Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:30 PM   #11

That's the Sigma I had and sold. Overall, pretty good...a little fuzzy wide open but more than acceptable in bright outdoor lighting, but like I said, long and bulky.

If you're doing sports only and don't need anything wide, it'll do the trick. I used it recently on a trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom. I didn't want to bring my whole bag (big mistake) so I decided on the Sigma 70-300mm as my "walk-around" lens since it was a zoo-like setting. Very bulky, and quite cumbersome, but some really great shots of the animals. But I didn't get very many Kodak moments of my 4 kids because I'd have to back up about 50 ft with the lens at 70mm, making it awful hard to stop traffic and get the shot.

BTW, Keh.com has that lens "LN-" (like new minus, 97-99% of original condition) for only $62.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:13 PM   #12

Here is a shot of my son, running, taken with the Tamron 28-300 at full zoom in Sports Mode, 1/500 sec, f6.3, ISO 250.

rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:56 PM   #13

Great shot!

This is exactly why I went with a DSLR instead of a digicam. You just can't get those shots without a burst mode. My KM 5D is way more than adequate at 3 fps, but for kicks I was playing with a Canon 30D in burst mode at Circuit City and it just kept on going and going and going. Very cool.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:08 PM   #14
Administrator

kuulaaid wrote:
Quote:
You guys ROCK!!! Thanks for all the help and info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

What do you think about this one? It's f/5.6 at 300mm. Anyone tried it?
The APO version of the Sigma 70-300mm (it will have APO in it's product description) is considered to be better lens. It's a bit more (around $200 or so at most vendors). There's a newer DG version of it, too. Most vendors are out of stock still though. Here's a listing to keep an eye on.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Lens at B&H for $219

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:10 PM   #15

rduve wrote:
Quote:
kuulaaid wrote:
Quote:
You guys ROCK!!! Thanks for all the help and info.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...;rd=1&rd=1

What do you think about this one? It's f/5.6 at 300mm. Anyone tried it?
I am sure this is a good lens. I had an older version of this once. However, the difference between f5.6 and f6.3 is minimal, just about a 1/4 f-stop, so one might as well get the Tamron 28-300 for the same price and keep it on most of the time. Any lens that's siginificantly faster at 300mm will also be significantly more expensive and heavier.I am still keeping my eyes open for one, but have not really found the perfect solution.The KM5D takes great shots even at ISO 1600, so one can use quite a fast shutter speed even at f6.3 in anything but very low light.

That new Tamron 18-250that cope mentioned looks interesting. I wonderhow fast it will be.

Rainer
I agree, I'd give up F5.6 and go with the 28-300MM Tamron as a walk around. 70mm as a starting point for walk-around is way too big for my taste. I could tolerate it on an SLR but with a 1.5 crop factor I would have to pair it withthe 28-75mm 2.8 KM or the 24-85 Minolta. Not that carrying pairs is out of the question, but when I hit theme parks, zoos, etc. I want one lens and if anything I prefer to give up range for landscape. That's why I have my eyes on the 18-250mm. If the results are similiar to the 28-300mm that is going to be one hell of a walk-around lens.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:07 AM   #16

rduve wrote:
Quote:
That new Tamron 18-250that cope mentioned looks interesting. I wonderhow fast it will be.

Rainer
Rainer, it is listed at 3.5-6.3, same as the 28-300. Here's the link to theannouncement. Amazon is taking advance orders.

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/31...red-glass.html
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:02 AM   #17

cope wrote:
Quote:
rduve wrote:
Quote:

Rainer
Rainer, it is listed at 3.5-6.3, same as the 28-300. Here's the link to theannouncement. Amazon is taking advance orders.

http://www.popphoto.com/photonews/31...red-glass.html
Are you on the list?
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote