Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:37 PM   #1

I just havethe new KM5D for almost 2 weeks and the new Minolta 50mm f1.7 len last week. When I used this len to take some pictures with auto focus,but some of the pictures are out of focus, about 20% of the total pictures. Anyone has the same experience and knows how to fix the problem?
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:44 PM   #2

How did you focus? (spot or let the camera decide which sensor to use)

What f-stop were you at?

Can you post one of the pics with the exif data? That might help too?
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 2:08 PM   #3

I remember that I setto f1.7, f2.8 and f5.6, AF-S, Spot. I have deleted all the problem pictures, but will post some today or tomorrow.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:25 PM   #4

Normally the 50mm is one of the finest and quickest to focus. I'd suspect operator error ( meaning myself) if you know that the aperture is functioning properly. There are instances where even a bright lens and a fast ISO aren't adequate for ambient light, were you pushing the boundaries? Flash malfunction a possibility?
Mercury694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:48 PM   #5

Maybe depth of field was too shallow? Wide open, that lens will have a very shallow area that's tack sharp. Eyes will be sharp, but the nose or ears will start to blur, etc...

Was the ENTIRE frame out of focus, or just portions?

Try different aperatures again and see if it's worse all the way open at f1.7.
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:12 PM   #6

I have a 5D and an 50 1.7 lens and the focus is fast and accurate. Do you have another lens? Do you have this problem with any other lenses that you have? I would think if the lens had a problem it would be more consistant. If you have only had the 5D for 2 weekscould it be operator error? Maybe you could post some samples and settings.
MaxImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 4:48 AM   #7

Thanks everyone to post the solutions, I will take more time to try in this weekend and will post the results. Thanks all again.
Old Nov 28, 2006, 7:48 AM   #8

Mercury694 wrote:
Quote:
Normally the 50mm is one of the finest and quickest to focus. I'd suspect operator error ( meaning myself) if you know that the aperture is functioning properly. There are instances where even a bright lens and a fast ISO aren't adequate for ambient light, were you pushing the boundaries? Flash malfunction a possibility?
Based on my copy, it would have to be extremely dim for the 50mm 1.7 not to focus properly and in most cases like that it wouldn't focus lock.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 9:24 AM   #9

With mine wide open I can get one eye of my cat it perfect focus and the other is slightly out of focus. It has to do with the fact that you have such a big dof.

I've attached an example for you.
Attached Images

Sneezy1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:34 AM   #10

Sneezy1956 wrote:
Quote:
With mine wide open I can get one eye of my cat it perfect focus and the other is slightly out of focus. It has to do with the fact that you have such a big dof.

I've attached an example for you.
that would be SMALL dof
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote