Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:58 PM   #1

I have a 5D that I would like to use for flower photography and I would like a GOOD macro lens; doesn't necessarily need to be a zoom. Does anybody have a recommendation?
sexauerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:42 PM   #2
Administrator

If budget wasn't a concern and I wanted a high quality dedicated Macro Lens, I'd probably go with a Minolta 100mm f/2.8 Macro

Another popular choice is the Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

There are less expensive choices around, too (50mm Macro lenses, inexpensive Vivitar/Cosina/Phoenix 100mm Macro, etc.). B&H has the Phoenix 100mm Macro for $139 new (or around $79 used). But, it's not in the same class of lens as the Minolta or Tamron lenses I mentioned.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 8:42 PM   #3

If those good lenses are out of your price range, the old Sigma 50mm 2.8 is a good macro lens, as is the minolta 50mm 2.8.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:34 AM   #4

I personally LOVE the Minolta 100 2.8. Pricey,yes, but the quality of this lens is outstanding. Actually is one of Minolta's best IMHO. I have also used the minolta 50MM macro. If budget is an issue, this lens could be considered.

The 100mm can also be used for portraits if you need some justification. And if you buy this lens you would not be sorry. Awesome optic.

sonolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:19 AM   #5

I have several lenses that have macro capability. What I'm not clear is which focal length is best or how does focal length come into play or affect macro shots.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 2:35 PM   #6
Administrator

Focal Length comes into play from a working distance perfective for smaller subjects.

You may not want to get as close for a variety of reasons including lighting (not wanting to cast shadows), spooking subjects, easier composition, perspective (more compressed background by shooting from futher away using a longer focal length), different bokeh from a longer lens and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote