Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 24, 2007, 12:49 PM   #41
Administrator

rduve wrote:
Quote:
I dunno what it was. I am looking at some of the older test shots I took with the Viv 70-210 and they are very sharp.

[snip]

Now I got a broken Viv 70-210. Maybe I'll have my local camera store take a look at it this weekend. I am thinking maybe the lens element had already gotten lose beforehandand that's what caused theoff focus and soft pictures...
I remember seeing a thread from someone else on another forum a while back about problems with their Vivitar. They ended up sending back to Vivitar, and Vivitar claimed the warranty was only for film cameras (or something to that effect), and an argument pursued. I don't recall the outcome. But, I've got my warranty paperwork if it ever breaks and I'll fight that battle if I ever get to it. I doubt I will though (mine seems to work OK, I don't plan on dropping it, and I doubt it will get used very often).

It's a cheap lens. So, build quality is going to leave something to be desired in some cases. You may have gotten one built on Friday by the "new guy" or something. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 9:03 PM   #42

I got the white one. I don't know if there is a difference. The white one is great.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 7:24 AM   #43

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I remember seeing a thread from someone else on another forum a while back about problems with their Vivitar. They ended up sending back to Vivitar, and Vivitar claimed the warranty was only for film cameras (or something to that effect), and an argument pursued. I don't recall the outcome. But, I've got my warranty paperwork if it ever breaks and I'll fight that battle if I ever get to it. I doubt I will though (mine seems to work OK, I don't plan on dropping it, and I doubt it will get used very often).

It's a cheap lens. So, build quality is going to leave something to be desired in some cases. You may have gotten one built on Friday by the "new guy" or something. :-)

That was digitalshooter at DPR. I think he finally got a refund from Cameta, and I believe he also got his shipping reimbursed through Vivitar. I saw the email from vivitar stating that the lens was only for film cameras.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 1:55 PM   #44

rduve wrote:
Quote:
garykohs wrote:
Quote:
I just purchased a Series I 100-400 APO, white version, on E-bay. So I'm hoping for good things.

I still like my 70-210 Vivitar, but slightly prefer my beercan. I agree that the Viv is soft wide open. But sometimes that 2.8 ability is very handy.
I dunno what it was. I am looking at some of the older test shots I took with the Viv 70-210 and they are very sharp. Maybe it was a focusing problem. Not sure, but I get consistently good results with the beercan.

The ebay sale ended up being a disaster. The buyer claimed he received the lens broken and returned it for a refund. It came back with loose lens elements inside although I had packaged very securely in bubble wrap. But I gave him the benefit of doubt. I tried to then get in there and see if I could pop the lose element back in, but when I opened the screws, springs and rings popped out and I am not even going to dare putting it back together. Now I got a broken Viv 70-210. Maybe I'll have my local camera store take a look at it this weekend. I am thinking maybe the lens element had already gotten lose beforehandand that's what caused theoff focus and soft pictures...

You will love the Viv 100-400, Gary. How much did you get it for?

Rainer
Did you not ship itinsuranced???? Regardless of how you packed it, a good drop during shipping could have done that. I always insure stuff I sell on Ebay. Sometimes I include it in the costand when I don't, if the buyer doesn't want to pay for insurance, then it's on him if it arrived damaged. He also could have dropped the lens aftertaking out of the box.Most lenses will survive a drop, but you never know. It was nice of you toabsorb the problem so I take back all those bad things I said about you.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:45 PM   #45

Gozinta, I must have missed all those bad things you said about me. At this point in my life I have turned deaf to all of it. :G

As far as Insurance is concerned, I never ever had anything break in 5 years of ebay transactions with over 500 positive ratings as seller and buyer. Especially by using the USPS with its high insurance rates I would have paid a LOT more than the $75 I lost on this deal. But it sure taught me a lesson for the future. I will most definitely use insurance, particularly on higher priced items.

I am getting the lens repaired, and I will test it out afterwards. Maybe I will keep it after all and all this was meant to happen. The kharma thing you know...

Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:10 AM   #46

rduve wrote:
Quote:
Gozinta, I must have missed all those bad things you said about me. At this point in my life I have turned deaf to all of it. :G

As far as Insurance is concerned, I never ever had anything break in 5 years of ebay transactions with over 500 positive ratings as seller and buyer. Especially by using the USPS with its high insurance rates I would have paid a LOT more than the $75 I lost on this deal. But it sure taught me a lesson for the future. I will most definitely use insurance, particularly on higher priced items.

I am getting the lens repaired, and I will test it out afterwards. Maybe I will keep it after all and all this was meant to happen. The kharma thing you know...

The first $100 dollars is no extra charge with UPS if that is who you are using for shipping.

Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:07 PM   #47

rduve wrote
Quote:
You will love the Viv 100-400, Gary. How much did you get it for?

Rainer
You were definitely right. I love it! And yes, $178 from JD Katz - great seller!

I got it Friday and shot a baseball game with it Friday night. It's simply the best long zoom lens I've used! It focuses fast! Great color, sharpness, bokeh. I'm very impressed!

And the reach is fantastic. I shot our right-fielder from home plate:

garykohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 1:29 PM   #48

Great shots. Makes me want to take out mine some more. I have barely used the Viv 100-400. I am glad I was able to help and that you love it, Gary.

Rainer
Old Mar 31, 2007, 5:02 PM   #49

Gary, you inspired me to pull out my Viv 100-400 and here is a shot at 400mm. Nice indeed.

Rainer
Attached Images

Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:07 PM   #50

Good pics for comparsion.. imo I see more purple fringing on the beer can than the vivitar.
zoomdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote