Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1

Jim,

Just got the 35-105mm. I love the build andhow it focuses in low light. One thing I will have to get used to is the zoom creep (more like slap) that occurs if I point it straight down or straight up. I will have to get used to holding the zoom grip. No biggie, but It is the only lens I own that does that.

I also read a review somewhere that a user recommends setting the focus to manual to prevent accidently turning when grabbing the camera buy the lens. Not sure I see a real need to do this but I could see how someone could accidently grap the focus ring, but I'mn sure that is not unique to just this lens.

I haven't gotten a chance to take any serious shots but I like what I see. I am very comfortable with any lens that runs 2.8 all the way. I wish the 28-75 KM was longer so I wouldn't have bought the 35-105mm..... but for 123 dollars I won't complain.

I will post some pictures as soon as I can
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:12 PM   #2

Jim,

One thing I didn't get with the lens was a hood. When you get a chance take a look at yourlens hood if you have one and tell if the part number is A3FH.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:16 AM   #3
Administrator

I don't have a Tamron hood for mine. I think Kalypso has one with his.

If you can't locate one, get an aftermarket hood. You can find them for practically nothing in a variety of sizes and styles (metal, petal style, rubber).

The problem with these is that you can't get the lens cap on and off easily using one. lol So, if you can find a factory hood, it may (or may not) work better.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:38 AM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't have a Tamron hood for mine. I think Kalypso has one with his.

If you can't locate one, get an aftermarket hood. You can find them for practically nothing in a variety of sizes and styles (metal, petal style, rubber).

The problem with these is that you can't get the lens cap on and off easily using one. lol So, if you can find a factory hood, it may (or may not) work better.
I am hesitant to add a petal style since it would rotate. Not sure it would make a lot of difference if the petals are not properly aligned. I have located what I believe to be a factory one but before I go through the expense of have it shipped I wanted to confirm it was correct. Perhaps a rubber round one would be OK.

Funny, but when I used to shoot film, I don't recall hoods being sold with lenses and I never remember anyone telling me I needed one.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:41 AM   #5
Administrator

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...735&is=REG

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:58 AM   #6

My part # is A3 FH, but it's only about 3/4 inch thick.....I'd get the rubber screw on (I have one on my Beercan & it works great...I just roll it back over the lens when I have the cap on)! You can get the Kalts locally at a Wolfe store (RitzCamera ownes them).
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:00 AM   #7

yo meanstreak!

gadzooks man! how much does that new lens of yours weigh? looks like a nice lens, that zoom range looks pretty tasty - and the f/2.8 throughout is pretty cool. i bet finding a filter for that bazzooka will set you back a bunch though! congrats on your new purchase, and have fun with it!

we wanna see some sample photos!!

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:08 AM   #8

JimC wrote: Look like that will work as good as the original.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:09 AM   #9

Kalypso wrote:
Quote:
My part # is A3 FH, but it's only about 3/4 inch thick.....I'd get the rubber screw on (I have one on my Beercan & it works great...I just roll it back over the lens when I have the cap on)! You can get the Kalts locally at a Wolfe store (RitzCamera ownes them).
I only have Ritz near where I live but I am work in NYC where there are plenty of camera shops that are bound to have those hoods.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:14 AM   #10

Hawaii Built wrote:
Quote:
yo meanstreak!

gadzooks man! how much does that new lens of yours weigh? looks like a nice lens, that zoom range looks pretty tasty - and the f/2.8 throughout is pretty cool. i bet finding a filter for that bazzooka will set you back a bunch though! congrats on your new purchase, and have fun with it!

we wanna see some sample photos!!

~aloha~
It's a clunker, but I use it almost exclusvily for portrait work. Here's some samples: