Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:14 AM   #11

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
yo meanstreak!

gadzooks man! how much does that new lens of yours weigh? looks like a nice lens, that zoom range looks pretty tasty - and the f/2.8 throughout is pretty cool. i bet finding a filter for that bazzooka will set you back a bunch though! congrats on your new purchase, and have fun with it!

we wanna see some sample photos!!

~aloha~
67mm filters are kind of expensive but not as bad as 72mm. There also asupposedly reputable supply of Hoya filters on EBay for pretty cheap. I only buy UV filters for protection and as of late I have given up buying one for each lens. In fact, I am also shooting without filters. Based on what I read lately, there seem to be conflicting opinions regarding the use of filters. I am generally good with my equipment and not too concerned about damaging the glass but sometimes UV can be a problem.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:12 PM   #12
Administrator

It could be worse... The Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 uses 82mm filters (it's larger and heavier compared to the 35-105mm f/2.8 ). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:20 AM   #13

When I first received the lens I thought its focus capability in low light was better than good. Tonight I took pictures in my living room with barely no light. I had some ambient light from my kitchen and light from a ceiling fixture at the far end of the room. I set the camera on a tripod and used the remote so as to eliminate any chance of shake. Obviously this was a situation AS would have trouble with. Though I could have gone higher I set the ISO at 100 just because I have never used my DSLRs on a tripod except for moonshots and I felt like experimenting. I absolutely cannot believe how well this lens focuses in dim lighting. I'm not saying it's better than my brighter lenses but I don't recall being as impressed with anything else responding as well in such extreme conditions. I will have to run some tests against the 50mm F1.7, 28-75mm F2.8, 90 F2.8 and my 20-40mm F2.7-3.5

Here is an ISO 100 at 1/2 sec

Here is another... notice you can read the card. The original image is actually better than this Photobucket version.

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:28 AM   #14

ISO 400 extremly lowlight shots. Bear in mind that I'm not saying these are terrific shots. I'm just impressed that I could get a focus lock in some cases.