51 PM   #30
Administrator

Well... I dunno. The Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 is not a bad low light lens from what I've seen (if you can put up with the slow AF that may want to hunt from one end of the lens to the other at times). LOL

One of the photos I took at a Mother's Finest Concert with it got published in Georgia Music Magazine (not an image that I really liked, but the editor wanted to use it). That was the first time I'd used the lens.

I updated this thread with it not long ago (see the photo at the bottom of the thread).

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=58

I've used it from time to time in other types of low light in a pinch. For example, here's one that was taken with the Vivitar at ISO 1600, 210mm, f/4.5, 1/60 second. I think it does pretty well in this type of lighting for a $79 lens (what they were selling for new in the box when I got mine anyway), especially when combined with anti-shake. lol
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote