Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1

:|

I have been scouring these forums to decide what flash to get.

My top of the list is SIGMA 500 DG Super (with super long name), but keep reading about cosistent underexposure. It has tons of feature set at reasonable price. Metz 54 MZ-4 (whatever happened to simplicity in naming products

Super expensive, super loaded but has most features. Hard to find but seems the best bet.

And finally Minolta 5600HS/Sony 56. Getting Minolta flash is like winning lottery and Sony support is questionabe.

(hate to put SONY flash on Minolta)

Please Guide me ....
VPiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:55 PM   #2

VPiv wrote:
Quote:
:|

I have been scouring these forums to decide what flash to get.

My top of the list is SIGMA 500 DG Super (with super long name), but keep reading about cosistent underexposure. It has tons of feature set at reasonable price. Metz 54 MZ-4 (whatever happened to simplicity in naming products

Super expensive, super loaded but has most features. Hard to find but seems the best bet.

And finally Minolta 5600HS/Sony 56. Getting Minolta flash is like winning lottery and Sony support is questionabe.

(hate to put SONY flash on Minolta)

Please Guide me ....
Why would you hate to put a Sony flash on a Minolta? It is the same as the 5600 and for less money than the current highway robbery price of a 5600 on EBay.

I have the 5600 and it works great. I lucked out a few months back when B&H had gotten some in for 299. I bought two and sold one for a profit.I kind of wish I hadkept it. At the timeI couldhave bought8 units that were in stock. Could have made a killing on them
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 6:21 AM   #3

I bought a new 5600 in March, and an EX used one a month ago from KEH. If I had a cahnce to get a Sony 56 for a good price, I would do it for the warranty coverage. Chances are very good that my next DSLR is a Sony, so I don't care whose name is on the flash.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:48 PM   #4

So the recommendation is 5600/56.

I have read of underexposure issues with 5600 too. Technically speaking, 5600 and SONY56 are identical, does SONY supports the use of 56 on Minoltas for warrantry purposes ?

And for $50 or so more, is Metz a worthwhile buy ?

And are there still problems with latest releases from SIGMA DG Super (my current inclination ).
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:56 PM   #5

I have very recent experience of the 500 Super - bought 2 this month.

When I got them they under exposed on camera and over exposed wireless by 2 stops each way so just in my 7Ds compensation range. The supplier exchanged thembut there was thesame problem. As I got them at an Amazon give away price (now corrected) Ikept going.

Sigma UK were really helpful and sorted out the oncamera exposure but as we got to the wireless side the 7D lockedup.It's working perfectly again after removing the battery forsome hours with perfect on camera still but even worse wireless so its beyond the compensation range. Sigma and I are corresponding and they think they need help from Japan.

I am optimistic but it I could not travel to Sigma easily I would be rather concerned.
cclondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:08 PM   #6

Thanks CCLondon,

Sounds like you got the flashes for axactly for what these are worthÂ* :idea:

It apears that all aftermarkets are still synched/metered for non-digital (classic 35mm) cameras.

Sigma apears to be a great buy if they fix the exposure/metering issues.