Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:15 PM   #21
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'll let you guys know if this fixes it again (as I suspect it will) or not. I'll try to get around to cleaning it again within the next few days.
I had forgotten about updating this thread until I saw some recent posts on the subject and found this one via a search. I got around to cleaning it (months ago), and I haven't seen this issue again since, even after letting my camera sit for days at a time between using it.

So, I still think the issue is being blown out of proportion (see my earlier posts in this thread). Although I have some posts from users that said theirs got worse, even after cleaning contacts.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:33 PM   #22

JimC wrote:
Quote:
JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'll let you guys know if this fixes it again (as I suspect it will) or not. I'll try to get around to cleaning it again within the next few days.
I had forgotten about updating this thread until I saw some recent posts on the subject and found this one via a search. I got around to cleaning it (months ago), and I haven't seen this issue again since, even after letting my camera sit for days at a time between using it.

So, I still think the issue is being blown out of proportion (see my earlier posts in this thread). Although I have some posts from users that said theirs got worse, even after cleaning contacts.

You don't seem to have had the same issue, Jim, so far at least. When my camera went bad, the first shot blacked out and the camera shut down every single time if it had been sitting for even just one day. So, when you got that happen, you better get it fixed since Sony recognized that there was faulty item in the cameras, and they have basically recalled them. So, I would disagree with it being "blown out of proportion".

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:45 PM   #23
Administrator

Well, I don't doubt that some people have a problem with it.

The reason I updated this thread was because of one of our members (dafiryde) made a post about it in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

The problem only happened over 1 weekend in April and hasn't been seen since. Yet, they're thinking about replacing it now.

I see this kind of thing often in the forums around, and I don't think it's cause for panic. From my experience, an issue with something as simple as dirty contacts can cause it, too. I've also seen more than one user report that it reoccured *after* being fixed. So, I think there is more to it than meets the eye for a cause.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:14 PM   #24

strange enough my encounter was in late april

on checking back my pics it had a 21 days difference between elton john concert and the next time i used the camera which was for an air supply concert. which means i did not use my camera for 21 days

and the problem only occured twice that weekend

if this turns up again is there a home remidy with crc or wd40 spray

just kidding

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:27 PM   #25

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I see this kind of thing often in the forums around, and I don't think it's cause for panic. From my experience, an issue with something as simple as dirty contacts can cause it, too. I've also seen more than one user report that it reoccured *after* being fixed. So, I think there is more to it than meets the eye for a cause.

I don't think it's cause for panic either but the reason I am getting mine fixed is because I plan on selling a couple of my bodies and don't want to leave the buyer stuck with a potentially defective camera and I'm not sure if they will honor the free repair for a second owner. Also one of the bodies I have has experianced the FSB problem and the less common Antishake problem.I figure while it is there for the A.S. repair, they may as well relpace the shutter.

The only ones I've spotted in the forums as reoccuring after repair were those fixed before they acknowledged the problem and came out with a new replacement shutter. Many of the repairs prior used either the same problematic shutter or the wrong repair solution was used. I'm not saying that none of the newer repairs have not had a reoccurance... I just haven't noticed any.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 1:20 PM   #26

I would send it in and get it fixed as long as they still honor it. It seems like all the earlier 5D's and 7D's have that defective part and I'd get it replaced before the problem gets worse.

Rainer
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:30 AM   #27

[align=left]rduve wrote: [/align]
Quote:
I would send it in and get it fixed as long as they still honor it. It seems like all the earlier 5D's and 7D's have that defective part and I'd get it replaced before the problem gets worse.

Rainer

Hi Rainer, how are you doing thesethese days? how is you camera doing thesethese days? Taking many pictures?

[align=center][/align]

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:30 PM   #28

on saturday i decided to take out tha battery and clean the contacts also cleaned the lens contacts one time

set camera on low resolution and continous shutter and was about to fill up a card when all i heard was a beep and low and behold err in the viewfinder

this morning sony replied to my e mail and gave me a phone # to call them, they put me on to precision camera, so i guess i will send it up to have this repair done
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote