Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:36 AM   #1

My camera package came with a Kingston 1GB card. It seemed fine, but I didn't have anything to compare it to until I recently got a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB. What a difference!! With the Kingston I could only get about 5-6 frames in sports mode before the camera would bog down. With the Sandisk, it doesn't slow down at all!! As long as I'm holding the shutter release, it just keeps firing at full speed.

But full speed only seems to be 2.6 frames per second. (which is more than adequate for me, but the specs say the 5D fires at 3fps) I even took the Cf card out and set the camera to the fastest shutter speed and aperature, smallest size and lowest resolution...still only 2.6 fps.

I'm thrilled with the performance of the Sandisk, just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with fps speed.

DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:17 PM   #2

I've seen similar results with my 7d, though I haven't broken down the FPS into .1 second detail. The Extreme III has a fast write time compared to other media speeds (I only buy Sandisk). I've never filled the buffer in real use,which takes about 30 shots in Jpeg mode and about a dozen in Raw+ mode. The slowdown is barely noticable, I would probably miss it if the buffer count wasn't 0.

Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 5:18 AM   #3

I have a Sandisk EXtreme III 2G in my 5D, i don't know if other people have the same results but my Ultra II 2G seems to be faster. though theoretically the Extreme III should be faster.

Anyone has the same reults as mine?
Gobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:22 AM   #4

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
I've seen similar results with my 7d, though I haven't broken down the FPS into .1 second detail. The Extreme III has a fast write time compared to other media speeds (I only buy Sandisk). I've never filled the buffer in real use,which takes about 30 shots in Jpeg mode and about a dozen in Raw+ mode. The slowdown is barely noticable, I would probably miss it if the buffer count wasn't 0.

Odd... I get 9 shots on my 7D in Raw + JPG more before it bogs down and has to write to the card.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:26 AM   #5

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
My camera package came with a Kingston 1GB card. It seemed fine, but I didn't have anything to compare it to until I recently got a Sandisk Extreme III 2GB. What a difference!! With the Kingston I could only get about 5-6 frames in sports mode before the camera would bog down. With the Sandisk, it doesn't slow down at all!! As long as I'm holding the shutter release, it just keeps firing at full speed.

But full speed only seems to be 2.6 frames per second. (which is more than adequate for me, but the specs say the 5D fires at 3fps) I even took the Cf card out and set the camera to the fastest shutter speed and aperature, smallest size and lowest resolution...still only 2.6 fps.

I'm thrilled with the performance of the Sandisk, just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with fps speed.

I have the same card and it bogs down after 3 shots in raw mode + JPG. I don't recall how many shots I can get in JPG only with lower resolutions but I don't think it will keep firing at full speed indefinitely.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:09 PM   #6

Probably because you're in RAW+JPEG. And I'm not sure mine will actually fire indefinitely, but 26 frames in 10 seconds is more than Ill ever need. I never went any longer, but during that time the buffer indicator never went below 1. I was just amazed that the Sandisk made that much of a difference, and a little confused at the spec of 3 FPS.

Besides, any more FPS should be considered video!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 6:18 PM   #7

Sorry Gozinta, I should have been more clear in my post. The slowdown is barely noticeable in Jpeg mode but is substantial in Raw+ Jpeg mode though I fired off about a dozen ( I think it was 11 twice and 10 once while testing) shots before the write speed caught up with me. The exact number may vary depending on composition, I'm not sure about that and I rarely fire off more than 3 in continuous advance mode.

The new firmware made a pretty big difference on the 7d write speed, too bad we won't likely see another.
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:29 AM   #8

I too have a SanDisk Extreme III 2Gb in my 5D and I love it!! I have used it at football (soccer) matches and MotoGp and World Superbike races and it's been brilliant.

I can fire off a high number of initialshots while panning. It seems to take about about 3fps for around a dozen pics then it seems to slow down (buffer full I guess) and takes about 2fps until the card is full!

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 5:49 AM   #9

Your post got me thinking. I've got two "fast" CF cards: a SanDisk Ultra II 1GB and a Lexar Platinum II 2GB. I tried them both in two senarios: 1. 1504x1000, Standard, NR off, and 2. 3008x2000, RAW & JPEG, NR on. (In both senarios, the subject matter was the same)

The best the Lexar did at low res was about 2 fps, but the SanDisk consistantly did 3 fps. (Never filled the buffer, thus no lag.)At hi res, the Lexar and the SanDisk did about the same, 1-2 spf (seconds per frame), though the SanDisk was slightly faster. (With either card the buffer filled after 3 shots at 2fps, thenceforth 1-2 spf.)

I don't think the difference in capacities (1G for the SanDisk vs. 2G for the Lexar) would have contributed to the difference.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:17 PM   #10

mine is just like the test for the 5d here, 7 shots, then a slight slowdown but it keeps going. using sandisk x3. j
jellero is offline   Reply With Quote