Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:10 PM   #1

I have recently acquired a DSLR-A100, 5600HS and a 3600HS and am still learning how to use this equipment. I have rum into a couple of issues and maybe somebody here can answer these questions.

1. The 5600HS can act as a wireless flash controller. However, if I select this mode on the flash the camera overrides it and sets it back to wireless slave mode.[/*]
  2. The 5600HS supports 4 wireless channels an the 3600HS has 2 wireless channels. The camera user manual says refer to the flash manual to set the wireless channel. The 5600HS user manual says refer to the camera manual to set the wireless channel so I'm not getting very far with this one!
[/*]

Using the camera's flip up flash in wireless mode works fine but I was trying to avoid the extra light provided by the flip up flash. This can be significant when taking close-ups with wider apertures.

I appreciate any advice you folks may able to offer.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 8:19 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome to the forums. I don't know the answers to your questions. But, we have some members here with these strobes. So, hopefully they'll see this thread and can help you out.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:54 PM   #3

Set the channel from the LCD on the 5600. I do not believe you can use the 5600 as an on camera master for wireless with the 5D/7D/A-100, at least I couldn't make it work.

I might add that the 3600/5600 manuals were written before the advent of the 5D/7D, so everything you read is meant to apply to film SLR bodies.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:36 PM   #4

Agree with Cope - sure I've read that the onboard flash is the only way to control any 5600/3600 combos wireless, but

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Using the camera's flip up flash in wireless mode works fine but I was trying to avoid the extra light provided by the flip up flash. This can be significant when taking close-ups with wider apertures.
Think I remember a tip from Gary Friedmans book that you can cover the onboard flash with eg a piece of of overexposed and developed film to act as an Infra-Red filter - then, the off-camera flash[es] will still be able to see the control signals, but the light doesn't appear in the image because of the sensors Infrared filter...

IDM
IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 1:10 PM   #5

I have a 5D and the 3600 flash. I was under the impression that either could be used on-board to trigger multiple flashes. I only have one so I haven't tried it. I did run into the same thing you did with the light off the flip-up. I simply put my hand over the flash to block the light and it still "saw" the 3600. In fact, it doesnt seem to have to be in direct line-of-sight. I've triggered it around a corner.

An excellent resource is Gary L. Friedman's book on the 5D/7D (I believe he has a Sony A100 version out now). Chapter 7 is dedicated to wireless flash and he shows how to do some really cool stuff with multiple flashes. Check out FriedmanArchives.com for more. Good luck!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 9:31 PM   #6

Okay. Thank you everybody for the help. I'm now able to set the wireless channel on the 5600HS. I had missed the "press and hold" on the select button to get to the channel selection. I''ll try covering the flip-up flash the next time Ishoot some close ups.

Thanks again.

FrankD.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:12 AM   #7

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Okay. Thank you everybody for the help. I'm now able to set the wireless channel on the 5600HS. I had missed the "press and hold" on the select button to get to the channel selection. I''ll try covering the flip-up flash the next time Ishoot some close ups.

Thanks again.

FrankD.
Frank, if you can find a Fuji 35mm film canister, cut a section out of the body the size of the flash headand super glue the lid on. This will make a good slip on diffuser.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote