Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1

I have the chance to purchase the Sony DSLR A100K for just under $800 or if I want, can purchase the A100H with the 18-200 lens for just under$1,000 (by far the best price I can get on it). Both of these prices are from ABT Electronics. I am a good customer and live in the area. If you call them, just ask them for their absolute best prices for these cameras and tell them that you've seen them on-line for these prices. They'll also sell a 4 year warranty for an additional $89on the kits. I've already picked up a Minolta 75-300 D lens new from Circuit City for $59 but will return it if I go with the 18-200 kit.

Does anyone have much experience with the 18-200 lens regarding focusing speed, sharpness, etc.? Do you think it is better or worse than the 18-70 within the 18-70 range itself?

I'm tempted for the additional $200 to go for the H kit since the cheapest the Sony lens can be found for is around $430. I've seen the Minolta version of the 18-70 for around $89 on-line. I'm undecided because of the excellent reviews that the 18-70 and 75-300 lenses got in Pop Photo mag. The thought of one single lens that isn't too big and has internal focusing is appealing, but not if the quality suffers.
cpatrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:46 PM   #2

With the deal you are offered, I would go with the 18-200. The kit lens is much better than it's supposed to be, but that is too good a deal to pass up.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:21 PM   #3

cope wrote:
Quote:
With the deal you are offered, I would go with the 18-200. The kit lens is much better than it's supposed to be, but that is too good a deal to pass up.
I have three kit lenses and don't use any of them, but that's mostly because I have better options. Ijusthave to use two lenses to cover that range or settle for 28-75mm. The kit lens that I tried had too much distortion at the wide end around the edges. I havn't tried the other two to see if they are any better.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:24 PM   #4

cpatrader wrote:
Quote:
I have the chance to purchase the Sony DSLR A100K for just under $800 or if I want, can purchase the A100H with the 18-200 lens for just under$1,000 (by far the best price I can get on it). Both of these prices are from ABT Electronics. I am a good customer and live in the area. If you call them, just ask them for their absolute best prices for these cameras and tell them that you've seen them on-line for these prices. They'll also sell a 4 year warranty for an additional $89on the kits. I've already picked up a Minolta 75-300 D lens new from Circuit City for $59 but will return it if I go with the 18-200 kit.

Does anyone have much experience with the 18-200 lens regarding focusing speed, sharpness, etc.? Do you think it is better or worse than the 18-70 within the 18-70 range itself?

I'm tempted for the additional $200 to go for the H kit since the cheapest the Sony lens can be found for is around $430. I've seen the Minolta version of the 18-70 for around $89 on-line. I'm undecided because of the excellent reviews that the 18-70 and 75-300 lenses got in Pop Photo mag. The thought of one single lens that isn't too big and has internal focusing is appealing, but not if the quality suffers.
For 200 dollars more I would go with the 18-200mm.I've seen kit lenses brand new on Amazon for less than 70 dollars. You could even flip the 18-200 for a profit if it turned out it wasn't your style.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote