Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:02 PM   #31
Administrator

And, you've got f/2.8 on the wide end that you can use in a pinch, too (and if you're brave and can catch 'em relatively still, even try the shots at a lower ISO speed). :-)

Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 at 75mm, wide open at f/2.8, ISO 800, 1/40 second
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 1:06 PM   #32
Administrator

Of course, the 100mm f/2 is a bit better for that kind of thing (trying to get away with using ISO 800 and slower shutter speeds with people in low light). LOL

Minolta 100mm f/2, ISO 800, f/2.2, 1/60 second

Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:07 PM   #33

Maybe I had a bad one, but the soft, fuzzy, overexposed,hazy images would not cut itfor me. Jim C seems to get better results than I did with mine. The beercan gets it right all the time,and I don't have to deal with setting the exposure compensation correctly, etc.As far as the loss of the f-stop, I am notthat concerned. I have the KM 28-75 f2.8if I want to take a picture in the 70 mm range in low light. And after that the beercan does a great job at a constant f4 aperture.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 3:58 PM   #34
Administrator

I probably wouldn't try to use it much in harsh sunlight (flare and loss of contrast from flare shooting in bright sun could be a big issue with it). But, in more evenly lit indoor environments, it seems to do a fair job (much better than expected, especially for what it was selling for). :-)

Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:44 PM   #35

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I probably wouldn't try to use it much in harsh sunlight (flare and loss of contrast from flare shooting in bright sun could be a big issue with it). But, in more evenly lit indoor environments, it seems to do a fair job (much better than expected, especially for what it was selling for). :-)
The photos above were shot at 7 pm just before sunset, so no heavy sunlight and glare. In fact, I have gotten much better results in brighter sunlight (=smaller aperture) than in low light conditions. It is in the low light conditions, though, where I need the faster speed of the lens. I am just happy I sold it and the Beer can is all it is hyped up to be. And it's really not much heavier than the Vivitar either.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 9:16 PM   #36

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I had a bad one, but the soft, fuzzy, overexposed,hazy images would not cut itfor me. Jim C seems to get better results than I did with mine. The beercan gets it right all the time,and I don't have to deal with setting the exposure compensation correctly, etc.As far as the loss of the f-stop, I am notthat concerned. I have the KM 28-75 f2.8if I want to take a picture in the 70 mm range in low light. And after that the beercan does a great job at a constant f4 aperture.
Well from what I understand of how the Vivitar lenses are made it could be a matter of one manufacturer vs the other.

I know one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on a 100-400 is it is reportedly not that sharp at 400, one comment was that it was a great 100-300 lense. So again it may depend on the manufacturer.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 11:59 AM   #37

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:
Well from what I understand of how the Vivitar lenses are made it could be a matter of one manufacturer vs the other.

I know one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on a 100-400 is it is reportedly not that sharp at 400, one comment was that it was a great 100-300 lense. So again it may depend on the manufacturer.
The shot I posted from the Viv 100-400 was taken at 400mm. It's pretty darn sharp I find. But I barely use it since my Tamron 28-300 is on the camera most of the time. Maybe I should go to the zoo this weekend or something to test out the Viv a little further. Will post images once I got them.
Old Mar 23, 2007, 5:01 PM   #38

I just purchased a Series I 100-400 APO, white version, on E-bay. So I'm hoping for good things.

I still like my 70-210 Vivitar, but slightly prefer my beercan. I agree that the Viv is soft wide open. But sometimes that 2.8 ability is very handy.
garykohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:10 AM   #39

garykohs wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a Series I 100-400 APO, white version, on E-bay. So I'm hoping for good things.

I still like my 70-210 Vivitar, but slightly prefer my beercan. I agree that the Viv is soft wide open. But sometimes that 2.8 ability is very handy.
I dunno what it was. I am looking at some of the older test shots I took with the Viv 70-210 and they are very sharp. Maybe it was a focusing problem. Not sure, but I get consistently good results with the beercan.

The ebay sale ended up being a disaster. The buyer claimed he received the lens broken and returned it for a refund. It came back with loose lens elements inside although I had packaged very securely in bubble wrap. But I gave him the benefit of doubt. I tried to then get in there and see if I could pop the lose element back in, but when I opened the screws, springs and rings popped out and I am not even going to dare putting it back together. Now I got a broken Viv 70-210. Maybe I'll have my local camera store take a look at it this weekend. I am thinking maybe the lens element had already gotten lose beforehandand that's what caused theoff focus and soft pictures...

You will love the Viv 100-400, Gary. How much did you get it for?

Rainer
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:14 AM   #40

178 from JD Katz

I was watching that one.

Any one know the difference between the White and silver one?

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote